Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Ugh....Just Rear Ended Somebody

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Ugh....Just Rear Ended Somebody

Man...sick right now. Tough way to start the day. Was on the way to get coffee and I just hit somebody at the top of an on ramp. Glanced at my mirror for a second to see if anything was coming and a dump truck and Grand Am in front of me jammed on their brakes. Jammed on mine, but it was too late. Pretty hard impact that pushed him forward. No airbags. He got out, I got out. Said he could care less about his car, felt bad for mine. Gave me his card.

Mine doesn't look bad, but I think the whole front facia and grill area is pushed in about a quarter inch. The hood seems okay with one very smal chip in the corner by the headlight. A few cracks in the grill. Scuffs on the facia. Looks like the license plate area was the center of the impact. I'm guessing there is some damage underneath.

Now I have to decide whether or not to go through insurance. I'm sure it's a couple thousand in damage if they replace the grill, bumper cover, clear bra and whatever brackets etc. underneath. I have a $500 deductible, but will have a couple points added to my insurance which will follow me for 6 years. Probably a wash in the end.

Anyway, just needed to vent. One lapse of concentration for one second makes for a crappy day. There are worse things going on in the world though.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Considering what Audi parts cost and what a GOOD body shop charges, you will want to claim it. I had the body shop affiliated with the dealership I work at do me a favor and repaint my back bumper on one of my cars. It was 300 bucks. No parts were involved. that was supposed to be a deal too.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jab23
One lapse of concentration for one second makes for a crappy day. .
The good news is that nobody got hurt. A lapse of concentration for one second can end up a lot worse that a crappy day.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully he won't google what your car costs and then develop some soft tissue damages thereafter.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by John P. (TT 225)
Hopefully he won't google what your car costs and then develop some soft tissue damages thereafter.
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade!

I would use this opportunity to get either a Caractere front end from Belgium. Or, be the first to do the RS5 front end conversion!

But that's just me.

Personally, I'm waiting for some dumbass with a trailer hitch to back up into me before my Caractere kits gets here - but what are the chances of that

Last edited by cabriolow; 08-08-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My suggestion is go get an estimate and then decide whether to claim it or not. Don't be afraid to call your insurance company and ask what will happen to yur rates if you make the claim - they should be able to tell you, and they should not hold it against you if you decide to not make the claim. It's a good idea to talk to them becuase it protects you in case the other party makes a claim against you some time in the future. If you fail to tell your own insurance company, they may deny you coverage if you are sued for damage from this accident later on.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely be getting the insurance company involved. The other party never took any info from me. It was literally a 30 second exchange before he drove away.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by looking@audi
The good news is that nobody got hurt. A lapse of concentration for one second can end up a lot worse that a crappy day.
+1. Sorry to hear it buddy - sucks for you.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jab23
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely be getting the insurance company involved. The other party never took any info from me. It was literally a 30 second exchange before he drove away.
you are supposed to call your insurance up and make a report no matter what. That should give them some basic information of what took place and later, if and hopefully never, the other driver came back and went after you for medical reasons, your insurance would have a chance of fighting in court. If nothing takes place and you don't want them to get involved, they will just disregard the information like nothing took place. Also, since there wasn't a police report or anything, I don't think there is any reason this would go on your driving record (at least not in CT but we don't even have the point system here). If things are similar here and your place, then if your insurance premium went up, just call and switch to another company, they won't have the authority to see "in house records" form your previous insurer.
Anyway, the above are based on what i know. Someone else could chime in a bit/making correction if any.

Last edited by BlueSander; 08-10-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zee007
+1. Sorry to hear it buddy - sucks for you.
got a pic of your S5? I would like to see the black optics option, thanks, seems like you got it all