Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

RS5 will cost $71000 in US

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IAS5
Angry?? if a guy in an A5 is getting loads of compliments and picking up women? wow, that's pretty lame if you need ANY car to pick up women.

The major difference in $$ of the two cars is in the performance, not just looks.

And despite that there is an element of truth that there is some vanity, and need for acceptance, in all of us, those were some pretty lame examples. We're talking about an inanimate object- a car- not a potential girlfriend, spouse, or boss.
Don't even waste your breath with this guy. Some people just aren't Gearheads, and will never understand the need for speed.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

This thread is certainly entertaining ...if nothing else.

Its funny how the price difference between an A5 and S5 gets larger and larger as this thread gets longer. Started out as $16K, then went to $20K, and now the difference is double the price.....awesome!

Before I bought my S5 I had my heart set on purchasing an A5. At the time the only A5 available was the 3.2L. When I configured the S5 with exactly the same options as the A5 the price difference between the two was $6900! Yes $6900, not $16K, not $20K, not double the price. If I'm going to spend $50K+ on an A5 then it was a no brainer for me to pay the extra $6900 and get the S5. I'm glad I made that decision and am very happy with my S5. The A5 is a great car too, and if your lucky enough to own one you should be happy with your purchase.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by sesame60
This thread is certainly entertaining ...if nothing else.

Its funny how the price difference between an A5 and S5 gets larger and larger as this thread gets longer. Started out as $16K, then went to $20K, and now the difference is double the price.....awesome!

Before I bought my S5 I had my heart set on purchasing an A5. At the time the only A5 available was the 3.2L. When I configured the S5 with exactly the same options as the A5 the price difference between the two was $6900! Yes $6900, not $16K, not $20K, not double the price. If I'm going to spend $50K+ on an A5 then it was a no brainer for me to pay the extra $6900 and get the S5. I'm glad I made that decision and am very happy with my S5. The A5 is a great car too, and if your lucky enough to own one you should be happy with your purchase.
You have skewed the pricing argument. Go to the Audi website and look at the high end of the S5 and low end of the A5 and you will see a $25K difference.

Considering most of the A5's sold are in the $41k range and most of the S5 sold are in the $60K range that quite a difference. Don't believe me look at any dealer's inventory and see what they have in stock

Last edited by Omeletpants; 03-09-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by FuelStar

you can deny it all you want, but you would be very angry if you saw a guy in an a5 - which costs HALF of your rs5 - getting loads of attention/compliments and picking up women when your car costs literally DOUBLE, but looks exactly the same. im sure you wouldnt like that very much and would immediately regret spending 80k+ for a car that can get just as much attention for 36k
What are you like 15 years old? I can build a kit car for $15k and get more attention from the average person if that was what I was concerned about. I would rather spend for the performance and handling and leave the unwanted attention behind. Trust me, I would rather have one intelligent conversation about my car with a knowledgeable car enthusiast than 20 stupid questions from a bunch of unknowledgeable people who think my car is worth more than it is.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
You have skewed the pricing argument. Go to the Audi website and look at the high end of the S5 and low end of the A5 and you will see a $25K difference.

Considering most of the A5's sold are in the $41k range and most of the S5 sold are in the $60K range that quite a difference. Don't believe me look at any dealer's inventory and see what they have in stock
You are the only one skewing the pricing argument. Who compares a base A5 with a loaded S5? I doubt most of the A5's sold are in the $41k range and challenge your methodology. Maybe those cars are still sitting in dealer's inventory because most people have been ordering or purchasing the more expensive versions. I remember when I was looking at an A5 and S5 for my wife a couple of years ago, an s-line A5 was $52K and the S5 was $59k. When I bought the S5 cab a few months ago, it listed for $63,850 and a nicely equipped A5 cab was over $55k. Enjoy your car and stop worrying about what everyone else is spending.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ET550
You are the only one skewing the pricing argument. Who compares a base A5 with a loaded S5? I doubt most of the A5's sold are in the $41k range and challenge your methodology. Maybe those cars are still sitting in dealer's inventory because most people have been ordering or purchasing the more expensive versions. I remember when I was looking at an A5 and S5 for my wife a couple of years ago, an s-line A5 was $52K and the S5 was $59k. When I bought the S5 cab a few months ago, it listed for $63,850 and a nicely equipped A5 cab was over $55k. Enjoy your car and stop worrying about what everyone else is spending.
No one introduced the concept of "worry" into this discussion but you, so stop creating false arguments.

The average A5 customer doesn't custom order so dealer inventory is a perfect indicator of what they think will sell. You think they stock cars they know won't sell?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Your original point was that there is very little difference between the A5 and S5 for a big difference in price. What I was pointing out is that if you equip the vehicles so that they are as similar as possible (very little difference except for performance), your statement about big price difference is no longer true.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It's gonna be sick....
Old 03-09-2010, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sesame60
Your original point was that there is very little difference between the A5 and S5 for a big difference in price. What I was pointing out is that if you equip the vehicles so that they are as similar as possible (very little difference except for performance), your statement about big price difference is no longer true.

Here is what I originally said: " Question: is anyone uncomfortable buying a $71k car that shares the same platform, interior and similar exterior of a $39k version? Kinda like buying the most expensive house on the block".

The reference was to the RS5, not the S5
Old 03-09-2010, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here is what I originally said: " Question: is anyone uncomfortable buying a $71k car that shares the same platform, interior and similar exterior of a $39k version? Kinda like buying the most expensive house on the block".

The reference was to the RS5, not the S5
That's true, your original reference was to the RS5. But you also did compare it to the S5 when you said:

"It's a legitimate question. The average person on the street doesn't know the difference between a stripped A5 and a loaded/modded S5. The price difference is huge, yet they look similar.

Part of the appeal to any luxury/sports car is it's uniqueness. IMO, at $45k I think my A5 was a nice value. But at $63K there wasn't enough to differentiate it from the $45K vehicle I chose. No knock against the S5 but not enough for me to spend the difference.
"

Quick Reply: RS5 will cost $71000 in US