Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Prospective Buyer - Sunroof Warning

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prospective Buyer - Sunroof Warning

Just be aware that the sunroof will let in the sun on your head even with the "shade" closed as the shade is a piece of woven stuff. And then if you tint the glass, it becomes more heated and you have a piece of hot glass inches from your head. This would not normally be a problem with a conventional moonroof, but with the sunroof there is no insulation or sliding solid panel or anything to separate you from the hot glass.

So just test it really well in the sun before you buy! Some people like it. I don't. Just my opinion.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I have to disagree with your tint comment. The whole purpose of tinting is to cut down the heat through the glass by deflecting some of the sun's rays outward thereby reducing radiation to the inside.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I have to disagree with your tint comment. The whole purpose of tinting is to cut down the heat through the glass by deflecting some of the sun's rays outward thereby reducing radiation to the inside.
You are correct when you say "through the glass." It DOES stop the sun's rays through the glass. But the temperature of the glass with two tints on it, a factory one plus the one you put on INCREASES the glass temperature. That is exactly what I was saying.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Actually, S4iner is probably right. I'm a mechanical engineer, specializing in HVAC energy savings, which often consists of investigating building window replacements and tinting.

Glass has three parameters to look at when determining its effect on energy and heat.
  1. Transmittance - Amount of light, and hence energy and heat that passes through the glass
  2. Reflectance - Amount of light reflected off of the glass
  3. Absorbance - Amount of light absorbed into the glass material itself

When you add a tint, both your transmittance and reflectance drop, but your absorbance will increase. So the light energy transferred to the interior cabin of the car will be less, effectively reducing the temperature. However, the glass itself will be hotter because it is absorbing more heat.

I hope that's clear.

So, how often do you touch the glass of your sunroof? I have never touched it from the inside or outside except when cleaning it.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by vigilan388
Actually, S4iner is probably right. I'm a mechanical engineer, specializing in HVAC energy savings, which often consists of investigating building window replacements and tinting.

Glass has three parameters to look at when determining its effect on energy and heat.
  1. Transmittance - Amount of light, and hence energy and heat that passes through the glass
  2. Reflectance - Amount of light reflected off of the glass
  3. Absorbance - Amount of light absorbed into the glass material itself

When you add a tint, both your transmittance and reflectance drop, but your absorbance will increase. So the light energy transferred to the interior cabin of the car will be less, effectively reducing the temperature. However, the glass itself will be hotter because it is absorbing more heat.

I hope that's clear.

So, how often do you touch the glass of your sunroof? I have never touched it from the inside or outside except when cleaning it.
So if I understand what you are saying, the tint reduces the heat into the cabin but the glass gets hotter. I believe that's what I was getting at, that the tint will deflect some heat away from the car's interior. The OP gave the impression that tint made the heat worse in the car. As you indicated, most people don't touch the sunroof glass but if tint reduces the heat transference to the passengers, I believe that would be a benefit of tinting it. Less heat in the car.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, so OP has a concern with a hot glass, inches from his head. Not sure why. The logic in the glass being hotter is correct.

You are correct, as well.

So put it all together, and you guys are both right. Tint does wonders on reducing heat load in cars and building alike. It's a shame that front tint is illegal in so many states, but driver safety is also a concern.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by vigilan388
Yes, so OP has a concern with a hot glass, inches from his head. Not sure why. The logic in the glass being hotter is correct.

You are correct, as well.

So put it all together, and you guys are both right. Tint does wonders on reducing heat load in cars and building alike. It's a shame that front tint is illegal in so many states, but driver safety is also a concern.
Because I don't want to feel heat above my head. The fix is easy for Audi but impossible for us - to put a sliding cover like on the moonroof.