Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Poor Controls

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atombomb33
I'm not sure about you, but I only have to press one button once to get my presets. Not multiple buttons/presses.
Yes, but the point being that since anybody who sets their presets would likely want the MMI to default to that mode, having to select it every time you start the car gets tedious.

If you've every run about town taking care of multiple errands you quickly tire of having to switch it every time you get back in the car, especially since there is no conceivable reason for having it work that way.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbes
Yes, but the point being that since anybody who sets their presets would likely want the MMI to default to that mode, having to select it every time you start the car gets tedious.

If you've every run about town taking care of multiple errands you quickly tire of having to switch it every time you get back in the car, especially since there is no conceivable reason for having it work that way.
Tedious? Really? I agree that it would be great if the presets appeared all the time without having to hit a button. But, c'mon. Tedious? Stop embellishing. Honestly, everyone is WAY overreacting to the fact that you have to hit ONE button to get your presets.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Tedious? Really? I agree that it would be great if the presets appeared all the time without having to hit a button. But, c'mon. Tedious? Stop embellishing. Honestly, everyone is WAY overreacting to the fact that you have to hit ONE button to get your presets.
Really? Start the car 5 times a day for 5 years and that's 9100 unnecessary times. This could have been fixed on the software in under 10 minutes.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
Really? Start the car 5 times a day for 5 years and that's 9100 unnecessary times. This could have been fixed on the software in under 10 minutes.
I've seen you post your complaint about this on every Audi forum in any thread about the stereo or MMI or overall complaint threads.

Let it go.

If you're so worried about pushing unnecessary buttons, stop posting silly "complaints" on the internet. You've probably typed more than 9,100 characters telling everyone how much you hate the way the presets work. So, you've already done the equivalent button pressing for something even more unnecessary such as typing these posts.

And, if it bothers you that much (and it certainly seems to since you cannot let it go), sell the car and walk away and go find happiness in a car that won't make you push any buttons.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Q
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen you post your complaint about this on every Audi forum in any thread about the stereo or MMI or overall complaint threads.

Let it go.

If you're so worried about pushing unnecessary buttons, stop posting silly "complaints" on the internet. You've probably typed more than 9,100 characters telling everyone how much you hate the way the presets work. So, you've already done the equivalent button pressing for something even more unnecessary such as typing these posts.

And, if it bothers you that much (and it certainly seems to since you cannot let it go), sell the car and walk away and go find happiness in a car that won't make you push any buttons.
I'm afraid I would have to agree...
Old 04-15-2010, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Honestly I agree with Omeletpants. I might not express my frustration as animated as he does, but it is one of the things I find most annoying with the MMI. The MMI is able to save settings like Bass/Treble/etc, but why can't it save some settings to where you left them when you turned off the engine, like Preset mode and Ipod Shuffle Mode? Many electronic components are like this, i.e. TV, radio, mp3 players. They all retain the setting/place where you were at when you turned it off.

I do notice that if I turn the engine off for a short period of time, then when I turn it back on, the settings ARE retained. For example, I'm in shuffle mode on my ipod, go to ATM real quick, and when I return I'm still in shuffle mode. If I leave the car off overnight though, the next time I drive it I'm back at the first playlist in my Ipod, with the first track playing, and no longer in Shuffle mode.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Let it go.

What planet are you from? The title of this thread is "poor MMI controls", so people are expressing their complaints and the preset complaint is a fair one.

The software is already written to revert back to previous condition so it's a 1 minute copy and paste job for Audi. If you are willing to do something that's unnecessary 9100 times then you have low standards for your life. I feel bad that quality is low on your list of requirements. Your suggestion that I should get rid of the car because I dared to complain about a poorly designed feature is a non sequitur argument used by 7th graders. Nice job.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by dreish
I just went down and confirmed that you're apparently both right. I'd never tried using the thumbwheel in radio mode (not much of a radio listener, more of an iPod guy), so I just did it now, and it gave me all the stations, not the presets I picked out a few weeks ago.

But I futzed around with the thumbwheel for a couple of minutes (can't remember the exact steps, sorry), and I was able to get it to go directly from speedometer to numbered list of presets when I scrolled without first pressing anything. I then put the MMI in nav mode, shut the car off and turned it back on, and when everything started up again and I tried turning the thumbwheel again, it again gave me presets, so it seems to stick.

Good luck, guys. I know how irritating a little thing like this can become over the course of a few months, once the glow wears off.

Interesting, I played around with it for a while last night but wasn't able to replicate that with the thumbwheel. But I did (re-)discover the "Category Filter" function (Radio -> Setup). That's pretty good because you can trim the list of satellite stations in the default list quite a bit, maybe enough that you don't even need to use the presets much.

Of course, these are very minor complaints on an awesome car! It's hard to imagine the "glow" wearing off.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

doesn't that have to do more with your Ipod than the car? I thought that if the power is cut to the Ipod for a period of time, the Ipod goes to sleep, and cancels the Shuffle-mode.

If correct, that to me does not sound like a car issue...
Old 04-15-2010, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I don't have my Ipod on me right now so I can't confirm, but I'm 99% sure it remains on Shuffle Mode even after I turn off my Ipod.

Another "issue" is that it goes back to the very first playlist in my ipod rather than the playlist I was on when I turned it off. So if wanted to continue where I left off, I would have to go to that playlist, and then change it to Shuffle mode again. I have never had to do this with any of my previous decks or on my mp3 players.

Quick Reply: Poor Controls