Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

They sold the damn car out from under me...PISSED

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: They sold the damn car out from under me...PISSED

I just had a bad experience with Bell Audi, NJ of Edison on the new 09 A4 and I can feel your pain.

I am currently a BMW guy and was hoping to switch to my first Audi, and after my recent turmoil, I'm not sure if I'm gonna get the A4 even though I love the car
Old 08-21-2008, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default +2

God forbid he should take someone's word without giving them his credit card and $ deposit. A sales manager that he has worked with and already made a purchase from, a salesman that should have the sense to forewarn other potential customers that they have someone who is already coming to look at the car in a few hours.

Good salesmen and good dealerships don't just revolve around making an instant buck. They actually train to retain long-term relationships for both purchases and service with buyers. That's how they make money too you know. They 're wrong on this one. They treated another person, their customer, poorly.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

good salesman are very hard to come by much less trust. always CYA... put down a deposit.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Dude that really sucks.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sucks...but keep the A5.

Give yourself a week to cool off about this. The dealer is an @$$hole. No doubt about it. But don't let this ruin your chance to get your spectacular A5! Once you get it, you'll be happy. It's a beautiful car, spectacular to drive, and it actually has some advantages over the S5 in terms of handling, free-revving nature, weight, and mileage. The S5 is magnificent--better in some other respects. But both are glorious. Treat this as a bump on the road, get your A5, and find a new dealer after that.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That's shady. I would start with GM of dealership, then Audi regional rep, then AoA.

You can't change what happened, but you can make Audi corporate aware of this dealers particular practices.

I suspect Audi corporate won't look too favorably on this and might be willing to help you locate another car from another dealer.

Worth a try. I wouldn't give up just yet...
Old 08-21-2008, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Find an S5. I think the extra power is worth it.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:15 AM

Default Agree to a point. At least here in Cali, a deposit merely demonstrates an interest/intent to...

..purchase, and is refundable at the request of either party. So it really doesn't guarentee one anything per se, legally or otherwise, unlike a completed purchase order or agreement with VIN, terms, etc. spelled out and signed by both parties. Also, I believe there are legal issues surrounding a dealerships ability to "hold" a car for someone without it being tripped (believe these are actually consumer protection clauses). So if all the sales guys get on the horn and phone customers re. an open unit, it's usually the first one down there with cash and pen in hand that gets the car, purchase price being what it is/equal. This kinda happened with my brother's S5 purchase. We literally raced up there an hour after getting the call about the freed up car, and did the deal right then. Another propspective buyer showed up not 10 minutes after we did. Had we gotten stuck in traffic or something, my guess is he would have lost her. Still a sad story though, given the relationship this gentleman had with his dealer and all. Bad scene all around. : /
Old 08-21-2008, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I agree with pericles...

you should have put down a deposit. However since it seems like you have a good rep with your dealership they should have held the car for you.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default while you have every right to be angry...

given the demand/supply imbalance on the car unfortunately this sort of behavior shouldn't come as a big surprise. we're talking about car dealers, here, not lawyers or doctors (having trouble coming up with a good analogy!!)....

i had a similar situation happen to me with a bmw about 10 years ago...my situation was even a bit more sleezy than what you are describing, so i took it all the way--bmwna, sales, mgr, dealership owner, and then lawyer. it took months but eventually got straightened out to my liking, and in the meantime the salesperson that shafted me was let go.

so my suggestion is certainly to follow up with the dealer, and if they won't give you satisfaction i would never deal with them again....there will be other cars, even s5's!!

Quick Reply: They sold the damn car out from under me...PISSED