Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

problem: volume resets everytime the car starts

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have the volume problem but do have my treble, bass, and mid reset everytime i shut the car off and then restart it.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atombomb33
By the way, it's not a "problem" as the OP calls it. Well, I guess it's a problem when you don't understand your car and won't take the time to find out how the features work
Understanding how they work doesn't mean they are not going to be annoying to some people. It's like having to jiggle the handle on a running toilet.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by perdido34
Understanding how they work doesn't mean they are not going to be annoying to some people. It's like having to jiggle the handle on a running toilet.
Well, in this specific instance, he was calling it a "problem" because he didn't understand how it worked. He even states he doesn't mind that it resets, he just didn't like that it reset to a higher volume level than he prefers. Now, if he knew how the system worked and knew that he could adjust the volume level to reset at a lower volume, he wouldn't have posted this thread and wouldn't have thought it was a "problem."
Old 04-15-2010, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

will RTFM first before posting, thanks
Old 04-15-2010, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you read the owner's manual, you'll see that there is a process to adjust the "turn-on" volume for your car. You can set it to whatever sound level you want (within a range).
But you can't turn the radio completely off (i.e., mute it) without having it start up again the next time you drive the car. Oh, and I did RTFM and couldn't find a way to do this. If you know of one, please share it, because I haven't seen any other posts in which people were able to do this.

Let me put in a vote for intuitive vehicle controls for simple and commonly used features, like radio and wiper operation. A driver shouldn't have to study a manual in order to find out how to turn off the radio--and in the current 4/5 series Audis, you can't make it stay off. For more complicated vehicle systems, such as nav or ADS or adaptive cruise or "the jukebox"--it is entirely reasonable that the driver should expect to study the manual thoroughly.

Having said this, I would add that IMO the control flaws of the Audi are relatively minor issues. But their relatively less significant status shouldn't cause forum readers to POUNCE on someone who posts a complaint about them.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by perdido34
But you can't turn the radio completely off (i.e., mute it) without having it start up again the next time you drive the car. Oh, and I did RTFM and couldn't find a way to do this. If you know of one, please share it, because I haven't seen any other posts in which people were able to do this.

Let me put in a vote for intuitive vehicle controls for simple and commonly used features, like radio and wiper operation. A driver shouldn't have to study a manual in order to find out how to turn off the radio--and in the current 4/5 series Audis, you can't make it stay off. For more complicated vehicle systems, such as nav or ADS or adaptive cruise or "the jukebox"--it is entirely reasonable that the driver should expect to study the manual thoroughly.

Having said this, I would add that IMO the control flaws of the Audi are relatively minor issues. But their relatively less significant status shouldn't cause forum readers to POUNCE on someone who posts a complaint about them.
Well, now you've brought up something different than what the OP mentioned (muting the stereo and having it remain muted on start up). If you want complete mute on start up, that doesn't exist. And the majority of consumers don't want mute on start up so Audi will not design for the minority, yet they will design for the majority who want the stereo volume on at start up...they've just gone a step further and allowed the turn-on volume to be user-adjustable...that's a pretty ingenious feature to have. Back to your thing about mute, you can preset your turn-on volume to the lowest level which is barely audible. What more do you want?

And, you don't have to read the manual to figure out this feature. I found it within a couple minutes of playing with the settings. I only mentioned the owner's manual because it is mentioned in there for the owners who can't/won't play with the settings to figure these things out.

It sounds like you still don't understand the feature and are continuing to bash it, rather than going out to your car and adjusting it to your liking.

Last edited by atombomb33; 04-15-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, now you've brought up something different than what the OP mentioned (muting the stereo and having it remain muted on start up). If you want complete mute on start up, that doesn't exist.
Are you sure? My 07 'Q7 and my '10 S4 stay muted on startup-just tested them both in my garage. Can't imagine why the 5's would not do it.

could be wrong.....
Old 04-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It definitely does stay muted on start-up, as long as you mute it before you turn it off of course.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audiforumusername
It definitely does stay muted on start-up, as long as you mute it before you turn it off of course.
I stand corrected

I didn't realize it did that, because, well I've never seen any reason for it.

Thanks for clarifying
Old 04-16-2010, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IAS5
Are you sure? My 07 'Q7 and my '10 S4 stay muted on startup-just tested them both in my garage. Can't imagine why the 5's would not do it.

could be wrong.....
My '09 A5 stays muted upon startup if I left it that way when I shut off the car.

Quick Reply: problem: volume resets everytime the car starts