Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Problem with Bang & Olufsen Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it was the sub. mine was located on the rear deck
Old 10-07-2010, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yah that speaker is dumb, worthless and pointless. It doesn't really make much bass, just rattles all the interior panels. Search my username for a write-up on how to install a sub in the trunk. I'm running a single 12" in a sealed box and it fills out the B&O system nicely. It probably still rattles the interior, but now the bass masks the rattles...
Old 10-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xDebugger
I think it was the sub. mine was located on the rear deck
Thats interesting, did they say it was blown ? Or give any further detail ? Mine has had this problem from the outset so I'm not sure how it could have shipped already blown ...
Old 10-12-2010, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have since replaced my B&O with an aftermarket sub and amp. Before I did that, I had pulled the rear deck off and put some dynamat across the rear deck in hopes of improving (at least a little) the performance of the stock B&O. In doing this, I had solved my rattle issue that was coming from back there at higher volumes and certain bass frequencies. I don't know if its the dynamat that fixed the problem or if something was loose and was corrected when I put the thing back together, but that noise was gone regardless after that.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by td80
I have since replaced my B&O with an aftermarket sub and amp. Before I did that, I had pulled the rear deck off and put some dynamat across the rear deck in hopes of improving (at least a little) the performance of the stock B&O. In doing this, I had solved my rattle issue that was coming from back there at higher volumes and certain bass frequencies. I don't know if its the dynamat that fixed the problem or if something was loose and was corrected when I put the thing back together, but that noise was gone regardless after that.

So when we say "rattle" are we talking like just a minor annoyance ? Cuz i've got some serious vibration going on in the rear deck, makes listening to bass heavy music near impossible.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BKblue
So when we say "rattle" are we talking like just a minor annoyance ? Cuz i've got some serious vibration going on in the rear deck, makes listening to bass heavy music near impossible.
It was pretty major... I only occasionally listen to anything witha lot of steady long bass notes, but when I did, wow it was annoying. I'm pretty particular about rattles and things so that bothered me immediately when I was first playing around with the B&O system after I got the car.

Aside from the sound isolation, the dynamat made that rear deck cover fit a lot tighter as well as isolated the wires that connect the subwoofer and trunk light from vibrating against the metal surface of the rear deck.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an S5 cab and the passenger door speaker rattles pretty nicely during certain bass notes.

I am definitely going to have the dealer look at this when I go in for my first service. Hopefully they can fix it. I can't stand speaker rattle. When you pay big bux for a superior B&O audio system, you want it to sound good!
Old 12-23-2010, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by td80
I had to do something very similar. My back deck was rattling like a rusty old screen door for almost any type of music, even at really low levels.

I lifted up the back deck and stuffed a **** ton of poly-fill batting between the fiberboard desk and the body's metal. I had to even put some speaker vibration damper (putty like stuff) between the B&O sub housing and the body.

Really, really, really, poorly executed sound system option IMO. The whole thing sounds great... now... but from what I saw under the back deck, there was no way it was built up well enough to deal with a sub woofer. Is there a subwoofer on the back deck of the non B&O system?
Old 06-05-2014, 09:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Old member, and been away for some time...

I bought a 2012 S4 about a week ago, and I love it. The trouble is I felt like the B&O radio wasn't sounding great, so I started tinkering with it and listening to each zone independent of one another to ensure every place was putting out appropriate sounds levels. Well, my concerns were substantiated when I noticed that the rear speakers were putting out next to no sound. The rear speakers on the doors seemed to be doing fine, but the rear deck was awful...

That got me to worrying...the guy I bought the car from had the windows tinted, including the rear window. I worry that the shop he used ruined something by using too much water. I just wonder if they would be producing any sound of that was the case. They are making sound, but they are absolutely flat. When I say flat, I mean flat... No bass whatsoever.

I also think the radio could be stronger and cleaner too for 500+ watts, but maybe that's just a shortcoming due to the lack of rear sound.

What do you think, could the amp have pooped the bed? The car is warrantied yet, but I have read all kinda of horror stories over the past 24 hours pertaining to warranty and the sound system.

This has me a bit worried... Umm...help?