Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

RS5 Cabrio

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS5 Cabrio

So I'm kind of a newb to car buying, at least recently. I haven't bought one since 2007, and back then I just always bought cars that were available on the lot, nothing as rare-ish as an RS5. I want something a little (okay, a lot) more exciting than my super-sensible Camry Hybrid. I've been drooling over everyone's pics/vids of their cars and jealous of all the canyon carving stories. I want that kinda fun! haha

Anyway, I have some questions, and you guys seem like a friendly bunch, so here goes...
Since the RS5s are hard to come by now, can dealers easily get used ones from another dealer? Or is it better to just find one online, buy online and travel to pick it up, as I don't have a relationship with any dealer? I'm in Chicago and the only cabrio available within like 100 miles of here has a buyback/lemon title (ironically, it is the exact color and specs that I want, of course! ). I don't want a branded title, obv.

How similar is the driving experience between the coupe and cabrio? There are a several coupes that I could test drive nearby (haven't driven one yet, just decided I wanted one based on extensive internet research), although I could just go test drive that branded title one, I suppose.

Finally, last question for now. Anyone have a cabrio in a really cold climate? I've read lots of posts but haven't quite correlated who has what and where. I know it's probably ludicrous to have a convertible in Chicago, but when summer comes, I want ALLLL the sun, not just some sun through a sunroof. How does the top insulate against frigid cold temps?

Thank you all!
Old 01-07-2016, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's unlikely that you'll find a nice example of a used RS5 locally in Chicago - but you may get lucky. As for driving a cabrio in cold climate - I drove a BMW E36 3-series cloth top convertible in the northeast for 5 years and then moved to Chicago and drove it here for another 5 years with no issues. Of course you must take care when removing snow & ice from the top, and you will want to use a cabrio top conditioner every year or so, but other than that there really are no concerns. Since selling the E36 we have followed that with both a 3-series and now a 4-series convertible (both with hard tops), so you can see I am definitely a fan of topless driving when the weather allows.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TowerFlower
How similar is the driving experience between the coupe and cabrio?
IMO they are quite different. If it is a cabrio you are after, make sure you drive one before you buy (I own a coupe and was underwhelmed when driving the cab).
Old 01-17-2016, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are interested in an RS5 cab, I may be selling my 2014 at the end of convertible season here in South Florida - of course, that corresponds to the beginning of convertible season for your area. Color is Suzuka Gray. All options. Low mileage. Showroom condition. Send me a private message if you are interested.