Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

solution for putting my puppy in the S5

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 12:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default solution for putting my puppy in the S5

http://www.shedprotector.com/

Just ordered one. It is going to look hilarious no doubt, but I won't have dog hair in my car!

What are you guys using? My dog is small, a ~13.5 lb Puggle, and sits on my lap when she rides with me in the car. Problem is she leaves hair everywhere.

Here she is:
Old 05-09-2011, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NateS5
...and sits on my lap when she rides with me in the car.
You're not really serious...are you?

You have your dog IN your lap? Between you & the steering wheel/air bag?

Can you say DEAD DOG...and probably you as well...if you ever are in an accident?

Not too smart.

Last edited by a5sport; 05-09-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm serious. It isn't a big deal, she's very small. Every once in a while, eg if I need to turn the wheel quickly, I'll end up punching the puppy in the head. I'm not going to crash my car just because I have a puppy in my lap. She has become good at avoiding that though, as well as bracing herself for turns. I imagine it's like "surfing" on a metro bus (standing on the bus without holding a strap).

If the airbag did go off, it wouldn't kill her. The airbag goes off in my face, and it isn't going to kill me, even if I'm leaning forward.

I'm not going to buckle up my dog, which would be the only safe thing for her. They do make doggy seats, but it's pretty ridiculous and she wouldn't like being strapped in. If not buckled and not on my lap, she wouldn't be any safer in an accident really.

I find not getting into accidents really helps.

I'll post pics of her in the doggy suit when it comes.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

One more time...are you serious? If you are your stupidity is staggering.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tgdA4
One more time...are you serious? If you are your stupidity is staggering.
Maybe you need to work on your reading comprehension. The puppy on my lap as I drive doesn't affect my driving and isn't any more dangerous for the dog than putting her on the passenger seat.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Maybe you need to work on your reading comprehension. The puppy on my lap as I drive doesn't affect my driving and isn't any more dangerous for the dog than putting her on the passenger seat.
Would you put a baby on your lap while you drive too?

Obviously your dog would be killed in an accident in your lap (crushed between you and airbag/steering wheel). And there is a good chance you would be injured as well (dog's bones stabbing you). Have fun though.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tgdA4
Would you put a baby on your lap while you drive too?

Obviously your dog would be killed in an accident in your lap (crushed between you and airbag/steering wheel). And there is a good chance you would be injured as well (dog's bones stabbing you). Have fun though.
A baby is much more fragile than a dog, and its life is arguably more valuable. The only really safe option for the dog is to use a dog car seat (like a baby car seat), which I'm not going to do. Also, a baby probably has to ride in the car often (can't be left at home alone), while my puppy does not.

The airbag is designed to hit the driver in the face. Even though the dog would be a bit closer, if it hit the dog first, I seriously doubt it would kill her. It certainly isn't going to shatter her and send jagged, broken puppy bones through my chest. She doesn't ride with her face leaning on the airbag. She is so small she can't see out the windows sitting on my lap, so usually curls up in a dog ball for a nap.

I expect there are others around here that have given their pooch a ride in the S5. What precautions do you take to protect the car?
Old 05-09-2011, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

A baby is much more fragile than a dog, and its life is arguably more valuable. The only really safe option for the dog is to use a dog car seat (like a baby car seat), which I'm not going to do. Also, a baby probably has to ride in the car often (can't be left at home alone), while my puppy does not.

The airbag is designed to hit the driver in the face. Even though the dog would be a bit closer, if it hit the dog first, I seriously doubt it would kill her. It certainly isn't going to shatter her and send jagged, broken puppy bones through my chest. She doesn't ride with her face leaning on the airbag. She is so small she can't see out the windows sitting on my lap, so usually curls up in a dog ball for a nap.

I expect there are others around here that have given their pooch a ride in the S5. What precautions do you take to protect the car?
Nate:

1. Driving with a dog in your lap is against the law. Repeat, it's illegal.

2. If you are involved in an accident that sets of your airbag, there is a very high likelihood it will be killed. If it is an accident under heavy breaking he could be thrown into the footwell (which is against the firewall, which is the first part of the car that intrudes into the cabin in a crash).

3. If your dog is (i know you said he's small) between you and the expanding airbag, he will be killed and you will be killed.

4. I am not speaking in hypothetical's. I am a trauma surgeon and have personally treated patients who have suffered fatal injuries just having a dog in their lap. Just so you know, i've even had a patient with a massive head injury after their unrestrained "little dog" was thrown into the back of their head when he was in the back seat.

Put a proper restraining device on your dog.

They are the same size as kids (no matter what size your dog is) and the thought of having an unrestrained child in your car is abhorent.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by b45H1r
Nate:

1. Driving with a dog in your lap is against the law. Repeat, it's illegal.

2. If you are involved in an accident that sets of your airbag, there is a very high likelihood it will be killed. If it is an accident under heavy breaking he could be thrown into the footwell (which is against the firewall, which is the first part of the car that intrudes into the cabin in a crash).

3. If your dog is (i know you said he's small) between you and the expanding airbag, he will be killed and you will be killed.

4. I am not speaking in hypothetical's. I am a trauma surgeon and have personally treated patients who have suffered fatal injuries just having a dog in their lap. Just so you know, i've even had a patient with a massive head injury after their unrestrained "little dog" was thrown into the back of their head when he was in the back seat.

Put a proper restraining device on your dog.

They are the same size as kids (no matter what size your dog is) and the thought of having an unrestrained child in your car is abhorent.
Always nice when a sane person full of facts and reason chimes in
Old 05-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't care if it were illegal. Note, however, that it is NOT illegal. There is no federal or state (except in Hawaii) law addressing having an animal in your lap while driving. In California, in 2008, Schwarzenegger vetoed a bill that would fine drivers for sharing the driver's seat with a pet. That is as close as it comes. Next time you try using "fear of the law" to prove an argument, check your facts. Repeat, you are full of stinky dog business.

Originally Posted by b45H1r
If your dog is (i know you said he's small) between you and the expanding airbag, he will be killed and you will be killed.
Sure, I could be killed by nearly anything. I could also win the lottery while getting hit be a meteor. Saying we will both be killed is just ridiculous.

The rest of your questionable post boils down to, "your dog will die if the airbag goes off". Maybe. That would be sad. She will still ride on my lap. You guys can not like it, you can GFY, I don't care!

I think we've just about beat to death the topic of puppies riding in laps. This thread is about protecting the car interior from dog hair, claws, dirt, etc. If we could talk about that, that would be fantastic.

Quick Reply: solution for putting my puppy in the S5