Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Purchasing Experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing Experience

The S5 is a wonderful car. Love at first sight. We were ready to order ... until we had to deal with our local Audi dealer.

We have been Audi fans since many years: Audi 100 Coupe, Audi 80, A4 Avant and now the A3 3.2. The cars are spectacular, but the Audi customer experience is like going to the dentist.

Now we are ready to spend over $50K for the S5 and as excited as we are about the car, the dealership might be the deal breaker.

Is this a local issue? Are there better dealers out there?<ul><li><a href="http://ichkalliope.typepad.com/ich_kalliope/2007/11/its-the-experie.html">It's the Experience</a></li></ul>
Old 11-25-2007, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default In my experience, it's been hit-or-miss with Audi dealerships. I haven't been to many BMW ones,

but I'd say our local Audi dealership is a little better than the BMW down the street(wife's been looking at the X5). Both wife and I feel that we have to be high-ballers just to walk into the BMW dealership and get some attention.

Sorry to hear about your pains with Audi. Maybe that'll be an excuse to take European delivery with the S5, or the 535xi for that matter--can't go wrong with either car.

By the way, that's a very quality blog that you (or your wife) have there.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Feeding traffic to your forum?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:44 AM
BBT
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I know what you mean, re: BMW dealerships

I spent a couple hours at a BMW dealership last week while my Mini Cooper S was getting serviced across the street. I took a close look at several cars on the showroom floor for several minutes and not one person asked if I had any questions. Of course they judge a book by it's cover as I was wearing jeans and a hoodie. But the morons don't realize this is the bay area/silicon valley where you can't figure out what someone makes, especially based on appearance. And I am in the market for a new car with an S5 on order. The three Audi dealerships I've been to around me have all been friendly and helpful, and a much different "aura".

But I suppose the reality is BMW have demand stacked in their favor, and don't need to be as hungry for sales. America loves loves loves BMW.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Clothes to wear to a car dealer

Dad (now deceased, was a carpenter) taught me to go into a dealership wearing blue jeans with patches if possible. Always seemed to help knock the price down. Plus, the sales reps who will talk to you are the most unpretentious ones.

Works for me.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Went to look at the ultimate driving machine, 3 litre twin coupe, was asked to come back when they

were not so busy. This was during the middle of the week. They must have been giving them away or thought I was just a stroker as I was in my 95 S6.
The last time I was in a BMW dealership and they seemed to really want my business was back in 79 when I drove a 5 series. Nice car but the AC drain was filling up the floor on the passanger side. Wife could not understand why her feet were getting wet.
I finally went back a couple of weeks later to this dealership and drove the car. Comments and S5 statistical comp are in an earlier post. Just received a coupon for $50 towards life style merchandise to go test drive one again. Could sales be slowing down? Now it will not cost me to get one of my bimmer buddies a gift.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Purchasing Experience

So sory to hear that. My S5 is my 3rd audi and 4th from my salesman (followed him from infiniti when I bought my son's 2006 A6). New Jersey dealer, Paul Miller Audi, salesman's name Steve Seigal. Had them all, MB's, BMW's, Infinti's and this is by far the best purchasing experience I've had.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Purchasing Experience

Make that an A4...not an A6
Old 11-26-2007, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interesting, I had the opposite experience as you....

BMW dealerships around here are terrible.... My Audi dealership, not the same. Try calling John Suh at Audi of Westwood (formerly, Clair Audi)
Old 11-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I've also had opposite experiences.

So far no luck at all dealing with BMW guys, but the Audi guys are good to work with.

I've dealt with 1 BMW dealer and 2 Audi.

Every time I speak to BMW, they try to steer me into another car to look at / test drive. I recognize test drive cars are limited, but why would I want to drive a 328i sedan when I'm interested in a 335xi coupe?

Quick Reply: Purchasing Experience