Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Review: Stratmosphere Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review: Stratmosphere Short Shifter

I had this installed earlier this week and after a few days, I wanted to provide some feedback, as follows:

PRO'S
1. Price - for $149, this a no-brainer
2. The advertised 45% throw reduction is there and possibly a bit more.
3. The shifter has a better "weight" to it. Not remotely "snick snick" light but instead a nice, involving snap of two or three fingers to shift.
4. Easy, quick install without the need for any interior part removal.

CON'S
1. When initially installed, I couldn't get reverse. My mechanic put the car back up on the lift and easily figured-out that the reverse gear lockout needed to be re-aligned (he apparently ignored the instructions to mark this with a Sharpie before disassembly). Therefore, not a "con" but more a word to the wise!
2. Reverse is a tad more difficult to get than with the factory shifter

http://stratmosphere.com/shifters.htm
Old 03-19-2010, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

QuattroWerks,

I appreciate your Pro and Con list but really don't have a feel from your post as to how much you feel this has improved the quality of shifting. I have a new six speed and feel that there is a great deal of room for improvement and am hopeful that a solution like this is the answer.

Please post additional findings as you drive more. Overall, how satisfied are you with the improvements mentioned in your Pro list?
Old 03-22-2010, 01:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by donaldp
QuattroWerks,

I appreciate your Pro and Con list but really don't have a feel from your post as to how much you feel this has improved the quality of shifting. I have a new six speed and feel that there is a great deal of room for improvement and am hopeful that a solution like this is the answer.

Please post additional findings as you drive more. Overall, how satisfied are you with the improvements mentioned in your Pro list?
"Quality" is a relative term. If looking for a shorter throw, then Stramosphere has nailed it. That being said, the shifter is not "snick snick" smooth and quick (think Miata or S2000) but I think this is probably a function of Audi's design as the notichiness is the same; even after the short shifter install.

I'm definitely happy with it after one week and will report back later this week with additional findings.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Agree with QuattroWerks. Here's my impression:

- Throw - definitely ~50% decrease. Shorter throw than my B5 Stratmosphere.

- Feel - Not 'snick-snick'. A little firmer than stock, but not stiff. Probably on par with stock feel of some other makes. Considering it changes the linkage at the base, this is expected ('Ye canno change the laws of physics').
Remember this is a short-throw, not a short-height shifter. I like the stock **** height, but if you want a true short-shifter, JHM makes one.

- Alignment - Very precise. Reverse is not hard to get into. I marked the shifter shaft on install, and have perfect alignment now. I was also worried about accidentally hitting the wrong gear, but there's enough feel to prevent this.

- Gestalt - Excellent bang-for-the-buck improvement. Sure it won't decrease strip times (OK, I don't drag anyways), but it gives the feel that an S5 or S-line should have come from the factory with.

Some tips:
- If you don't have a lift, give yourself an hour.
I'm obsessive-compulsive. After double- and triple-checking everything, it took me ~1 hour, from driving into the garage to driving out.
- Have all the tools, including socket versions of all bits.
The instructions are deceiving in that it looks like you have plenty of room. Actually, the exhaust pipes and driveshaft (for Quattro cars) are in the way. Make sure your torque wrench's range accommodates 1 lb-ft or less. A ratcheting 10mm wrench also helps.
- Mark the shifter shaft!
I did this and have no alignment problems.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by QuattroWerks
I had this installed earlier this week and after a few days, I wanted to provide some feedback, as follows:

PRO'S
1. Price - for $149, this a no-brainer
2. The advertised 45% throw reduction is there and possibly a bit more.
3. The shifter has a better "weight" to it. Not remotely "snick snick" light but instead a nice, involving snap of two or three fingers to shift.
4. Easy, quick install without the need for any interior part removal.

CON'S
1. When initially installed, I couldn't get reverse. My mechanic put the car back up on the lift and easily figured-out that the reverse gear lockout needed to be re-aligned (he apparently ignored the instructions to mark this with a Sharpie before disassembly). Therefore, not a "con" but more a word to the wise!
2. Reverse is a tad more difficult to get than with the factory shifter

http://stratmosphere.com/shifters.htm
hi

does the Hipershift fit to the 3.0 TDI Manual tranmission?

thanks
Old 01-14-2012, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have used the stratosphere shifter for a long time and it works really great. I bought into all the hype and recently got the JHM shifter. While it is really nice, the only difference I can tell is that it holds my shift **** more firmly-my **** weighs 2.2 lb.

Since I had the Strat unit just sitting around, Ill like it go for 75 plus 10 for shipping if anyone is interested