Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

So pissed. Shifter not moving. Is my transmission shot?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 07:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So pissed. Shifter not moving. Is my transmission shot?

Driving to the train this morning and all of a sudden I couldn't put the car in gear. I was rolling about 30 MPH in a residential area (thank god)had the clutch to the floor and I couldn't move the shifter out of neutral into any gear. Came to a stop, turned the car off cursed for about 5 minutes. While the car was off, and the clutch to the floor I could move shifter into any gear. Once I started the car, again it wouldn't move into gear. WTF!!?

Get this. While the car was off, I put the car in first. With the clutch to the floor and my foot on the brake I started the car. It started moving forward while the clutch was still to the floor??? OMG what is going on with my car? I am so beside myself right now because I've treated this car with the greatest of care.

Audi Care is flatbedding the car at 1:30pm today taking it to my dealer, so I'm taking off work early. I don't know a lot about cars mechanically, and I'm very concerned.

Any thoughts or insight to what is wrong with my clutch / transmission? It would be grealty appreciated.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Could be a few things. Take heart in that transmission problems appear to be rare

so you should get the full attention of AoA.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I suspect it's just a bad seal in the master/slave cylinder for the clutch.

That's really not a big deal and it doesn't go to the heart of the transmission or the clutch itself. It's just what activates the clutch. I had that problem with a car a few years ago, and your symptoms sound exactly like it. In that case it was just a couple-hundred dollar fix. In yours, it will obviously be free. The main point is, if that's all you're dealing with, it's not a big problem. It's not indicative of a life of trouble to come or anything.