Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Previous A5 driver (Now driving bmw)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ayap
Congrats. I also test the BMW 335is. It's a nice car. Three reasons why I went with the S5:

1) I couldn't live without Quattro for wet weather and snow and my constant drive through the mountains
2) The BMW dealer ****ed up - they wanted to sell me the one on their showroom that had red leather and they didn't want me to configure the car I want. Apparently, the salesman could not wait on his commission.
3) Audi dealer gave me a great deal - the S5 price was only $1,000+ more than the 335is. The interior & exterior of the S5 is still more attractive to me + the V8 sound. Better bang for the buck than the 335is.
Thanks! I came from A5 6cyl to 335IS and no regrets! actually I wanted a convertible car and in my budget a loaded convertible in the market could be 335IS without sacrificing the performance!
Speaking of the sound, you should listen to "IS" exhaust when you go full throttle! Audi has a quiet ride even with 8cyl. and with bmw n54-twin turbo engine, you have a lot of fun to experience!

Last edited by shawn5; 01-23-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Fithian
I had a 2007 BMW 335i Coupe 6-spd for 4 years. The run-flat tires were horrible, felt like riding on rocks. I used to look forward to winter when I could put on the non-run-flat snow tires. The ride was infinitely better. My wife's 2011 535i has the same problems.

The performance of the 335i was good and easy to control. On a cross-country trip of 8000 miles, it achieved 30 mpg. There were no maintenance problems and I sold it with the original run-flats. I recently sold the snow tires and wheels independently. The sound system was not that great, even though it had the high performance audio system.

My current ride is a 2008 A3 DSG inherited from my wife when she got the 535i. This is a great car, but there was no 2L Quattro in 2008. Before that, I had a 2002 S4 which was fantastic, but did have a number of problems that were covered by warranty. Taking it to the track probably contributed to the problems, but it was a ton of fun.

I like the S5, but not the V8. I have been waiting for two years to get the SC V6. I would like to get a stick, but I could live with the 7-DSG. Ready to place my order when the details come out. The UK site has all of the options available. The attached PDF is a UK-based configuration.
I agree that run flats don't give you a smooth driving experience. but I have 18" rims on my car and comparing to my previous audi A5 with 19" y-spoke rims, it gives me pretty much similar ride. only complain is the low profile of 335IS which makes the look sportier, but you need to be careful over the road humps or thru the ramps with sharp incline! I guess the new 3.0L engine of audi (suprcharged) could be a good competitor for N54 twin-turbo (according to tech specs), but I've never test drove one to see how it feels.

Last edited by shawn5; 01-23-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

to sum it up, more than half of you guys would have been driving a 3 series if they used regular tires. Nice! i'm looking for a used 328xi also.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Apparently, BMW was the company that created the luxury sports sedan. They've stayed true to the front engine/ rear wheel drive layout, too.

I think only recently Audi has really caught my attention.
The same goes for Nissan, for me.

In my eyes, Audi makes gorgeous cars. The company seems to highly value design & technology.
BMW is(was) about pure performance..
Old 05-10-2012, 01:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by eightyhorsepower
Apparently, BMW was the company that created the luxury sports sedan. They've stayed true to the front engine/ rear wheel drive layout, too.

I think only recently Audi has really caught my attention.
The same goes for Nissan, for me.

In my eyes, Audi makes gorgeous cars. The company seems to highly value design & technology.
BMW is(was) about pure performance..
Good observation.
Had a 2010 S4, purely for the looks and awesome engine.
Then, I realized, that was it -- the performance (steering feel, cornering...) was a joke. The "fun factor" disappeared quickly.
Back to the 335is and will never look back...

Audi has a lot of work to do to be a true PERFORMANCE competitor to the BMW. Otherwise -- a great looking VW
Old 05-10-2012, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AvantB8
Good observation.
Then, I realized, that was it -- the performance (steering feel, cornering...) was a joke. The "fun factor" disappeared quickly.

Audi has a lot of work to do to be a true PERFORMANCE competitor to the BMW. Otherwise -- a great looking VW
BMW can have their so called "performance". Here in Atlanta their a "dime a dozen"............common as a soccer mom's mini van. Boring.
My S5 is beyond amazing. I've owned 3 Beemers and this Audi S5 is in a league of it's own when it comes to pure enjoyment, quality, class, ride, fun, and uniqueness. I felt good ordering my Audi. I feel 100 times better owning and driving it.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 552 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by AvantB8
Good observation.

It's interesting that BMW has been gradually softening their cars and moving from an emphasis on the driving experience to focus more on luxury and technology. The new 5 and 3 have steering feel and handling that is rated no better than competing Audis, so you better hang on to that 335is for a long time.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PeterJay
BMW can have their so called "performance". Here in Atlanta their a "dime a dozen
Same here in Des Moines... I have friends with BMWs (335, M5, M3) and MBs and its amazing how much more attention my S5 gets over them. I have 20" Lorenzos and AWE track on her. she certainly stands out.

Also, I see a lot of comparisons between the A5 and the 335 on this thread... Is that really a fair comparison? The S5 vs 335 is what you want to be looking at. I've never driven an A5 but rest assured the S5 does not need to time to "get going".
Old 05-10-2012, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I went from BMW to Audi. For the most part, I do like BMW. But the styling of Audi is what really caught my attention. The A5/S5 is simply the best looking car in the segment. The BMW 3-series isn't a bad looking car, but everyone and their sister has one. They are literally at every corner. No thanks, I don't want a car that I see a hundred times every day.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JD15
It's interesting that BMW has been gradually softening their cars and moving from an emphasis on the driving experience to focus more on luxury and technology. The new 5 and 3 have steering feel and handling that is rated no better than competing Audis, so you better hang on to that 335is for a long time.
BMW recently went to electrically assisted steering. As a result, most reviewers think it was a step down in steering feel & precision. A friend of mine just got a brand new 328i and I drove it the other day. The steering felt like something out of a 70s Buick. You know, where it is over-assisted and you can turn with your pinky.

Quick Reply: Previous A5 driver (Now driving bmw)