Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

S5 Cab pop noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5 Cab pop noise

It arrived! Got my ice silver s5 cab on Thursday! It is awesome! Been driving around all weekend and just loving it. Still in break in period so i havent really pushed it hard yet but i can tell it has much more power than anything i drove previously. Will take pics and upload soon. One question for those more experienced with such an awesome car, when I am accelerating from a stop, I hear a pop when the car switches gears, usually just between the lower gears. Is this normal? Anything I should be concerned about? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tta4cab
It arrived! Got my ice silver s5 cab on Thursday! It is awesome! Been driving around all weekend and just loving it. Still in break in period so i havent really pushed it hard yet but i can tell it has much more power than anything i drove previously. Will take pics and upload soon. One question for those more experienced with such an awesome car, when I am accelerating from a stop, I hear a pop when the car switches gears, usually just between the lower gears. Is this normal? Anything I should be concerned about? Thanks in advance for your help.
Should have mentioned that this popping noise sounds like it is coming from the exhaust . Not a loud backfire but more like a muffled pop...
Old 05-09-2010, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

That noise is not only normal but is one of the great sounds of this car. It is even better when under acceleration as you go through the gears. Sit back; enjoy it and your new car.

I am enjoying mine even more than I ever did my 2004 S4 Cab. Raise and lowering the top on the go, voice command (yes, you can. All you need is a Vag Com and follow the links in various threads), and the DSG transmission are some of its best features.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My cab does the same. It's the dual clutch switching gears. Sounds like music to my ears! Totally normal.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Cool! Thanks for the quick replies!
Old 05-10-2010, 03:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S5-Cab-10
My cab does the same. It's the dual clutch switching gears. Sounds like music to my ears! Totally normal.
It's heavenly

And the down-shift "fart" is also awesome!
Old 05-10-2010, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i was entertaining the idea of an S5 Cab but hated that noise. I wish the A5 had a normal 6 but I prefer not to hear that sound. I'm in my upper 40s. I am less tolerant of stuff like that.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by shmee150
It's heavenly

And the down-shift "fart" is also awesome!
+1. It's a wonderful sound. Just wait until you break it in and really step on it. That sound is beyond heavenly. I think it is one of the best traits of the car.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default The "Fart"

I agree with Jim G. Being 55+ I am probably less tolerant than he is. If i had noticed that ridiculous noise during my winter test drive, I'd be back in a 650i where the exhaust is rich and throaty, not irritating. Thanks for the Bose though - at least I can drown out the fart if I crank up the volume!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

Just to let you know, not all of us "old farts" dislike it. I'm 64+ and like I said earlier it one of the best things about the car. As with all things, "To each his own." That said, there are some people who should just not be driving Audi. Staid, made for the masses, common as old pennies lying on the ground BMWs are just what those people need. Be it 3-series or 6-series.

Quick Reply: S5 Cab pop noise