Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Shudder at tight turns **urgent**

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JGA5Cab
My 2010 had a shudder in the wheel while turning at slow speeds and they replaced a steering fluid hose. It took the problem away for the most part. My 2012 does it when my car is on a slippery concrete floor. It acts real funny then. It's as if the power assist is confused. I don't worry about that. When the idle of the car is low, I think the assist isn't strong enough and makes the steering feel a bit jittery. On the previous car, just simple parking lot turns gave me that shudder which I knew was wrong.
Yes I know the steering is jittery in this cars... But its not a steering thing I actually cant feel a thing on te steering wheel... Its more like a quattro drivetrain thing groan like if it doesnt like tight turns...
Old 06-29-2012, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by James Cole
Yes I know the steering is jittery in this cars... But its not a steering thing I actually cant feel a thing on te steering wheel... Its more like a quattro drivetrain thing groan like if it doesnt like tight turns...
I think I should have read the entire thread. That doesn't sound right.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's obvious no one in this thread knows what Quattro shudder is. All Audi's with Quattro will have a groaning shudder when making tight turns or u-turns. It comes from the all four wheels turning at different speeds, which makes the drivetrain shudder due to the mechanical gears of the Torsen having to operate at a higher rate, since they is no slippage allowed from the indifference in wheel speeds, unlike clutch type 4 wheel drive systems. The TT and A3 use a Haldex clutch for the all wheel drive system, so they won't have this shudder.

Last edited by ezveedub; 06-29-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ezveedub
It's obvious no one in this thread knows what Quattro shudder is. All Audi's with Quattro will have a groaning shudder when making tight turns or u-turns. It comes from the all four wheels turning at different speeds, which makes the drivetrain shudder due to the mechanical gears of the Torsen having to operate at a higher rate, since they is no slippage allowed from the indifference in wheel speeds, unlike clutch type 4 wheel drive systems. The TT and A3 use a Haldex clutch for the all wheel drive system, so they won't have this shudder.
But then how do you explain that another 2011 a4 that I used to have with the same exact drivetrain didnt have this issue? The only difference is that the a4 (silent at u turn) had dunlops and the a5 (noisy at u turn) has bridgstone potenzas
Old 06-29-2012, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by James Cole
But then how do you explain that another 2011 a4 that I used to have with the same exact drivetrain didnt have this issue? The only difference is that the a4 (silent at u turn) had dunlops and the a5 (noisy at u turn) has bridgstone potenzas
Depends on the exact tire, wheel size used and offset. I've had three B8 A4s, two sedans and one Avant and they all produce Quattro shudder. The shudder gets more noticeable with more miles. The stiffer tires will always produce more than a softer tire or higher profile tire. S5s always have Quattro shudder do to their bigger wheels and stiffer suspension it seems. Keep in mind, if the shudder gets really bad, it may need to be checked out by the dealer. They can at least determine if it's normal or possibly needs a Torsen to calm it down.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ezveedub