Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

S5 stinky air conditioning at startup

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I understand you're upset, but I think your ire is better directed at the dealer guy, not Audi.

Yes, there shouldn't have been any stinkiness to your AC in a brand new car. But the answer shouldn't have been "They all do that" because they just don't.

aerodave's second post below has what I think is the most likely scenario. Something kept your evaporator from draining properly - either drains were misaligned at assembly, or organic matter (leaves, bugs) while the car was at port, etc - causing moisture to be retained in the system. The car is shipped by sea to the US for 2 - 4 weeks, depending on port of entry. You know that mildew builds up in your shower in just a few days. Same thing can happen in the evaporator while the car is being shipped. You turn on the AC at delivery --> stinky smell.

I've been in that position before, where the nav on my new B5 S4 wouldn't work with the CD I was given, and it took eight months and two service advisors to figure out that the problem was with the first service advisor! He was too lazy to figure out that I needed a different set of CDs. But it is aggravating, and back then, I had to drive 2 hours each way to the nearest dealer.

Be firm with the service guys, but not unpleasant. We all expect these expensive cars to run right, but sometimes these things do happen. But if you rant and rave at the technical staff, it may delay the resolution of your problem. Just my $0.02.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For now, ire remains online only...

FYI, my irritation comes not only from this issue. The car is in the shop for two other issues as well - the rough idle (which appears from what I've read so far to be fixable via computer) and another even more distressing issue, which is this whirring/oscillating noise that you hear in the cabin while trying to drive peacefully down the highway.

So far, I don't have any word back from the service people, so I can't fault them in any way, yet. But even if they can't figure out what is up, Im not planning on getting pissy with them. That has never proven to be productive. I'll be calm and firm, and insistent that they do their best to try to figure things out.

So for now, as much as I'd love to fall madly in love with Audi, I'm very far from it. More like the polar opposite feeling is slowly brewing. It's a fine line, as you know. I just expected a better experience from day 1 with this car, and so far, it's on its way to being an ongoing nightmare.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default FWIW, there are Audi and VW TSBs which address AC funk

The dealer has special tools which use various cominations of electrostatics, ultrasonics, and chemicals to treat these. The fact that there are dealer tools to fix this shows that it's somethign they're aware of and readily equipped to handle.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

hows your power steering fluid level?
Old 06-11-2008, 08:09 PM

Default Sorry to hear that man, after all that waiting...

...part of me has a big fear that something similar, or worse, will happen to me when it gets here in August.

I still remember your message wondering about the "checklist" and how you could barely contain yourself before picking it up.

We wait so long, we get so excited, anticipating...then boom...gut-busting disappointment for some reason or another. Hope it gets better--fast.