Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

RS5 2011 Front tyre uneven wear

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 01:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another update from me.
Have been regularly checking the tyre pressures and just replaced the rears after 24,000 miles. The NSR was worn down to nothing on the inside edge of the tread - as per the fronts! (see photo)
The front NS tyre which I replaced 10,000 miles ago is again wearing excessively on the inside edge. (see photo)
The rest of the tread on this tyre is in excellent condition as I would expect from a tyre after 10k.
Audi checked the alignment on all 4 wheels at 14,750 but reported it was near to normal.
I am still baffled why the inside of the treads should wear excessively to the point of bursting if not caught in time. To do this on the rear as well is really confusing.
Is there an underlying problem with tyre wear on the RS5?
The car drives like a dream and I cannot fault it other than this issue.
Attached Images   
Old 01-09-2013, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion, there is no excessive tire wear judging from your post. All car companies of today equips their halo cars with tires that are made with very soft compounds to improve their handling. Adding to that the power these cars are putting down, 10K miles per set is relatively fair. IIRC, one of the worst offenders is back when the Acura NSX was first introduced in 1990, their tires would only last 5K miles or so on average. However, you never mentioned if you had rotated the tires or not in your post, if not, you should consider doing that once every 5K miles and that may give you a little more thread life.

Needless to say, one also must keep in mind that tire wear depends largely on location (hot vs. cool weather), road condition (abrasiveness of type of road surface in your area) and driving style. If thread life and cost of replacement is a real concern with you, you may want to down grade from these ultra or maxium performance tires to HP all-seasons or tires with better thread wear (If you are not familiar with tires, look at the tire wear index, the lower the number, the softer and quicker they will wear out). If you do, do be aware that you will be giving up some performance for thread life.

Last edited by Tifosi; 01-09-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default RS5 uneven tyre wear

Originally Posted by RSfünf
Hi Audi Rocks, yes the dealer was very good in fact, they took away the car, replaced both front tyres, checked tracking ( which was out of tolerance but only by a fraction ) and then checked the tyre pressure indicating system which i assume tested ok. The tyres are being sent to Bridgestone for evaluation and i expect to hear the result in the comming week or so. I have attached a pic of the front left hand tyre after it deflated, the tread wear remaining was 4mm and even wear accross the tyre. The on close inspection with the trye removed the inner sidewall to tread area, approx 6 to 8 mm showed a chamfer which had effectivly eaten into the tyre causing the blowout. I am basiclly monitoring my tyres now on a weekly basis and constantly checking tyre pressures as the issue maybe related to tyre pressure. Saying that i never drove the car with lower than recommened tyre pressures but there is not much else it can be. Can you advise what is your current situation and do you have pics ?
Check out these puppies. Shocked to discover this. No idea of this until I took it in for a routine tyre change cos one tyre was losing pressure.
Attached Images   
Old 04-16-2013, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by frenchie_pm
Check out these puppies. Shocked to discover this. No idea of this until I took it in for a routine tyre change cos one tyre was losing pressure.
The mystery continues. No one can explain the huge difference in wear between the inside and outside of the tires! Why is it only S5 and RS5's that exhibit this issue?
Old 04-17-2013, 05:28 AM
DHS
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bayass
Why is it only S5 and RS5's that exhibit this issue?
Not my experience. I had a '99 A4 and put 150,000 miles on it. And it ate tires - mostly from uneven wear as portrayed above. Then I put 254,000 miles on an '01 S4. Ate tires too. Now I have an '09 S5 and it does the same.
I spoke to my Audi tech about it and he said that it is not just an Audi thing but an all wheel drive thing. He tells his customes to take the estimated tire life according to the manufacturer and cut it in half. Sounds about right to me. It is aggravating to see one side of the tire dead and the other with loads of tread life left. I just accept it as the price of admission.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DHS
Not my experience. I had a '99 A4 and put 150,000 miles on it. And it ate tires - mostly from uneven wear as portrayed above. Then I put 254,000 miles on an '01 S4. Ate tires too. Now I have an '09 S5 and it does the same.
I spoke to my Audi tech about it and he said that it is not just an Audi thing but an all wheel drive thing. He tells his customes to take the estimated tire life according to the manufacturer and cut it in half. Sounds about right to me. It is aggravating to see one side of the tire dead and the other with loads of tread life left. I just accept it as the price of admission.
That makes sence actually. My RS5 has only done 13000 miles from brand new and yet look at the state of those tyres. You would expect to get at least 25000 miles out of a set of tyres. I haven't even taken the car on a track or raced around too hard.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That makes sence actually. My RS5 has only done 13000 miles from brand new and yet look at the state of those tyres. You would expect to get at least 25000 miles out of a set of tyres. I haven't even taken the car on a track or raced around too hard.
Uneven tire wear like the photos above has NOT been my experience with my last 4 Audis... I guess it could have been less noticeable as I rotate my tires and switch between a winter & summer set each year. However, when the tires have been worn out, they have never looked like that!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

the inner tread on my 997 C4S wore significantly more than the outter tread and to a lesser extent on my B7 RS4. my assumption is to expect a wheel set up that promotes this uneven wear as part of the design of a "track ready" car. pehraps moreso with AWD?

I'm 3 weeks and 3k km's on my RS5 and will monitor and report back....
Old 04-25-2013, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by James P.
Uneven tire wear like the photos above has NOT been my experience with my last 4 Audis... I guess it could have been less noticeable as I rotate my tires and switch between a winter & summer set each year. However, when the tires have been worn out, they have never looked like that!
Same here on my 2012 S5 (sold at 25k) and now my 2013 RS5. 4500 miles on a set of Blizzak's and no visible wear. Summer Proxes going on this weekend.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't think it is a fault in the design. I had a c5 Corvette and it had the same issue, the inside of the tire wears out and the outside almost new. It is the wheels camber same principle like the F1 cars..
Originally Posted by ISS RS5
Hi folks.

I found this forum by goggling "Audi RS5 tyre wear."

I've got the same problem on my 2011 RS5. The left hand front tyre went down last night and I nearly cut my hand to ribbons when I felt the inside of the tyre. 10,000 miles....

It was only in Audi last week having the petrol cap replaced and the boot catch too.....

I'm confused because my old A5 3.0TDI Sport did exactly the same thing too, is it a fault on the 5 series?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: RS5 2011 Front tyre uneven wear