Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Sun Roof Tinted

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sun Roof Tinted

Had my sun roof in my S5 tinted with 5%, best $35.00 ever spent. It gets so hot on my head, not anymore. If any of you guys live in a hot area you should look into it. I am glad I did. Even here in Colorado in the summer the sun in so intense.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same thing soon as I got my A5.. except I went 30% all-around. ceramic tint... def helps..
Old 07-28-2010, 02:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

A local tint shop told me you run teh risk of teh glass shattering with teh tint holding the heat in......I am not sure if this is true or not
Old 07-28-2010, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
A local tint shop told me you run teh risk of teh glass shattering with teh tint holding the heat in......I am not sure if this is true or not
well, 1st, this is where the ceramic tint helps as they reflect more. 2nd, the tint is so thin that the amount of heat it hold won't do much to your glasses (imagine the different between inside and outside temp during winter days. It can get to -10 outside while inside is above 65. That alone should do more damage than the tint holding heat)
Old 07-29-2010, 04:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BlueSander
well, 1st, this is where the ceramic tint helps as they reflect more. 2nd, the tint is so thin that the amount of heat it hold won't do much to your glasses (imagine the different between inside and outside temp during winter days. It can get to -10 outside while inside is above 65. That alone should do more damage than the tint holding heat)
I think what JBDinTX was talking about had to do with the factory tint on the sun roof. The factory tint is part of the laminated layer inside the glass. When adding aftermarket tint, there is now a sandwiched layer of glass between two heat reflectors. Since tint reflects heat on both sides you end up with the sandwich layer having to deal with a significantly larger amount of heat than the other layer of glass.

While it would seem winter should always cause a problem, cold winter air actually helps since it can cool the glass. It would be summer when the sun it most powerful that problems could arise. Think about it this way. If the inside of your tinted car ( which is rejecting a large amount of heat because of the tint ) can get to 100F, it would stand to reason the layer of glass between two heat reflectors would be significantly hotter.

I'm not claiming to be an expert on this and it all could be wrong. I'm just saying what I've read a number of times.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

^^^ nice, I see the issue now. Was thinking a bit differently. Anyway, that would mean the larger the difference between factory tint and owner's sunroof tint, the higher the risk would be (unless, you want to put new tint on the outside of the sunroof, then the larger the difference, the lower risk of shattering the glass would be. Just my .02
Old 07-29-2010, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes I have the Windows tinted 30% all around. Went back to have the sunrood tinted as dark as possible to make it cooler on my head. I have a close friend that does my tint and clear bra. I told him about the concerns that I read on this forum prior to having him tint it. He said he was not worried about it since the sun roof glass is tempered. It was not like he was trying to get money out of me. It was onlu $35. We will see but I am not worried .