Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Top Gear Magazine: "Boring AND ugly"

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: All depends in what is important to you...

What about the Standard A5? Are you considering that? If not, Could you tell me why? :-) Thanks
Old 04-23-2007, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I wasn't considering the standard A5 only because I think it is more of a 328 competitor

and after having the 3.2 engine in my A6, I believe that I'm ready to get something that is more 'tunable' engine-wise. If I had to consider the standard A5 vs. the 335 - I would more than likely go with the 335 as it has the performance levels that I would want in a car. It's interesting how closely staggered all of these cars are. If the A5 comes in at 6.1, I guess that is respectable enough, it's just that I really want a car that is in the upper four range or can be easily tuned to get it there. Both the 335 and S5 fulfill the performance equation for me on that part. Now if someone was to release a supercharger for the A5 3.2, it would be a harder decision. An A5 S-Line with 'S5 power' would be very desirable. I do care about 0-60 times and performance, which may or may not be what most are concerned about. I want a car that can easily hold it's own for a given class.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The S5 will be 60Kish, same with the new M3. M3 might even base in high 50s.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sorry, doubt the M3 will be in the $50k range. In fact closer to high $60k more than likely.

Also the S5 should be mid to high 50s and 'shouldn't' touch $60k. If it does, then a lot of people in the U.S. will be very surprised as it would mean that it is a good $6k more expensive than the current S4 while the rest of the world pays about the same for either car.

The S5 is not meant to compete with the M3, instead it is staggered below it while the upcoming RS5 will "cap" the M3.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:27 AM
RS7

Default A Honda can't do 0-100knph in 5.9 seconds, and the S5 does 0-100kmph in 5.1 seconds

Theres no way a filthy honda can outdo the top A5 models. If all you want is performance though get an S5. I have heard that it will be priced at a very similar price to the current S4. Thats what I heard anyway, is an M3 similar in price to an S4?

Apart from performance as well theres a lot more to an Audi in case you didn't know. Style, prestige, build quality, fine craftsmanship. Thats why you get an Audi, if all you want is affordable performance then get a WRX and be done. Its fast and lacks things which would cause it to cost more.

Don't bother looking at an A5 if all you want is performance, its got good performance, but I think its more of a cruising car.

If you do want a performance Audi though just get an S5 or RS4. Its simple. The normal Audis are more luxury based, S models are a blend of Sport and Luxury; and RS models are pure sport.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:32 AM
RS7

Default Is the S5 going to be More Expensive in the US; where I am they said Similar to the S4

That would be a pest if you have to pay more in the US. It would seem to make sense that the car is priced at the same level as the S4 as it has many common features.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What about the A5? So you have to get an Audi "S" model just to compete with a standard 335?

The standard A5 should have more performance IMO. Or maybe I'm making the A5 into something that it isn't? And that would be a sports-coupe. The Standard A5 IMO is a "luxury coupe",it doesn't offer enough performace to be called a sports-coupe.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think so. There are options the S4 doesn't have: 19" wheels, B&O, back up camera, among some

other options such as the interior upgrades, including trim, etc... The S4 will come in at around $55k fully loaded. Expect that the S5 will be at least that.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see the above thread re: confirmed British pricing of the A5, S5 & M3
Old 04-25-2007, 07:34 AM
RS7

Default Any Standard A5 is not a Sports Coupe as such, The S5 is the Sports Model

This is the same with any of the Audi cars though. "A" models are more luxurious while "S" and "RS" models are the sports and super sports models.

Audi is unique among cars having two sets of sports models (S and RS). Other cars like BMW will just extend the standard range with a better engine hence 335i, then have the M3.

I like what Audi has done as the S and RS models really look and feel much more sporty in every way possible. I think even the M5 BMW, doesn't look or feel sporty enough at all. The S6 is though, very different and much more different to the standart A6 range, same with S4/RS4 to the A4 and S8 to the A8 etc.

You obviously want a performance car so just go for the S5 or wait for the RS5. I would choose one of them over the standard A5 any day, but thats what I want. When I'm ready to get an Audi I definitely want to get an S or RS model though. Its really worth it in every way.

Quick Reply: Top Gear Magazine: "Boring AND ugly"