Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Thinking of Trading R8 for an S5

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of Trading R8 for an S5

I have an 08 R8 with about 7000 miles that I'm thinking of trading for an S5 vert. I also have a bmw 135i vert 6 speed that I leased that is going back in June. The BMW is chipped and really runs nice. The R8 is fun but the fun is wearing off. So I'm thinking of the S5 to replace both cars. However, I read where the S5 vert only has an auto?? Also are there any tuners that have chips and/or super charger pulley systems to extract more HP? Are the rumors true of an RS5 coming to the states and if so what motor will it have?

Thanks
Old 03-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 89vette
I have an 08 R8 with about 7000 miles that I'm thinking of trading for an S5 vert. I also have a bmw 135i vert 6 speed that I leased that is going back in June. The BMW is chipped and really runs nice. The R8 is fun but the fun is wearing off. So I'm thinking of the S5 to replace both cars. However, I read where the S5 vert only has an auto?? Also are there any tuners that have chips and/or super charger pulley systems to extract more HP? Are the rumors true of an RS5 coming to the states and if so what motor will it have?

Thanks
wanna trade?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

The RS5 seems to have a messaged 4.2 litre engine that is used in the RS4 (and IIRC, the R8 4.2). The output is now 450 HP at 8250 RPM and ~317 lb/ft of torque between 4000 and 6000 RPM.

The S5 Cabriolet is only available with the 7-speed DSG, just like the S5 Sportback.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks
Because it will be a long time before I could ever get into a R8, I must ask "How is the fun wearing off"? Something about the car itself or are you just "tired" of it? I know I usually get tired of my cars about 1.5 years in...But, then again, I've never had an R8...
Old 03-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

And this was posted in another thread...

http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com/Audi.S4.B8.Engine.htm

Same engine...MTM tuned
Old 03-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiSTL
Because it will be a long time before I could ever get into a R8, I must ask "How is the fun wearing off"? Something about the car itself or are you just "tired" of it? I know I usually get tired of my cars about 1.5 years in...But, then again, I've never had an R8...
Fun probably isn't the right word. I really, really like the convertible 135i. I drive it all the time and I can put a kid or two in the back. I take the R8 to soccer practice and one and a while out to dinner and stuff. It's a great car but a little more involved to drive than the smaller BMW. I'm always afraid I'm going to get a rock chip, hit a deer or get a door ding or a key scratch. Therefore I'm always nervous when I drive it and that takes the fun out of it. I love fast cars and the R8 is not very fast in acceleration. The V10 is way too much coin and the drop top is even more. For that kind of money, I'd rather have a used F430 Spyder.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

seems like money isnt much of an object to you. Id say if your really looking for that speed without worrying about the car, go get a C6 Z06 Corvette...sure its not an audi, but it seems to fit your bill of Super fast car for "not much coin"

Otherwise, I cant imagine the S5 will hold up against a new R8 in anything but price (and I LOVE my S5)
Old 03-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

For that kind of money, I'd rather have a used F430 Spyder.
I like the way you think.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Although I personally don't care for it's styling, a BMW M6 'vert would give you a good rush. Their V10's are real screamers, and you can get it with a manual transmission!
Old 03-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Q
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rbeal
seems like money isnt much of an object to you. Id say if your really looking for that speed without worrying about the car, go get a C6 Z06 Corvette...sure its not an audi, but it seems to fit your bill of Super fast car for "not much coin"

Otherwise, I cant imagine the S5 will hold up against a new R8 in anything but price (and I LOVE my S5)
Now that was low. I wouldn't recommend an american made car to my worst enemy...

Quick Reply: Thinking of Trading R8 for an S5