Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

RS5 will cost $71000 in US

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
Question: is anyone uncomfortable buying a $71k car that shares the same platform, interior and similar exterior of a $39k version? Kinda like buying the most expensive house on the block.
Just depends on what you want/prefer....almost all cars have "base" models and higher-end models -- ie: BMW 528, 530, 550
Old 03-05-2010, 03:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A8Liter
Plus, that would put it within a whisker of a fully loaded S5. Considering what the RS6 cost in 2003- that $71k would be a MAJOR bargain. I've got to call BS on such a low price.
yep, i'm raising the bull **** flag here too (including the R8). every other audi has more options than just larger wheels. no reason to think this will be different. let's ban this user.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RS5 will come to the US eventually.. come on this is the greatest market in the world regardless of crisis or recesions, it may not happen right away but once the vehicle rolls into production, it will be sent to us as well. I am sure they will be available right away in Europe first, then us.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

If it does get here and cost about 80k, so would you rather get a GTR(480hp) or rather a CTSV coupe (my choice 556 hp) and 6sp!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Question: is anyone uncomfortable buying a $71k car that shares the same platform, interior and similar exterior of a $39k version? Kinda like buying the most expensive house on the block.
You are seriously asking that question on a board shared by "S" owners whose cars are well over $60k? What about all of the BMW "M" owners or MB AMG owners? What about all of the money people spend on aftermarket performance parts to modify their basic platform cars that, other than wheels and a lowered stance, still look the same despite all of the money spent on performance upgrades? Not one of your better posts.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by ET550
You are seriously asking that question on a board shared by "S" owners whose cars are well over $60k? What about all of the BMW "M" owners or MB AMG owners? What about all of the money people spend on aftermarket performance parts to modify their basic platform cars that, other than wheels and a lowered stance, still look the same despite all of the money spent on performance upgrades? Not one of your better posts.
It's a legitimate question. The average person on the street doesn't know the difference between a stripped A5 and a loaded/modded S5. The price difference is huge, yet they look similar.

Part of the appeal to any luxury/sports car is it's uniqueness. IMO, at $45k I think my A5 was a nice value. But at $63K there wasn't enough to differentiate it from the $45K vehicle I chose. No knock against the S5 but not enough for me to spend the difference.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's a legitimate question. The average person on the street doesn't know the difference between a stripped A5 and a loaded/modded S5. The price difference is huge, yet they look similar.

Part of the appeal to any luxury/sports car is it's uniqueness. IMO, at $45k I think my A5 was a nice value. But at $63K there wasn't enough to differentiate it from the $45K vehicle I chose. No knock against the S5 but not enough for me to spend the difference.
So in other words it is only worth it for you to spend money on a car if you can impress the average person? And if part of the appeal to any luxury/sports car is its uniqueness, why did you purchase an A5 which is not very unique or much of a sports car? In my opinion, an S5 cab for $63k is a much better value than a $45k A5, simply because I enjoy the performance and handling of the car, not because I am concerned about whether the average person knows the difference.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by ET550
So in other words it is only worth it for you to spend money on a car if you can impress the average person? And if part of the appeal to any luxury/sports car is its uniqueness, why did you purchase an A5 which is not very unique or much of a sports car? In my opinion, an S5 cab for $63k is a much better value than a $45k A5, simply because I enjoy the performance and handling of the car, not because I am concerned about whether the average person knows the difference.
I never said anything about impressing anyone else. Your words not mine. The Audi 5 series is very unique as not many are on the road in relative terms. It's just that there isn't much to differentiate the A5 vs the S5 that justifies a $20k difference. My opinion.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:05 AM
Banned

I never said anything about impressing anyone else. Your words not mine. The Audi 5 series is very unique as not many are on the road in relative terms. It's just that there isn't much to differentiate the A5 vs the S5 that justifies a $20k difference. My opinion.
I agree
Old 03-06-2010, 05:28 AM
Banned

in my case I bought my car because I fell in love with it the moment I saw it, I was so close to get a BMW 335ci.. I even placed and order since they didn't have one available but when I saw the A5... it won my heart. I am glad now I didn't get the BMW, there are tons of those out there, only a couple A5 where I live. I do however, agre in the sense that that the average individual out there don't have a clue when they see a plain A5 or and S5, they see a Coupe Audi period! ..and they love it, give thumbs up on the road, pose near the car for pics, we get compliments. I guess only the few people into cars would tell the difference and even so most of them could care less whether is an A5 or an S5 but dream of getting one themselves one day. Only the ones that are into cars and look at those torugh their parts and configurations and trims and decals and what not could actually tell a difference, in the end though and regardless of whether one is faster than the other to 60mph or having wider tires or speciality rims or whatever.. is just an Audi Coupe named 5 in the Audi scale and to most is all that matters. My car may have the 1.8 170hp engine that sells in europe and I could care less, this Audi 5 Coupe has a seductive sexappeal than no other has.. You could go to a black tie party wearing shorts and a t-shirt but driving an A5 and people could care less about your outfit, this vehicle is precious and gives category to any average or not person our there.

Quick Reply: RS5 will cost $71000 in US