Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Rear Passenger access and Front seat repositioning

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Passenger access and Front seat repositioning

Hi,

I recently bought a 2012 A5 Coupe, today I came across the first design fault. When you allow a rear passenger, you have you then slide the front seat all the way back on the sliders (this crushing your child's legs) to then get the back part of your seat back into position, followed by pulling your seat forward back into position.

If an adult tries it, then there simply not enough room to allow the front seat to go all the way back to get it in position (the only way I can do this is for the adult rear passenger to swing their legs over into the footwell next to them, allowing room for the seat to go back. If there is another passenger in that seat, they have to rest their legs on them while the front seat is put back by the driver or front passenger.

Is their anyway round this?

Or is this a major design fault? If it is, they might as well have made this a 2 seater with a big boot! FFS

Thanks,
Craig
Old 09-20-2017, 11:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think the seat goes back to the last position, not all the way back. At least thats the way I think my 2014 S5 does it.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ADAMS5
I think the seat goes back to the last position, not all the way back. At least thats the way I think my 2014 S5 does it.
Thanks, the drivers seat must be faulty then, possible a part missing as it slides all the way back and touches the back seat..
Old 09-20-2017, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

With my '15 S5 coupe, the few times I've had adults in the rear, after tilting the seatback fwd, we use the toggle control on back of headrest to move the seats fwd enough to allow "easy" entry. Then, once the passengers (in rear) are settled in, I ask them to use the toggle control to move the seat back until they are comfortable with position relative to their legs.

So far, I've had no issue with not having enough room to sit in the driver's seat and my wife has no issue with the front passenger seat either (of course, she's kind of petite so not ever going to be an issue...).

The tallest people (almost 6') that have sat in the rear have mentioned that -- surprisingly -- they were very comfortable. So, I'm giving kudos to Audi Design for actually making a coupe comfortable enough for four adults.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by OlyS5
With my '15 S5 coupe, the few times I've had adults in the rear, after tilting the seatback fwd, we use the toggle control on back of headrest to move the seats fwd enough to allow "easy" entry. Then, once the passengers (in rear) are settled in, I ask them to use the toggle control to move the seat back until they are comfortable with position relative to their legs.

So far, I've had no issue with not having enough room to sit in the driver's seat and my wife has no issue with the front passenger seat either (of course, she's kind of petite so not ever going to be an issue...).

The tallest people (almost 6') that have sat in the rear have mentioned that -- surprisingly -- they were very comfortable. So, I'm giving kudos to Audi Design for actually making a coupe comfortable enough for four adults.
Thanks - had it to the garage, there is a 'lug' missing one of the sliders that stops is sliding all the way to the rear seat. Must be some type of stopper. They are going to order one if they can or of not replace the seat!
Old 12-29-2020, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Anyone have an update here? I have a similar problem with my A4 B8 passenger side. All the functions work except moving forward (moves back up/down, etc). There is no dimming of lights, nothing stuck in the rails and all the wires are plugged in. Any ideas are welcomed.
Old 06-01-2024, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The cable to release and fold down my car's rear seat is broken, making it really inconvenient to load larger items. This kind of hassle reminds me of how important it is to have reliable services, whether for car repairs or something like brochure design Dubai. Finding a trustworthy provider can make all the difference in avoiding unnecessary stress and complications.
Old 06-18-2024, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Rear seat back cable release broke, seat in upright locked

I read the threads on fixing a broken release for the rear seat backs in a 2018 A5 Cabriolet as mine also broke. WHAT A NIGHTMARE REPAIR!!!!! It is easy to fix this problem when the seat back is down. But of course the seat back will be up when you discover the cable/latch is broken. I have worked on cars for forty years and have rarely encountered such a terrible design and problem to repair. I'll also say it is a total disappointment to have a $60,000 car with such cheap and poorly designed parts as this seat latch. OK enough complaining.

To fix the broken latch, first order a new latch, you may as well order both sides. My local dealer wanted $215 each, but I found them at a dealer in Maryland for $135. After inspecting the latch I concluded there is a small rectangular hole in the top of the latch where you might be able to release the latch, I said might. To get at the latch you have to lower the top and stop when the top is down and the metal cover is starting to close. At that point you can remove the plastic covers and at least see the latch. The opening from the top is very small, not more than 1/4 to 1/2 inch. After trying to make a tool to get into that tempting little rectangular "release" hole I finally gave up because there just doesn't seem to be any way to release the latch through that hole.

In a last ditch and terribly hard effort I used a drill to drill out the two large rivets that hold the top and bottom of the latch assembly together. I will tell you this is not at all easy and if you don't have great patients and good skills don't even attempt this fix. I'm retired so I have the luxury of time so I worked on and off at this task for a couple of days. The problem is access. You can't get good access to drill the latch and drilling into the latch several times did nothing but nearly break my wrist when the drill caught on the tough metal. I finally managed to drill out the rivets on the top side and then with a heavy hammer and a lot of force I finally beat the latch apart and the seat released!!!!! YEA!!!!!

But, even with the latch released there are more nightmares. Fortunately for me the initial break was the cheap plastic piece the cable attaches to in the latch. To remove the latch itself you have to take the cable out of the latch and remove the latch from the inside of the cabin. Reviewing the manual I realized that replacing the cable was going to take a huge amount of removing panels inside the trunk compartment. Since the cable is steel and the connector on the end is steel I don't think it will break any time soon. So I opted to just replace both of the latches and leave the cable alone. Removing the unbroken latch on the driver's side was easy WITH THE SEAT BACK DOWN.

Down the road if needed I have the release handles (located in the trunk) and the cables if they break, GOD I HOPE NOT! My local dealer gave me an "estimate" of $1,500 to replace the one broken latch but emphasized that the number was only an estimate and it could be more because there is not a straight forward procedure they can use to price the work.

Bottom line is if the release for the seat backs break either try to live with it or take out a second mortgage and have someone fix it unless you have a lot of time, patience and temper control.