Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Porsche Boxster ($490) vs. Audi A5 ($470) leases .. what will u choose?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan
It's BoxSter. Please explain why it was his worst "buying decision."

And by moving up the lines, if you mean a 911 is better than a Boxster, well then you are right. But saying a Boxster sucks doesn't make sense.
We think the Cayman has a much more rigid body, and the design curve is so much better than the Boxster. That is only 2/10 of what made this the worst purchase. The other 8/10 is from what people say about that car (the poor man's Porsche). The conversation (not that many) always starts with "wow, nice Porsche, how you like the car" and then right after that, people start making reference to how the Cayman looks so great and it's worth the money to get it. The worse one is there is this dude, asking how much it cost and he was like "damn, i never thought the Boxster cost that much. Isn't it the cheapest Porsche still?" It sucks. You paid the money and what you get doesn't seem to worth that much in people's eyes.
Anyways, the new Cayman looks great and drives great so does the Boxster but if you have the money the Cayman S is the way to go (unless you really, truly want convertible but unwilling to spend a lot more money then the Boxster S).
Old 09-28-2009, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by B6S4
Leasing is quite simple actually. What you are paying for is the difference between the negotiated price of the car minus the residual value (what the leasing company believes the car is worth at the end of the lease), plus the money factor (i.e. interest rate). You can purchase the car at the end of the lease for the residual value, which is not negotiable, but may differ slightly between which leasing company you choose to go with.

Leasing is really no different from financing. You do not have title to the car in either case, the bank owns the car until all payments are made. You don't own the car after the lease is over, but with financing you don't either, say after 3 years out of a 5 year loan. You will have paid only about 60% of the loan.

That said, if you keep your car longer than 3 years financing is typically the way to go.
One quick note, when you end up purchasing the car at the end of lease, many times dealer will let you have the car for much less than the expected residual. I'm not so sure for Audi but it happens many times with BMW.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Even if the A5 is the 2.0T, I would get it over the Boxster just because of the following three reasons:

1. I don't like convertables (easy for thieves to cut the top)
2. Maintenance prices
3. Place to carry my golf clubs

Both are great cars but then, just how many A5/S5's do you see on the road. Audi has come up with a gorgeous car and I believe it will be more fun to own as well.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ACowabunga
Even if the A5 is the 2.0T, I would get it over the Boxster just because of the following three reasons:

1. I don't like convertables (easy for thieves to cut the top)
2. Maintenance prices
3. Place to carry my golf clubs

Both are great cars but then, just how many A5/S5's do you see on the road. Audi has come up with a gorgeous car and I believe it will be more fun to own as well.
I LOVE it when people say that soft tops are not safe and are easy to "cut"...let me tell you right now that it would be FAR easier for a thief to simply break a window than to try and slice through multiple layers of fabric, cables for the mechanism, and metal for the frame.

Your point about maintenance is spot on though...$175 for an oil change (although Porsches recommends you change the synthetic once every 20K miles or 1 yr in the Boxster), $500 for the 15K service which is an oil change, cabin filter, and the rest inspections, $1000 for the 30K service, etc.

I **think** that I could get a golf bag in the back trunk (Boxsters have 2!) if I remember correctly, but my bag isn't one of those monsterous ones...
Old 09-28-2009, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlueSander
We think the Cayman has a much more rigid body, and the design curve is so much better than the Boxster. That is only 2/10 of what made this the worst purchase. The other 8/10 is from what people say about that car (the poor man's Porsche). The conversation (not that many) always starts with "wow, nice Porsche, how you like the car" and then right after that, people start making reference to how the Cayman looks so great and it's worth the money to get it. The worse one is there is this dude, asking how much it cost and he was like "damn, i never thought the Boxster cost that much. Isn't it the cheapest Porsche still?" It sucks. You paid the money and what you get doesn't seem to worth that much in people's eyes.
Anyways, the new Cayman looks great and drives great so does the Boxster but if you have the money the Cayman S is the way to go (unless you really, truly want convertible but unwilling to spend a lot more money then the Boxster S).
so the car itself doesn't "suck", but what the unformed, non enthusiast thinks about the car sucks. Although, I never ran into that, most people were too busy drooling over the sheer beauty of it the sublime sound they never seemed to think it was a "poor mans" anything.

Even though this isn't a Cayman vs Boxster post, I'll say that if I were racing every day I'd take a Cayman.....but for normal, everyday enjoyable driving, you can't beat a roadster.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Even though this isn't a Cayman vs Boxster post, I'll say that if I were racing every day I'd take a Cayman.....but for normal, everyday enjoyable driving, you can't beat a roadster.
I bet you that you have never driven either one in your life if you posted suck thing.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlueSander
I bet you that you have never driven either one in your life if you posted suck thing.
As I mentioned in previous posts....I owned a 2005 Carmon Red Metallic over Sand Beige leather. Owned it from '05 to '08. I've driven several Caymans since they were released a couple of years ago. As you mentioned, your UNCLE owned a Porsche, but you never did.

So continue to post "suck things" because you obviously don't know what you're talking about.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As I mentioned in previous posts....I owned a 2005 Carmon Red Metallic over Sand Beige leather. Owned it from '05 to '08. I've driven several Caymans since they were released a couple of years ago. As you mentioned, your UNCLE owned a Porsche, but you never did.

So continue to post "suck things" because you obviously don't know what you're talking about.
Boxster is like bumper car that's why many ppl at the track will tell you that a boxster can run tracks ahead of a Cayman (but without tracking the car everyday, I would love to have a Cayman S than any others). I've driven most of the Porsche line so I'm sure I know a lot more than I should. Also, my uncle may not be like yours but he does let me have the thing for a day or two if I want so for me, owning one or my uncle own one is about the same.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Anyways, I think it's time to stop throwing **** at me. The OP ask which he should buy, my answer is as a primary driver, A5 is great but as a second car, Cayman S if he can afford it.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ive never really been a fan of the boxster - it seems people that drive them are trying to be someone they are not .. if your going to get a porsche than get the real thing caymen s or more ... the A5 on the other hand reflects confidence .. i have never driven a boxster though just the impression i get w/ that line

Quick Reply: Porsche Boxster ($490) vs. Audi A5 ($470) leases .. what will u choose?