Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

S5: Brilliant Black or Phantom

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5: Brilliant Black or Phantom

Hey,

I have decided to buy a 2010 S5 in the next week or so. My dilemma is, go with Brilliant Black or Phantom Black. I currently have a Brilliant Black A4. I like the color, though it can be a pain to keep clean. I have seen phantom black on another Audi, but not on S5 yet. My impression of the color was: its metallic so there is a minor sparkle, in certain lights it looks dark grey.

So, what do you guys think. Brilliant Black or Phantom?

Feel free to include a pic of your BB or PB car for comparison.

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2010, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zorro71
I currently have a Brilliant Black A4. I like the color, though it can be a pain to keep clean. I have seen phantom black on another Audi, but not on S5 yet. My impression of the color was: its metallic so there is a minor sparkle, in certain lights it looks dark grey.
You've summed up the total difference between the two. Side by side the PB will look a little less black than the BB, but by itself you wouldn't notice. It has the metallic flake which some like, but maintenance on Phantom would be identical to that of Brilliant.

The A5 didn't come in Phantom, but I would have chosen Brilliant anyway, since I like the deep reflective gloss of Brilliant Black.

Oh, and Brilliant Black is a standard color, so it's a bit cheaper.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a phantom black S5. PM me and I can send you pix. Not sure if you'll be able to see a difference without the two car side by side.

I like my phantom black, hard to keep clean though (same on brilliant black).
Old 04-26-2010, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

you may want to consider that it will be easier to repaint brilliant black then it will to repaint phantom black if you ever need to.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Went through the same dilemna when I bought mine. Dealer had a Phantom Black with the options I wanted. After seeing the Brilliant Black at a different dealer and how much deeper (or more black if that makes any sense) I decided to go with the BB instead. Love it so far, but as mentioned, it is a nightmare to keep clean. Knew that going in though, so I don't mind.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jab23
Went through the same dilemna when I bought mine. Dealer had a Phantom Black with the options I wanted. After seeing the Brilliant Black at a different dealer and how much deeper (or more black if that makes any sense) I decided to go with the BB instead. Love it so far, but as mentioned, it is a nightmare to keep clean. Knew that going in though, so I don't mind.
brilliant and phantom black are both going to be a pain to keep clean.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you like to be different - PB, but if you like to be practical, BB ...
Old 04-27-2010, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Definitely Phantom black. It doesn't bore the eyes as much looking at a black car every single day
Old 04-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

you're not going to wait for the 2011 S5? I m still not sure to get the 2010 next month or wait for the 2011 come out.

is it pain for clean the red sit? i m think to get the black sit. it may easy to take care.

BTW. i will go for the BB...BLACK BLACK. that is why you pick BLACK. otherwise, just get the white one. ^^
Old 04-28-2010, 09:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zorro71
Hey,

I have decided to buy a 2010 S5 in the next week or so. My dilemma is, go with Brilliant Black or Phantom Black. I currently have a Brilliant Black A4. I like the color, though it can be a pain to keep clean. I have seen phantom black on another Audi, but not on S5 yet. My impression of the color was: its metallic so there is a minor sparkle, in certain lights it looks dark grey.

So, what do you guys think. Brilliant Black or Phantom?

Feel free to include a pic of your BB or PB car for comparison.

Thanks!
My last 2 vehicles were black, my current vehicle is Brilliant Black, however I ordered a Phantom Black for my S5 this time. I like black or almost black colors but would like to move on a bit without going too far, my neighbor just bought an Audi S8 in Phantom Black and during daylight looks awesome Grey, yet at night turns into black hence the Phantom effect! Both are a part time job but Phantom has the best of both worlds in my opinion. Yes, it will be a pain in the butt trying to match a pearl paint if I ever have to replace a body part but I am willing to take that risk.

Quick Reply: S5: Brilliant Black or Phantom