Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Steering wheel vibration - control arm replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Steering wheel vibration - control arm replacement

How many of you that have experienced the steering wheel vibration issue (60-70mph) have been able to get the new re-enigneering contol arm installed?

I have a very cool service rep, and he informed me that road force balancing and tire change out only mitigates the annoying steering wheel vibration - the new control arm fixes the problem - however I was told it may be months until I get one...he told me there was a long waiting list!

"Fandawg" I saw in a previous thread that you were able to get a replacement back in Sept??

Any insights or updates would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-29-2009, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very interesting; hadn't heard of that. I wonder if imbalanced wheels lead to..

... control arm/ball joint failures.

What are your thoughts on the Q5? Wifey needs a kidwagen and hates Avants. Q7 is larger than I'd like.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When did you get your A5? (more)

Had mine in for the 5,000 mile service last week and I asked the service rep about the TSB on the vibration issue. He said there weren't any TSB for my VIN. Same thing I was told when I bought it and asked the same question. My VIN didn't "qualify" for the TSB on the vibration. They seem to imply that this affects only early production models.

As I recall, numerous threads on this subject concluded that it was a control arm/bushings issue, even though early threads centered on road force balancing. One of the posters did indeed have that taken care of (bushings). I'd suggest searching for that issue. My service rep told me it was a tire issue with the OEM tires on the earlier models. Have no idea if he speaka da truth.

I swear I didn't have any vibration problems until I put on the winter tires (went down to 17" Dunlop Sport 3D on SE wheels). They were orginally installed out of balance on 3 of the 4 wheels...that problem was fixed and now I get very light steering wheel vibration at 60-70 but noticeable rough ride at that speed. And the rough ride seems like it comes from all four wheels, not just in the front/steering. Disappointing since my previous winter set-up didn't ride rough. I'd rather not chalk it up to "winter tires" but don't really know how to fix it if Audi says there are no problems.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have only had the car a month....

its an '09 - but an early build - it sat on the lot for a while because someone did a special order for Avus Silver ($2900 option) and did not take delivery - the dealer finally let the car go when we agreed I would NOT pay for the paint option

The problem seems to be with S-line A5's and S5's...I researched several previous threads and it is a legimate problem.

My service rep told me Audi has finally owned up the problem, but does not have adequate stock of the re-engineered control arms - so we have to wait!! Love the car - but not happy about this process.

Thanks for your input.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Very interesting; hadn't heard of that. I wonder if imbalanced wheels lead to..

My sales rep just finished Audi training on the Q5 in San Diego - he was really impressed. If its anything like the Q7 (driving, ride etc) should be great fit for her.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Steering wheel vibration - control arm replacement

Does anyone have part number of new control arms?
Old 01-29-2009, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Steering wheel vibration - control arm replacement

yes,

i did get my control arm and bushing replacement. my car now drives as smooth as silk at any speed no vibration whats so ever. i have put at least 5,000 miles on it since replacement. This is the only way to get rid of the vibtation. Nothing else will work and Audi knows that. I would push like crazy to get this work done.

hope that helped.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Just picked up my S5 on 1/26/09, vibrations present

I drove mine from the dealer in St. Louis straight home to Kansas City (230 miles) and noticed this mild all-over vibration; particularly in the 65mph+ range. Tires/car cold/hot - doesn't matter, ever-present; sometimes in the steering wheel, but mostly in the seat of my pants. One poster described it as almost "trucklike" and I agree. Again, mild but shouldn't be there. My '07 TL-S Type was slick as snot at any speed. Dull, but smooth!

With only about 700 miles on the car now, I will wait a bit longer to see if it's just in my head, part of the car settling, or a legit prob. Then, time to press dealer.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default My service rep told me this afternoon that parts came in...

...for a customer who has an S5 and has been on the waiting list since Sept '08. He told me he would give me the inside track on how to get Audi to expedite the process - I will get the info tomorrow when I pick up my car and let this forum know what he says..
Old 01-29-2009, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hey AZAudiFan, please update the thread once you have more info, I need to pursue my dealer as well.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Steering wheel vibration - control arm replacement