Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Stasis Exhaust Installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bader.Abbas
Yea it's true the drone is only with the auto, you wont experience any drone with the manual
enjoy
How do you like the auto vs a manual? Are the gear changes really rough with the paddle shifters since its only a single clutch?
Old 07-07-2010, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jaymacc077
How do you like the auto vs a manual? Are the gear changes really rough with the paddle shifters since its only a single clutch?
The automatic with Tiptronic uses a torque converter rather than a clutch. You're probably thinking of the sequential automated gearboxes (R-tronic, BMW SMG).
Old 07-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by questionlp
The automatic with Tiptronic uses a torque converter rather than a clutch. You're probably thinking of the sequential automated gearboxes (R-tronic, BMW SMG).
Oh ok thanks. But does the s5 shift smooth and quick with the paddle shifters?( not sure if you test drove an auto) I would want a manual but being downtown in atlanta the traffic is crazy.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Oh ok thanks. But does the s5 shift smooth and quick with the paddle shifters?( not sure if you test drove an auto) I would want a manual but being downtown in atlanta the traffic is crazy.
I can only speak for the Tiptronic in the 3.2 that I test drove a while back. It felt fairly smooth and a bit quicker than the 6-speed Tip in my current A4. The paddles makes it faster to select a new gear (due to not having to move my hand between the wheel and selector), but I didn't really notice any difference between engaging the paddles or using the selector.

In either case, the Tip will be faster than my own shifting with a manual transmissions (even more so the first couple of weeks), but I definitely understand not having to deal with it in nasty traffic. My commute isn't horrible, so it's not a concern for me... unless if I start traveling to Seattle more often (personal, not business).
Old 07-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I can only speak for the Tiptronic in the 3.2 that I test drove a while back. It felt fairly smooth and a bit quicker than the 6-speed Tip in my current A4. The paddles makes it faster to select a new gear (due to not having to move my hand between the wheel and selector), but I didn't really notice any difference between engaging the paddles or using the selector.

In either case, the Tip will be faster than my own shifting with a manual transmissions (even more so the first couple of weeks), but I definitely understand not having to deal with it in nasty traffic. My commute isn't horrible, so it's not a concern for me... unless if I start traveling to Seattle more often (personal, not business).
So what made you go with the manual and sprint blue color? I seen the sprint blue once like 2 years ago if i remember correctly it looked nice but i don't fully remember. I like the phantom black color with the magma red interior but I fine myself interested in the sprint blue mainly cause you dont see that color often.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also hear that they are coming out with a titanium edition 2011 s5. If so that would definitely be one that I would order
Old 07-07-2010, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I haven't driven the manual S5, I picked the auto cuz I live in downtown Boston and all of my driving is city driving.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

So what made you go with the manual and sprint blue color? I seen the sprint blue once like 2 years ago if i remember correctly it looked nice but i don't fully remember. I like the phantom black color with the magma red interior but I fine myself interested in the sprint blue mainly cause you dont see that color often.
My initial choice was Meteor Gray when I was looking at getting an A5 S-line, but after switching to an S5 and seeing a Sprint Blue S5 in person, it made enough of an impact for me to switch. I haven't seen a different S5 in Sprint Blue, or a TT-S or S4 in that color either. Seeing the color harkens back to seeing an RS4 Avant in a similar color and I had the same reaction.

Sure, it is somewhat similar to the other electric blue cars out there (like the color Mazda has for their previous gen Mazda 3 or Toyota FJs), but they do not hold a candle to Sprint Blue... mostly the paint's pearl effect. Also, while I like Imola Yellow and it would look nice on an S5, it kind of mutes the coupe's curves and stands out even more (particularly to the speed gun happy policemen in my area).

I opted for the manual primarily for the fun and control factor, even if it will be my first manual car. Yeah, it gets a bit worse mileage compared to the Tiptronic, but it's not a huge concern.

I also hear that they are coming out with a titanium edition 2011 s5. If so that would definitely be one that I would order
The Titanium Package is available for the A4/A5 clan (including sedans, wagons and cabriolets), although it is not available with the S-line package. The last part isn't an issue with the S models, though you will be limited to any color interior as long as it is black.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bader.Abbas
I haven't driven the manual S5, I picked the auto cuz I live in downtown Boston and all of my driving is city driving.
Thats exactly how I will be. I'll leave shifting gears manually to my motorcycle
Old 07-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My initial choice was Meteor Gray when I was looking at getting an A5 S-line, but after switching to an S5 and seeing a Sprint Blue S5 in person, it made enough of an impact for me to switch. I haven't seen a different S5 in Sprint Blue, or a TT-S or S4 in that color either. Seeing the color harkens back to seeing an RS4 Avant in a similar color and I had the same reaction.

Sure, it is somewhat similar to the other electric blue cars out there (like the color Mazda has for their previous gen Mazda 3 or Toyota FJs), but they do not hold a candle to Sprint Blue... mostly the paint's pearl effect. Also, while I like Imola Yellow and it would look nice on an S5, it kind of mutes the coupe's curves and stands out even more (particularly to the speed gun happy policemen in my area).

I opted for the manual primarily for the fun and control factor, even if it will be my first manual car. Yeah, it gets a bit worse mileage compared to the Tiptronic, but it's not a huge concern.

The Titanium Package is available for the A4/A5 clan (including sedans, wagons and cabriolets), although it is not available with the S-line package. The last part isn't an issue with the S models, though you will be limited to any color interior as long as it is black.
So your saying It looks like the Fj's color. Don't know if I will like that then. But I have a friend with a manual car and when I drive it is fun but I don't feel like its an everyday thing. Plus he tells me that he is so use to driving a manual that when he drives and automatic he brakes with his left foot. I don't want that to be me.

Quick Reply: Stasis Exhaust Installed!!