Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

R8 compared to S5 in terms of daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R8 compared to S5 in terms of daily driver?

hi. im looking for a new car to be my one and only daily driver. i only like 2 cars - the S5 and R8...the problem is i CANT STAND the fact that the A5 (which looks exactly the same looking as the S5) will soon be EVERYWHERE. i never want to be a part of a pack, i always want to go the route less taken. thats how i live my life with everything. which is why when it comes to cars, my rule is no bmws, no mercedes, no g35's, no A5's etc.

the only way to fight against this is to buy a more expensive car. so i was thinking of maybe the R8 instead of the S5. the problem is i live in NYC and would like to know the downside of owning a car like this here instead of the S5

how will parking be?
will the billions of potholes affect me?
cops?

etc. etc.

can anyone help me thanks!
Old 09-22-2009, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL
Old 09-22-2009, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FuelStar
hi. im looking for a new car to be my one and only daily driver. i only like 2 cars - the S5 and R8...the problem is i CANT STAND the fact that the A5 (which looks exactly the same looking as the S5) will soon be EVERYWHERE. i never want to be a part of a pack, i always want to go the route less taken. thats how i live my life with everything. which is why when it comes to cars, my rule is no bmws, no mercedes, no g35's, no A5's etc.

the only way to fight against this is to buy a more expensive car. so i was thinking of maybe the R8 instead of the S5. the problem is i live in NYC and would like to know the downside of owning a car like this here instead of the S5

how will parking be?
will the billions of potholes affect me?
cops?

etc. etc.

can anyone help me thanks!
If you can afford an R8, I think potholes should be the least of your worries.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

well i COULD afford one, but when i say i can afford one. i dont mean that im a millionaire...so potholes DO worry me
Old 09-22-2009, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll make a scene everywhere you go with the R8. Do you really want that?
Old 09-23-2009, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FuelStar
well i COULD afford one, but when i say i can afford one. i dont mean that im a millionaire...so potholes DO worry me
If you're not a millionaire, get the S5. It's a lot better value for the money - probably the best on the market as far as styling, performance, rarity, etc.

I'd only get an R8 if money wasn't an issue - meaning you drop a check on the Finance guy's desk for the whole thing and won't miss the 120-130+K a bit.

Take the money you'd throw into an R8 and invest it or just save it for a rainy day.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:19 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

The R8 is purportedly a fabulous daily driver for what it is. But the car will draw a lot of attention. And it is certainly not as practical as the S5.

My one experience driving in NYC was in a Chevy Blazer. Frankly, I was glad to have that sort of vehicle duking it out with taxis, busses and cratered street.

And let's keep things in perspective. In the grand scheme of the US auto market the A5/S5 is always going to be a rather small slice of the overall market. Sure you probably live in an area where they may be a greater percentage of the cars you'll see daily. But the same can be said of all the other premium cars out there. I live in an area with some very nice cars around. But I see more Bentleys than A5/S5s. Frankly, most folks prefer the sedans.

What are your actual needs? Will you need a large trunk with fold down rear seats? Do you ever have more than one companion in the car? Would you rather be stealthy? Or do you want to draw attention to yourself everywhere you go? Not that the S5 isn't a looker but the R8 will draw attention like few other cars.

Finally, my guess is there is not a single R8 owner for whom the R8 is their only car. It's the kind of car you own when you already have your more practical needs covered by other rolling stock.

Save the money. Get the more practical vehicle.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

you said the S5 is good in terms of rarity. i agree on the other things you im not so sure about rarity. with the recent price cut in the 2010 A5 2.0 ...i expect to see these things everywhere soon

its not like the common person will know the difference...theyre not going to say "oh but thats the high performance version that costs 20k more! you can tell by the grill!!"

no, they will just be like "oh my neighbor has that car, its the car with the crazy lights, i was thinking of getting 1 myself"

thats something i DONT want
Old 09-23-2009, 04:31 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

Maybe you should get the S5 in this thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2763552
Old 09-23-2009, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There was a lengthy discussion a few weeks back that applies here:

Now that the 2010 A5 is cheaper, will everyone have one?

Quick Reply: R8 compared to S5 in terms of daily driver?