Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

S5 On Its Way

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5 On Its Way

Got back a few days ago from a trip to Germany to pick up my S5 at the factory in Ingolstadt. Would highly recommend it!

Amazingly, only about two Americans per day do so. The entire process was handled very well, and I got a thorough introduction to the car from a delightful woman who spoke flawless English and seemed to really enjoy explaining all of the car's features to its new owner.

I took the car on a run through Bamberg and Heidelberg in Germany (beautiful little towns) and then through the champagne region of France and on toward Paris (left it at the drop-off point at the Paris airport for shipping to the US). Got stopped in Reims, France, by two motorcycle gendarmes who didn't like the fact that my car had only a rear license plate (the car is being shipped to PA, where only a rear plate is required). They also said that the export plate provided by Audi wasn't legal in France -- but I think they were just having some fun with an American driving a car they wanted to check out. They had no interest in seeing my registration papers, which I offered to them, and never asked to see my license. But they sure had a lot of questions about the car and spent some time looking it over. Spent about a half hour with them, most of it talking about the car and having a few laughs. I guess I broke up the boredom of their afternoon that day.

The factory tour was interesting -- about two hours in length, followed by a terrific lunch in their buffet restaurant. Not really fair to call it a buffet -- much of the food was cooked to order and all was excellent.

Anyone thinking about the European Delivery program should just do it -- you won't regret it!

Will post pics later.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Cool man! I am picking up my S4 there in just over two weeks. Can't wait

Once you've got pics, how about a little report in the European Delivery forum? It could use traffic

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-euro-delivery-program-discussion-124/

Any other tips and such are also welcome of course
Old 12-05-2009, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default S5 at Ingolstadt Factory

Here's one pic -- I'll post others after I've converted them (all pics were shot in a very large file format, and I have to compress them to fit the specs here).

I'll also post a report on the European Delivery forum in the next day or two. Lots to tell and it's all good.
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2009, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Picked mine up just a few days before Audi-X2. I'll be posting a detailed review of the European Delivery experience. Until then, here are my pictures of the car from the trip:

http://picasaweb.google.com/sholmes1...S5DaytonaGray#
Old 12-06-2009, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Another photo, in front of the delivery area at Audi's Ingolstadt factory.

Originally Posted by Audi-X2
Here's one pic -- I'll post others after I've converted them (all pics were shot in a very large file format, and I have to compress them to fit the specs here).

I'll also post a report on the European Delivery forum in the next day or two. Lots to tell and it's all good.
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2009, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default One More Pic

This one was taken in a beautiful spot in France -- the tiny village of Fere-en-Tardenois, where there is a great hotel in an old manor house adjacent to the ruins of a 13th century castle. Terrific setting for a photo, which unfortunately was taken before I could find a car wash to remove the road grime that accumulated during several days of driving through Germany and France. But still, a great shot nonetheless.
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2009, 06:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

beautiful car---cant wait to read the report. i'm doing euro delivery on my S5 as well, but it won't be ready till February. Quick question: is your car phantom or brilliant black? congrats again on the purchase!
Old 12-06-2009, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

nice pics!

btw Shado1019 I guess you need to update your signature Very very nice photos from you as well! (and a nice car too hehe)
Old 12-06-2009, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks! I'll post a few more pics once I get them into a reduced size format.

Mine is in Brilliant Black. Audi makes the best black color on the planet and all of my Audis have been in that color. I need to update my screen name, though -- when I created this account I had owned two Audis. I have now had 3 Audis in the past (two A8s and an A6 4.2) and the fourth, the beautiful S5, is on its way -- so I guess that makes me Audi-X4.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

nvofevery1 -- It's the Brilliant Black. As I noted elsewhere in this string, it's a great color...so much so that all 4 of my Audis have been in it.

Congrats on your great choice as well. I'm a bit envious that you're getting the 6 speed and the Alcantara. I almost went that route. My test drive was in a 6 speed, and I really liked it. Unfortunately, I have to commute through DC and MD traffic frequently, so I went for the safe choice and got the auto. But, it has the shift paddles, so I can still have some fun with it.

You're going to like the European Delivery experience. It's terrific. I'll put together a report and post it on the ED forum soon.