Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Poll: if you had to make a choice from deep sea blue, silver, or brilliant black

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It wasn't an easy decision for me but I ended up ordering the Deep Sea Blue Pearl Effect for my S5 Cab. However, I'm not totally in love with that color. It was a process of elimination for me. It lightens up in the sunlight which I don't really care for. It was either that or white and since we have a white BMW 535xi wagon I thought I'd change it up. I've always had Navy colored cars but the Audi Deep Sea Blue Pearl Effect is really different. I actually prefer the dark blue on the A8 or S8 but I don't want to spend the extra $2500 to order it custom. Why Audi charges that much is crazy. It should be offered for $500 extra if it's already offered on another model.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rugg1132
No denying that the black requires a great deal from the owner to keep clean. But if you have the means/dedication to do so...NOTHING beats it!
Black was really the only color I considered, (being in the car wash business may have had something to do with that) but I do love it and really don't mind the extra handwashing every once and a while.
Same here. I've owned black cars for the past 18 years, and I considered no other color for my A5. Nothing looks better than a black car, particularly with the sexy lines of the A5.

Deep Sea Blue looks nice also, but requires almost identical maintenance to black. To me, the A5 just doesn't look as good in the silver/grey colors. But if I was more concerned about maintenance, I'd get the Quartz Gray.

I don't mind the extra maintenance of black, and I will disagree with others who imply that the car somehow looks bad when it's not 100% clean. I think it looks great even when it starts to get dirty, only looking "bad" when it gets very dirty.

Last edited by Hobbes; 03-29-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

although you didn't say it, the quartz gray or meteor gray would be a great compromise. Darker than silver which is good in my mind because the special mirrors don't stand out and the wheels match too much too. Some contrast would be so nice. The dark colors require so much maintenance.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

I had an A5 3.2 S-Line in Brilliant Black, and IMO the car looks best in that color... hands down. However, as an earlier poster said it shows ever scratch, dust spec, rock chip, etc.

If I had gone for the S5 Coupe I would have gone for Quartz Gray.

However, I went with Silver in the Cab because of the contrast with the black soft top.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

quartz grey
Old 03-29-2010, 10:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Hobbes
Same here. I've owned black cars for the past 18 years, and I considered no other color for my A5. Nothing looks better than a black car, particularly with the sexy lines of the A5.

Deep Sea Blue looks nice also, but requires almost identical maintenance to black. To me, the A5 just doesn't look as good in the silver/grey colors. But if I was more concerned about maintenance, I'd get the Quartz Gray.

I don't mind the extra maintenance of black, and I will disagree with others who imply that the car somehow looks bad when it's not 100% clean. I think it looks great even when it starts to get dirty, only looking "bad" when it gets very dirty.
I got the Deep Sea Blue and love it. I've had the car since August and no paint deficiencies. No scratches or swirlmarks yet. I recommend the color.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does it look black at night time?

If so, its like having two cars essentially.

Originally Posted by pwyll
I got the Deep Sea Blue and love it. I've had the car since August and no paint deficiencies. No scratches or swirlmarks yet. I recommend the color.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
If I had to do it again it would be quartz grey.

Good choice! BTW, even in this color, the A5 is hard to resist keeping clean. Part-time job you say - I'd like to think of it more as a labour of love - just ask my wife or my neighbors. Weather permitting, I generally clean it 2x/week...I detail my wheels every 2 or 3 days to keep the brake dust from accumulating. A5 OCD big time To the OP - I say Silver.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

go with Quartz.... I was torn between Quartz and Meteor. Ultimately I went with Meteor due to having so many silver-colored vehicle.. wanted something different this time.. but any color A5 looks HOT!
Old 04-07-2010, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've had a car in black ('99 SHO) and currently have a car in darker blue ('04 A4) and I definitely do not want another dark colored car. Meteor Gray is about as dark as I would want in a color, but wouldn't mind Daytona Gray (except for the price tag).

So it's Sprint Blue for me, unless if Imola Yellow is available as a standard color choice for the 2011 MY S5 (not willing to pay for Exclusive).

Quick Reply: Poll: if you had to make a choice from deep sea blue, silver, or brilliant black