Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

R8 compared to S5 in terms of daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 04:43 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbes
There was a lengthy discussion a few weeks back that applies here:

Now that the 2010 A5 is cheaper, will everyone have one?
FuelStar started that thread I believe.

The forum in which you may want to ask this question is the R8 forum. I'm sure those guys can tell you more about its daily drivability.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FuelStar
you said the S5 is good in terms of rarity. i agree on the other things you im not so sure about rarity. with the recent price cut in the 2010 A5 2.0 ...i expect to see these things everywhere soon

its not like the common person will know the difference...theyre not going to say "oh but thats the high performance version that costs 20k more! you can tell by the grill!!"

no, they will just be like "oh my neighbor has that car, its the car with the crazy lights, i was thinking of getting 1 myself"

thats something i DONT want
Good point, I suppose. But, I don't think the A5 will be supplied to create a flooding of the market. Audi's bread and butter is the A4 and all its variations.

What have you been driving up till now that's created such an individual statement, road less traveled, not running with the pack?

If I wanted to throw my disposable income at a car, it would probably be an Aston Martin. There's something you don't see everday.

I agree with Aerosmith, the R8 is not a sole car to own. It's something you have in addition to your main car.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you have the money the you should just buy the S5 now, when it gets flooded, sell it then get another car that's rare in the beginning. Or yea just get the R8 or Aston Martin DBS or something.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tiger4366

I agree with Aerosmith, the R8 is not a sole car to own. It's something you have in addition to your main car.
Whre I live, my Audi dealer says most of their R8 buyers already own and plan to keep their other high end sports car(s).
Old 09-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

FuelStar-Dont worry about how you are perceived and buy a car you will enjoy. I live in New York, and an R8 is just not practical in the city, unless you have 2 other cars. Get over your insecurities, who cares what anyone thinks, and buy an S5.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i agree w/ a5dude
just get the s5 save yourself the headache of owning an r8 (potholes, parking, dings, dents) for now
until you see an a5/s5 every 2 feet you dont have anything to worry about.
however you said your Dealer says "all those who own an r8 plan to keep it..."
doesnt that mean there are quite a few r8 owners already in your neighborhood?
Old 09-23-2009, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

you said the S5 is good in terms of rarity. i agree on the other things you im not so sure about rarity. with the recent price cut in the 2010 A5 2.0 ...i expect to see these things everywhere soon

its not like the common person will know the difference...theyre not going to say "oh but thats the high performance version that costs 20k more! you can tell by the grill!!"

no, they will just be like "oh my neighbor has that car, its the car with the crazy lights, i was thinking of getting 1 myself"

I think it really depends on where you are driving the car. Around the streets of NYC and parking in public lots and metered street spaces the R8 could get easily hurt. If you are living in NYC, leaving the car in a secure indoor garage and use it primarily to go to a weekend house upstate or Long Island every Fri. PM, then it might be different. The R8 I think will be a lot more expensive to insure, however - I hate spending money on insurance!! I believe you can be somewhat exclusive without being overly showy. What about a nice A8 if you want an Audi? I might choose a cheaper but just as exclusive Lotus Evora when they come over here.

Last edited by irenesbob; 09-23-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Trust me they know the dif

Trust me everyone knows the A5 from the S5!!!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tiger4366
Good point, I suppose. But, I don't think the A5 will be supplied to create a flooding of the market. Audi's bread and butter is the A4 and all its variations.

What have you been driving up till now that's created such an individual statement, road less traveled, not running with the pack?

If I wanted to throw my disposable income at a car, it would probably be an Aston Martin. There's something you don't see everday.

Not if you live in/near Beverly Hills..when I was on Rodeo Dr and the surrounding streets I saw about 10 Aston Martins in the span of 30 minutes haha
Old 09-24-2009, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by buiyahkah
Not if you live in/near Beverly Hills..when I was on Rodeo Dr and the surrounding streets I saw about 10 Aston Martins in the span of 30 minutes haha
Fair enough, I was referring to the greater Phila Area. I see more Bentley's here than AM's.

There is a dealer nearby, FC Kerbeck, who's a dealer in Rolls Royce, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Maserati, and Bentley. So even these are more prevalent than they used to be.

Oddly enough, in my neighborhood over the past 2 years, an Aston Martin, a Lamborghini, and a Bentley have appeared. The development has become little-Moscow and they love their high-end cars.

I feel like the poor American now rolling up in an S5!

Quick Reply: R8 compared to S5 in terms of daily driver?