Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Tyre recommendations for 19 x 8.5J ‘5-spoke Y’ design alloy wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyre recommendations for 19 x 8.5J ‘5-spoke Y’ design alloy wheels

I own an A5 2.0 TFSI 180PS with 19 x 8.5J ‘5-spoke Y’ design alloy wheels fitted and almost ready to replace the front pair of tyres, can anyone recommend any.

I'm not too bothered about top end performance, can't say I've more than 100mph in the car so having another set of tyres like the Pirelli P Zero 255/35 R19 Y which came with the car isn't really that necessary.

I've not been that happy with the Pirelli P Zero tyres as in the 2 years I've owned the car I've only managed 8,500 miles and almost due for replacement. I don't drive too harshly and keep the tyres inflated to the correct pressures and mainly carry out journeys around town.

Ideally I'm looking for tyres that will cover more distance before having to replaced again in future.

Dave
Old 10-26-2010, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm looking into the continental extremecontact dws. Relatively long treadwear and cheaper than Michelin, Bridgestone, and Pirelli. They are made in Germany. High performance all season tires.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks BBMaster for you reply to my post, really appreciate it. Look forward to additions contributions in the near future from other members to before making a decision.

Dave
Old 10-27-2010, 03:34 PM
caf
AudiWorld Member

The high performance Pirellis are more about lateral grip than high speed performance. If you aren't using the lateral grip, you'll get much better mileage out of a high end all season tire. Check out the reviews on Tire Rack.

We're still on our first set of Pirellis on the A5 (19" Y type wheels) at 25K miles overall, but we take them off several months a year for winter tires.

I find the Pirellis to be getting increasingly noisy as they age.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by steely_resolve
Look forward to additions contributions in the near future from other members to before making a decision.

Dave
I got a bubble on the sidewall on one of my OEM Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GTs not long after I got the car (3.5k miles), and was taking a trip in a few days. Nobody had any of these tires in stock last Spring, so I ordered 4 General Exclaim UHPs from the Tire Rack (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....l=Exclaim+UHP&). I have them on another car ('03 SAAB 9-5 Aero) and love them, so I got a set for the A5. Best move I ever made.

Not only are they considerably less expensive than the Dunlops, they also are far better in the wet & dry.

Tried to sell the 3 Dunlops locally (don't want to be bothered with shipping), but got no takers. Guess I'll hang onto them, so when the lease expires, I'll have 3 near new tires to put on the car if necessary, and will get one more to complete the set.

That's my two cents...hope it helps.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

The Michelin pilot sport a/s plus is also a good choice for high performance all season tires, but more expensive compared with continental. It has a 70,000km/6 years warranty. I think costco sells them. You pay a premium at costco for those tires but it comes with lifetime replacement and maintenance service.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Wondering why my response hasn't been posted?

I included a link from the Tire Rack for steely_resolve to answer his question, and a popup message said my response had to be reviewed by a moderator.

So what's taking so long? Hmmm?
Old 10-31-2010, 02:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've just checked out Tire Rack and with this being an American web-site obviously the prices are in dollars, but thanks a5sport for the suggestion. Makes a big difference using web-sites and the cuurency and location when factoring in pricing such as taxation, delivery and fitting but appreciate your suggestion all the same.

So far, all I know is I won't be having the Pirelli tyres on my car again and trying to decide between Continental Extreme Contacts or Michelin Pilot Sports.

Will let you know what I soon once I've decide, but any else wishes to add further comments fine, more the better.

Dave
Old 10-31-2010, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by steely_resolve
...but thanks a5sport for the suggestion. Dave
My sugestion to you was to look at General UHP Exclaim tires...if they are available in your part of the planet.

I had to replace ALL of my OEM Dunlop SP Sport MAAX GTs due to a bubble on one tire (tapped a curb @ 3k miles). As I was taking a trip a few days later, I could not find ANY place selling them...not even just the ONE I needed...all were out of stock. I have the Generals on an '03 SAAB 9-5 Aero, and I love them, so I ordered a set for the A5. Glad I did. Not only are they superior to the Dunlops, they are also 2/3 the price (at least from the Tire Rack & another site I looked at). Great dry & wet handling.

The SAAB originally had P-Zero Neros on it, and the Generals, again, are far better tires. Worth considering if available to you.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks folks for all your posts, I've decided on some Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres, mainly because I've heard alot of people my brother included who has an A4 Quattro they they have had good durability and wear.

Also the following link seem to support this argument :

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm

Many thanks again to all of you and will post in the future results I've found having had them on the car a while.

Dave

Quick Reply: Tyre recommendations for 19 x 8.5J ‘5-spoke Y’ design alloy wheels