Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

S5 owners who have driven the CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5 owners who have driven the CTS-V

Finally getting caught up on news, I've been traveling a lot the last 6 months. Anyway my plan was to purchase an S5 when I return to the states in Sept. Now I see a possible release of an RS5 and CTS-V Coupe on the horizon. I've been reading that the CTS-V Coupe is not just the sedan minus 2 doors but a redesign in some area with the same 6.2 engine. The S5 and RS5 to me win in the looks for both interior and exterior but performance wise is that engine in the CTS-V worth holding out for. Would appreciate any thoughts from those who have an S5 that have also test driven a CTS-V sedan. I am assuming the Audi would cost more, which might make the CTS-V more appealing. I never owned a Catty but so far interiors in every American car I’ve owned has been a real sore spot for me and I'm not sure of the quality I could expect out of the CTS-V. Let me know what you think.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had the opportunity to spend some time while workig as a supplier on the CTS. While a marked improvement over previous Caddies, the CTS interior is still disappointing. And the ergonomics...well, lets put it this way. The cabin temperature controls were located by the drivers knee in the upscale models
Old 03-14-2010, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i had an S5 for 2 years, and test driven a CTS-V sedan a few times. For power, i do not believe the RS5 will match the performance- the Caddy is damn quick. Think of a 4-door c6 Z06. It's that quick (well, a couple ticks lower...). The CTS-V moves quite well on the curves.

One advantage the Caddy has is the 4 doors- convenience for the back passengers (if that is a factor for you). As for the coupe, if it has the same space than the sedan, it does fare much better than the Audi.

Aside from the objective numbers of a car, the subjective qualities are just that. Although Cadillac is making great strides in their cars, you alone can only determine if the car lloks good to you- interior and exterior.

If your concerned about perception, many have chimed in (on all make forums) that the CTS-V is still battling the "old man's fast car" stereotype. The Audi is probably perceived negatively in some circles as well ( i'll plead the 5th...); but if perception is not a concern for you, both cars would be great selections.

As for the RS5 coming to the states, it is still highly speculative. The CTS-V coupe is coming.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Q
AudiWorld Member

It's still a POS 'merican made car...nuff said
Old 03-14-2010, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChEB
Finally getting caught up on news, I've been traveling a lot the last 6 months. Anyway my plan was to purchase an S5 when I return to the states in Sept. Now I see a possible release of an RS5 and CTS-V Coupe on the horizon. I've been reading that the CTS-V Coupe is not just the sedan minus 2 doors but a redesign in some area with the same 6.2 engine. The S5 and RS5 to me win in the looks for both interior and exterior but performance wise is that engine in the CTS-V worth holding out for. Would appreciate any thoughts from those who have an S5 that have also test driven a CTS-V sedan. I am assuming the Audi would cost more, which might make the CTS-V more appealing. I never owned a Catty but so far interiors in every American car I’ve owned has been a real sore spot for me and I'm not sure of the quality I could expect out of the CTS-V. Let me know what you think.
Maybe you could help us out a little bit by telling us what is important to you?

If you want performance, the CTS-V wins hands down. The sedan will outperform any Audi...even the R8.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by atombomb33
Maybe you could help us out a little bit by telling us what is important to you?

If you want performance, the CTS-V wins hands down. The sedan will outperform any Audi...even the R8.
performance is nice but all I realty want for performance is something than gets off the line well under 5 seconds. Craftsmanship is my biggest concern and the typical GM quality I may lose interest. Anyway I've never owned a Catty don't know how the newer ones hold up or if the quality of the interior is any good. I'm certain the S5 interior will be unmatched but as long as it is marginally close I may consider it.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I traded a 2007 GMC sierra slt for my s5. I never had one problem out of my truck and the interior was I think above my s5. I never had one rattle in my truck and my s5 is full of different rattles everyday some go away and I and taking the s5 in tomorrow for a nasty door panel rattle. I have always drove GM products except for one ford and that was my first and last ford. I like my s5 for the styling aspect but to say Audi is on top on there game for build craftsmanship is saying a lot. If I don't go back to a truck or suv I will take a look at the cts-v coupe.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ChEB
performance is nice but all I realty want for performance is something than gets off the line well under 5 seconds.
Well under 5 seconds dictates only a select few sedans or sporty coupes which won't include the S5 unfortunately. Besides the CTS-V, you can choose from M5, M3-maybe, C63, E63, CL63/65, Nissan GTR and the IS-F which will all get you in the low 4's. Oh, and one my current rides- a Jeep SRT8!

I know that Caddy put a lot of effort into improving their interiors for the latest version of the CTS-V's, so you really need to take a look at one in person- or at least on their website.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i bet the op was looking for more intelligent feedback- this adds absolutely no value.

"nuff said..."
Old 03-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

In terms of performance, the CTS-V is going to be better than the S5, and perhaps even the RS5. But it doesn't look very attractive imo so I'd rather get the S5 if I had a choice.

Quick Reply: S5 owners who have driven the CTS-V