Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

road-trip New York to Montana

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uroplatus
artiseenu,

As one of the other responders said, if you still feel energized after getting to Minnesota, then head further west and extend your trip.

I've taken many long trips over the years, but the one I remember and cherish best is the one I took from NY, heading west (in a similar path as you'll be taking) to the Pacific, and then looping back around. It was in a 1987 V8 Mustang, for 2 or 3 months and 14,000 miles. I saw over 20 States and over 30 National Parks and Monuments, as well as a lot of oddities along the smaller routes. Gas back then was $1.40/gallon for premium, and I spent a total of $625 on gas for the whole trip. I stayed in a lot of small motels, but they were decent places, some for as little as $15/night (they were charging $25, but I talked them down to $15).
It wasn't planned as the trip of a lifetime, but it turned out to be that. I had a travel companion with me, but there were many times I wished that I had been alone because there were so many opportunities...
I met a lot of great people and saw a lot of neat places. It made me realize that there is a lifetime worth of things to see in America.

I could write a book on all the awesome things I saw on my trip and the cool people I met. If you're young-at-heart, and you've got the time and the money to extend your trip, then you should do it. You might not fully appreciate it now, but someday you'll look back and be glad you did it.

If you're not sure about where to head, get a book (or look at a website) on National Parks, and let those locations guide your journey. Yellowstone (in Wyoming) is incredible. And Grand Tetons is right below it. Glacier (in Montana) is also a great place. And if you can go further west, there is lots to see in Washington State. And lots to see in California, and Arizona, and Utah, and New Mexico...

I'll bet you'll meet a lot of people just because of the impressive car that you drive.
Who knows, you might meet someone on your trip who could become your "significant other".

Its probably a rare opportunity to take such a trip, so GO FOR IT !
you basically summed it up for me. i would have rested enough in MN so will be definitely energized. and guess i still consider myself young at heart and being single always looking for opportunities and as you said you never know...
driving also gives me time to contemplate that's why just me and my music is extremely refreshing and productive in terms of the new ideas that just pop up in my mind. i will also be carrying my portable telescope and hopefully will be able to capture milkyway and deep sky images. new york is too lit for that.

"When it is dark enough you can see the stars."
-Charles A. Beard
Old 08-08-2011, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Heck, I've driven a Pinto station wagon coast to coast (MA to SoCal) in 3.5 days with my brother and a dog (and no a/c). An A5 should afford a much nicer trip.

Wyoming is beautiful; go for it.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Montana

I'm picking my brand new Q5 from the Audi dealer in Montana in November. After a few days back home we'll be driving it back to San Diego. Looking forward to the road trip. We may try to arrange a detour to see the Grand Canyon or Zion on the way.

Having made numerous road trips from Montana back to see extended family in Minnesota (in the civic I still own) its worth mentioning a few sites on the path between. Note there are two ways there, I-90 and I-94. They meet in Billings, MT where I-94 ends and I-90 continues west to Seattle. West of Billings you'll be within a few hours of Mountains and Yellowstone Park.

If you take the southern route I-90 or nearby highways:
  • South Dakota
    • The Corn Palace in Mitchell South Dakota
    • Wall Drug
    • Black hills
    • Mt. Rushmore
    • Deadwood
    • Sturgis
    • Crazy Horse Monument
  • Wyoming
    • Not much in the northeast corner of the state
  • Montana
    • Little Big Horn Battlefield
If you take the northern route on I-94 (warning, not as much in South Dakota)
  • North Dakota
    • In the west, the badlands, and Teddy Roosevelt related stuff
    • Somewhere in the middle an artist has large metal sculptures that are visible from I-94
  • Montana (Eastern)
    • Fort Peck Dam
    • Pompey's pillar (William Clark of Lewis and Clark signed the rock)
    • The Missouri Breaks
Old 08-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tosten
I'm picking my brand new Q5 from the Audi dealer in Montana in November. After a few days back home we'll be driving it back to San Diego. Looking forward to the road trip. We may try to arrange a detour to see the Grand Canyon or Zion on the way.

Having made numerous road trips from Montana back to see extended family in Minnesota (in the civic I still own) its worth mentioning a few sites on the path between. Note there are two ways there, I-90 and I-94. They meet in Billings, MT where I-94 ends and I-90 continues west to Seattle. West of Billings you'll be within a few hours of Mountains and Yellowstone Park.

If you take the southern route I-90 or nearby highways:
  • South Dakota
    • The Corn Palace in Mitchell South Dakota
    • Wall Drug
    • Black hills
    • Mt. Rushmore
    • Deadwood
    • Sturgis
    • Crazy Horse Monument
  • Wyoming
    • Not much in the northeast corner of the state
  • Montana
    • Little Big Horn Battlefield
If you take the northern route on I-94 (warning, not as much in South Dakota)
  • North Dakota
    • In the west, the badlands, and Teddy Roosevelt related stuff
    • Somewhere in the middle an artist has large metal sculptures that are visible from I-94
  • Montana (Eastern)
    • Fort Peck Dam
    • Pompey's pillar (William Clark of Lewis and Clark signed the rock)
    • The Missouri Breaks
Great. Thanks for excellent recommendations. I am planning to take different route on my way back, turning south towards Wyoming and then head east back home. Any comments on that?
Old 08-10-2011, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

I assume you mean you'd go from Minnesota to Montana via I-94 through North Dakota. I would recommend booking it across to North Dakota and checking out any sites in Montana or Northwest Wyoming, then taking your time heading east on I-90 or US 14 (scenic route) to check out Northeast Wyoming and Western South Dakota.

How much time are you planning on taking for this road trip? A couple weeks?

Once you pick your route out PM me, I might be able to recommend a few route specific sites or hotels. I don't usually follow the A5 forums, I just happened to be looking for Montana threads.

A note about speeding in Montana. Interstate speed limits are 75 mph (no speed limit went away while I was in college). Last I checked, since Montana instituted a speeding limit the fine for speeding during daylight hours is only $20 (might be $40 in some counties) paid in cash on the spot. That is up to a certain point, mabye 10 or 15 over, and last I've checked, its not reported to your insurance. Beyond that regular ticket rates and insurance reporting apply. At night they aren't as forgiving.