Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

They sold the damn car out from under me...PISSED

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They sold the damn car out from under me...PISSED

You may have read my last post a few down from this in reference to which model to get...the A5 I've had on order or the exact S5 I'd get which randomly became available this morning @ my local dealer.

So after a conversation this early afternoon with my sales guy (who is now a sales mgr), I told him I would be over there immediately once I got off work to complete the paperwork for the purchase of the S5. I told him the only thing that could keep me from buying this car at all would be the trim as I would have ordered carbon, but this had the piano black w/ stainless. He said no prob, he would have it ready and I could take a quick peak when I got there and if I changed my mine, that was no problem. I said great, see you @ about 6:30.

He calls me back a little later in the afternoon @ says he is leaving around 4 or 5, so he will have one of his reps help me with the paperwork/purchase/etc when I get there.

So around 6:00 I'm heading in that direction -- I get a call from the dealership and its this guy I'm supposed to meet with telling me not to waste any time coming over because someone else swooped in and purchased the car. I'm so pissed I don't even know what to say at this point. I finally calm down enough to ask why the car wasn't taken off the lot. He of course, "doesn't know". Said another one of the sales reps just sold the car a few minutes ago.

At this point I am furious as 1) the car should have been taken off the lot to begin with per my conversation a few hours earlier w/ the sales mgr, and 2) this guy should have spoken up when the car was being shown and consequently sold.

I decided to cruise over to the dealership either way because I wanted to see if someone was actually buying it right then. Turns out someone was, and they had just finished prepping the car. But as I pull in, guess who runs outside from the office to greet me...looking like he is trying to hide something. The salesman who was supposed to be waiting for me. I didn't say much, just wanted to see for myself, but my friend who was with me let him and another sales guy there have it.

As I turned to leave I told him they would likely need to find someone to purchase my A5 as well. Then I get in my truck and start backing out and I see this guy go inside and side down with the guy buying the car to finish the paperwork. Directly through the window in front of me. This snake who knew I was coming to purchase the car sold it to someone else himself...no call, no nothing. Probably assuming that they would be selling me my A5 either way, so might as well secure both.

I simply don't know what to even say about this...I have NEVER been burned this bad. I called and changed all the loan info w/ my bank, got my new down payment rdy, etc, etc...changed my whole mindset from an A5 to an S5 w/ magma red...basically my dream config...without the 9-12 month WAIT! Then it gets pulled out from under me.

That guy did happen to call the sales mgr I've been working with for months and he said that he thought I wanted to look at it first before making a decision. I made the damn decision on the phone and told him I was coming to buy the damn thing. If I knew it was a flat out race to get there first I would have dropped everything and gotten there at 1:00 this afternoon long before this other chump. !&@*&!*@&@(*&#^@(*

Not only do I not want to buy my A5 that is coming in any day from this dealer anymore, I don't know if I can settle back into that after being so excited about the S5. And the worst part is that I know the dealership owner really well, but I hate getting him involved in this kind of crap.

Needed to vent somewhere...sorry
Old 08-20-2008, 09:08 PM

Default Sorry to hear that, man. What a weasel. There is no excuse for that when...

...a car is this hot.

What, the sales guy couldn't wait a day or two? At least he could have given you the courtesy of seeing it, even if he thought you might change your mind after seeing it and go with the A5. So what, he loses a day at the most. Whoever he sold it to today would have happily come back tomorrow, or on the weekend or whatever; certainly that buyer is not flying to the moon tomorrow or something, requiring him to do the deal today--or never. Also, the sale falls into this month's sales figures, whether the sale is today or tomorrow or Saturday, so he can't even pull that excuse, as lame as it would be anyway.

I don't get it. I think that was horrible. Obviously you can't buy from that person, but do you believe the sales manager was also a co-conspirator?
Old 08-20-2008, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default omfg, you have to be kidding

what a bunch of scum bag losers. where do you live , I might have an idea. very sorry and I am going to leave it at that but I feel your pain.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:44 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Sorry to hear. If you know the dealership owner really well I would absolutely get him involved.

If nothing else he should get you a fantastic deal on the A5 if you didn't have one already.

While I find this dealerships behaviour unacceptable I cannot say I'm shocked. In their mind they figure why sell you the S5? Then they have to sell your ordered A5 on the lot which as you have configured would sticker for $54,000 right next to more desirable less expensive mass configured A5s (no S-Line, auto, no Drive Select) for say $47,000. (Even as you point out an S5 sans Drive Select and Tech is $54k) As nice as the A5 is I think they'd have a hard time moving it. So they figured sell the S5 and you'll still take the A5 since it's only a couple weeks away and they can blame the whole debacle on mis-communications or say as they did "another salesman just sold it". It is really sad since they had told it would be "no problem". It's a tough call considering you waited so long, but I would too be tempted to tell them to go scratch and good luck selling the $54k A5.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Exactly...

but I don't think the sales manager was a co-conspirator, but he did drop the ball in part as well. He should have been all over these guys making sure they knew not to even think about selling the car tonight, or at least until I got there.

I've been working with him for a long time and he has been great. He also knows how well I know the dealership owner, so that would be really stupid.

If I do end up picking up the A5, I will make certain that one sales rep has nothing to do with it.

Also, the sales manager I've been working with is going to walk into the office tomorrow with a rather nasty email about todays events waiting in his inbox. Lets see what happens, if anything after tomorrow morning...
Old 08-20-2008, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default What is sad is that I have a co-worker who was going to buy the A5 that I ordered!

And I told my sales guy (the sales manager) this afternoon that this was going to happen. They wouldn't have even had to try and sell this one. Amazing, but this other salesman I'm sure thought something of the sort.

I will most likely be bring it to his attention (the dealership owner), but I'm going to wait and hear from the sales manager I've been working with for a while. He has a long and harsh email waiting for him in his mailbox, and when he calls I'll make sure to go over it all again.

Murphy's Law...
Old 08-21-2008, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default $

No offense. But if you know you want something you have to put a deposit down.
Right there, right then.

It's not 'yours' until you pay for it.

IT's business. That's how it works.

You NEVER tell someone that you will be by after work. You give them your credit card OVER THE PHONE and tell them to run a charge and confirm by email that you have held the order.

[p]
Old 08-21-2008, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That sucks man...

I never had a good experience with a car dealer until I started dealing with Yuri at Momentum in Houston. Truly the only car dealer I've ever dealt with that was honest, upfront, and helpful. Sounds like you just got a bad apple dealer. Hopefully it doesn't sour you on the Audi brand. As you can see by the folks here (many of them dealers), they are very helpful and honest (more the rule than the exception like your douche bag dealer who sold it out from under you to make a quick $).
Old 08-21-2008, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think you are being a little harsh PericlesNYC

While I agree in part with what you are saying, the PRINCIPLE of the matter here is dishonest horrible "salesmanship"! Their behavior is no way to treat a current (or for that manner ANY) customer!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

+1

Quick Reply: They sold the damn car out from under me...PISSED