Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Steering Wheel Vibration- Lemon Law?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Vibration- Lemon Law?

So my A5 has been back to Audi multiple times regarding major steering wheel vibration between 60-70mph. They have done the allignment a couple times and it fixes nothing. The vibrating really drives me nuts on a new fairly expensive car. Does anyone know if this qualifies for lemon law?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheels or tires out of balance. Alignment rarely results in vibration. In those cases, the

car may wander, be harder or easier to turn, or have odd tire wear, but not vibration - although others are free to bring up something I've overlooked.

I very very strongly suggest you find a Hunter GSP9700 operator and have them check your wheels and tires. With the optional road force balancer, they can detect:

Tire defects.
Tire and rim runout.
Wheel-to-balancer mounting error.
Improper bead seating of tire to rim.<ul><li><a href="http://www.hunter.com/PUB/product/balancer/4159T/index.htm">use the locator</a></li></ul>
Old 07-14-2008, 08:21 AM
Former Vendor

Default http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/

<ul><li><a href="http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/">http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 07-14-2008, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Oh, and if that doesn't do the trick, then you may want to proceed to lemoning the car.

You got a booklet with the manuals that outlines the procedures for your state. Ideally your dealer would be on your side, and assist instead on getting the car bought back by Audi, as a "good will buy-back". This allows Audi a chance to take the car back without branding it a lemon, and you get either cash or a new A5.

If you choose that route, make sure to emphasize how much you like the car and brand - with the exception of the incurable shimmy. Obviously, they are more inclined to expend effort on somebody who can be made happy, then somebody who is impossible to please or will spread bad news about the brand and dealer. The starting point is to speak with the service manager, and make an appointment with the zone rep. Explain your plight to the zone rep.

Document everything in writing - past and present. Who you spoke to, phone numbers, when, what was promised. Supporting documentation is also important if you have it. This makes your life far easier whether you pursue a buy-back or lemon the car.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Banned

2nd...Have them try a Road Force balance...usually will do the trick...
Old 07-14-2008, 02:17 PM

Default Strange as it sounds, check your tire pressure...

I have driven several Audis with steering wheel vibrations at certain speed bands. Audis, and German cars in particular, are sensitive to air pressure differentials across the axle. A couple of psi difference, especially at the front of the vehicle, can cause steering wheel shimmy.

I realize that the service techs at the dealership should check the tire pressure before doing an alignment but sometimes, this is an overlooked step.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The C6 had a problem with a loose steering column.

I had minor vibration issues, and they dropped the panel below the steering wheel and tightened some screws. Seems ok now, but the vibration originally wasn't very serious. Not sure if it's the same problem, but sometimes it's a simple fix.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey April, with the new rims and tires,

should I get them to align it with the Hunter 9600 which measures angles, or the 9700 to check the tires via road force? Or both?
Old 07-16-2008, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The 9700 is a more advanced 9600 if I recall correctly. It just has a sophisticated load

wheel as an additional feature. The 9600 uses a more basic system.<ul><li><a href="http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/videos/index2.cfm?v=6">see rim runout and other functions demonstrated</a></li></ul>
Old 07-16-2008, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The guy with the Hunter 9600 seems to suggest that they perform diff functions.

The 9600 uses a laser guided alignment of the rims.

The 9700 apparently uses a balancing approach, including manufacturing tolerances in the tires which may have small weight disparities causing imbalance within the individual wheel.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Vibration- Lemon Law?