Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

s5 or a5 2.0 turbo with stasis ecu upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(i can't figure out how to edit post).

also i am looking at stasis b.c audi says they honor warranty. are their other chips that audi will not detect at warranty repair? any other suggestions? thanks
Old 08-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by flyfishing
(i can't figure out how to edit post).

also i am looking at stasis b.c audi says they honor warranty. are their other chips that audi will not detect at warranty repair? any other suggestions? thanks
the only way audi will detect if you have it chipped is if they actually check for it or if they drive the car
i also hear apr has a nice chip for the a5 2.0t
Old 08-24-2009, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by acadia
But you are correct, if you want to race from say 100ft to 100ft the 2.0t might actually be quicker, but the A5 3.2 will walk it down, a chip alone will not beat out the A5 3.2,
Do we have any guinea pigs out there will to test this? Would be nice to see an APR chipped 2.0T go up against a 3.2. Or maybe just performance specs.

Just a thought........

J
Old 08-24-2009, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

how much less does the 2.0 turbo weigh vs 3.2L? does that make up for difference in HP?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

how much less does the 2.0 turbo weigh vs 3.2L? does that make up for difference in HP?
the 3.2l weighs about 3825 llbs don't know about the 2.0t
Old 08-24-2009, 09:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

does anybody know how faster the 2.0t with ecu upgrade will be in 0-60?
Old 08-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i called stasis and they said ecu option should be in about 60 days. they said it will be similar to a4 options and get you close to a5 3.2L in terms of HP and actually more torque. stasis says s5 will blow a5 2.0 in terms of top speed, but off the line and in curvy roads, the a5 2.0 will keep up with it.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

thanks for all the replies. i've been looking at these cars more closely.

i've decided that i don't think the s5 and it's price premium is worth it to me. i am lazy and don't want to go to gas station all the time; my friend with 07 s4 w/same engine says that he fills up ALL the time. plus where i live, i won't get to take advantage of big v8 engine's performance that much.

so i've decided on a5 but 2.0 or 3.2??

does anyone have a 2.0 with stasis ECU upgrade yet? i need to call them tomorrow to find info, but from what their website says, it looks like i can bring the 2.0 engine up to 250 HP easily with ECU and exhaust. it looks like the ECU will bring torque over that of the 3.2L also. plus i have room for future performance gains if i wish.

so i imagine 2.0 with stasis upgrade will beat 3.2L? does this sound correct?

also, the s-line trim offers same suspension as S5 rt? a lighter car with tight suspension and higher torque looks like what i am looking for.
Depends on what you mean by beat. 0-30, A5 2.0 likely, 0-60, the A5 should start pulling away after, overall the 3.2 will be faster, the A5 may be quicker. Torque is important for quickness, so, I suspect A5 2.0 will be quicker but not faster, if that makes sense, because all that torque may not be usable where as the 3.2 peak HP probably occurs in more usable part of RPM curve, so 3.2 will likely be faster.

In any event, 2.0 will be fun to work on, and cheaper to tune than 3.2, if you want the engine that you can get the most out of , it's obviously the 3.2 but that's mroe expensive to work on.

As far as suspension I don't think s-line changes suspension.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default if I may.....

im trying to decide if i should get a s5 or a5 2.0 with ecu upgrade.

according to prices on ebay motors, i can buy a very slightly used s5 for ~50k with full warranty. or i can buy a lower equipped s5 new from dealer for prob 56k.

i test drove a '10 a5 2.0 today and dealer said they will have stasis ECU upgrade in dec. they tell me the a5 2.0 is about 300 lbs lighter than s5 and should get close to the performance of s5 with ECU upgrade and likely cost me 10k less. i would order a5 with s-line upgrades and almost all upgrades.

so if anyone can offer me advice that would be great! this will be my first audi to own.

a couple of thoughts i have:

1. if the performance b/w chipped a5 and s5 is .5 seconds or so 0-60 then its worth it to me to go with a5.
2. if price difference b/w fully loaded a5/chipped a5 is within 4-5k s5 then possibly it's not worth it to go with a5.
3. the dealer says ecu upgrade for a5 2.0 would bring it to 260 hp and 300 torque which i don't believe according to stasis website for a4.

comments please!
You shouldn't get too crazy thinking what do pick. Any A5 will make you feel exclusive and proud among other vehicles regardless of their performance. It seems to me that you have goal set in mind, running wild at traffic lights and showing off. My suggestion to you is simple, drive the 2.0T, the 3.2 and the S5 and pick the one that stock-wise gives you the best feeling. Do not drive them thinking how they could be improve performance wise, otherwise you won't be buying an A5 anymore but a tuning-project instead and in that case you will be better off getting a Mazdaspeed3 or an Mazda Impreza WRX. A5/S5 are built to fall in love with and drive comfy and wild in style. The reason there are chips available for most turbo engines is because those can be altered with little work but when you do chip a car, first of all you kill your powertrain warranty ( if under warranty ), then your MPG's decrease and you alter the vehicle's overall qualities. Chips for the 2.0T where developed for GTI Golf and other small utilitarian type of vehicles bought by youngsters and chipping is just part of the business, then you need suspensions and reinforced chassis to maintain vehicle's integrity, in the end you spend and spend on gadgets until you reach a limit and by then, you may be thinking is time to purchase another car. Whether is an A5 with the 2.0T or the 3.2 or an S5, these are built to specs and hold tremendous performance. It all boils down to $$$$$.. so if you don't have what it takes to get an S5, then get a A5 3.2 that in my opinion after a test drive of both.. 3.2 is close to S5 performance and yet does close to 30mpg. If you still can't reach the 3.2.. then get a 2.0T with 6speed manual and yet manage to get close to the 3.2 performance. Otherwise jump ship and get to bmw or infinity dealer and make your own math there, trying to get a small engine into a bigger one is costly and when will it be enough? what will you do when you math the 3.2 or S5 performance? ( if you did match it ).. what will you be doing then? You will most likely get challenged by an M3? and then what?? and then a ferrari will kill you at the light and what you gonna do??? My advise to you: drive them all and whichever you feel is the one, pick it. I own the first 2008 A5 3.2 in upstate NY and in the past I have tuned many of my smaller imported vehicles and tuning the A5 would be the last thing I would do, it does 60 in 5.8sec and 1/4 mile at 101mph.. to me those are impressive.. it actually feel faster and stronger than the actual readings. This car pulls so strong even past the 100mph mark where most turbocharged vehicles start dying at... the only thing I would do is to get the S5 or RS4 rims. If we were in Europe, I would most likely pay the extra 10K and get an S5 fully equipped but for this part of the world with a highway 65mph limit and so many 'john Q laws' awaiting you in every corner and spot to break the fun out of your day.. what I got is plenty. If you can't afford performance at invoice prices.. work a little harder and aim to get what you truly want, just don't waste your time making up for things by altering specs.. with an A5.. and I mean any engine type A5.. you will be slowing the traffic down so that they take a closer look at your car and wish they had one.. so there you go.. there is your answer.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i ended up getting a new 09 s5 b/c it was a steal of a deal! 49k w/free audicare +TTL!

a5 2.0 w/s-line package was about 47k so it was a no brainer!

Quick Reply: s5 or a5 2.0 turbo with stasis ecu upgrade