Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Side Assist Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Side Assist Issue

In my 09 A5, every once in a while, my Side Assist will shut off, with notification in the instrument cluster via a message saying "Audi Side Assist is temporarily unavailable". Anyone seen this and have a solution?
Considering taking it in, since I know its throwing a code via Vagcom, but thought someone might have a quick(er) fix...
Old 05-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure, but read in a recent automag that it relies upon K-band radar. Perhaps that has something to do with it?
Old 05-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I received a "Side Assist Malfunction" error a few months ago that required a couple trips to the dealer to have a module replaced. Your error doesn't seem as serious. If I recall correctly, I cleared the malfunction with the VAG-COM and it worked for a day until I received the error again indicating something was most definitely wrong.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kylew3
I received a "Side Assist Malfunction" error a few months ago that required a couple trips to the dealer to have a module replaced. Your error doesn't seem as serious. If I recall correctly, I cleared the malfunction with the VAG-COM and it worked for a day until I received the error again indicating something was most definitely wrong.
Same issue with mine. I cleared with VCDS and it came back. I'll take it in.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default had a similar issue, very quick easy fix

the sensors are located (hidden) on the back bumper. just clean of the back bumper with a wet cloth, restart the car, and see if that helps. It did the trick for mine....
Old 05-12-2009, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Andrewaw
the sensors are located (hidden) on the back bumper. just clean of the back bumper with a wet cloth, restart the car, and see if that helps. It did the trick for mine....
The sensors are actually in the two corners of the bumpers (accessible from inside the trunk, side compartments). It's not an issue with dirt/blockage, as my vehicle is always clean. It is an intermittent electrical issue (probably a loose connection), and that has been confirmed with Vag Com.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

alrighty then, best of luck. Thank goodness mine was an easier fix!
Old 05-12-2009, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by HoustonA5
In my 09 A5, every once in a while, my Side Assist will shut off, with notification in the instrument cluster via a message saying "Audi Side Assist is temporarily unavailable". Anyone seen this and have a solution?
Considering taking it in, since I know its throwing a code via Vagcom, but thought someone might have a quick(er) fix...
Same thing happened to mine and it eventually shut off entirely. I took it to dealer and it required replacement of the "module"---since then it has been fine----at least 5000 miles without a problem. Apparently there was a batch of bad modules.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by vasman
Same thing happened to mine and it eventually shut off entirely. I took it to dealer and it required replacement of the "module"---since then it has been fine----at least 5000 miles without a problem. Apparently there was a batch of bad modules.
Thanks vasman, I suspect that is the problem. It's scheduled to go in Monday the 18th. I'll report on the findings when it returns.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Dealer just called. They are replacing the module and have to order it. It will be here overnight, so the car will be ready tomorrow. I'll give details tomorrow on the repair.

Quick Reply: Side Assist Issue