Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Upgrade to S5 now, later, ugh...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade to S5 now, later, ugh...

I would love to hear some of your thoughts. I ordered my amazing A5 mid-2008. Took delivery before the holidays and have been driving her with tremendous joy every day since. Best auto EVER! However, with the few repairs I have had done, I'm a sucker for a warranty. 4 years/50K miles is rapidly approaching and I know I need to start planning my move.

Here is where I stand.

- My A5 is a 2009, 3.2L V6.
- My interior is linen beige. Love having a beige headliner and dash.
- I love the power as much as I love the comfort.

So I drove a few S5s lately. I have some issues.

- Highly bolstered seats for long trips could get annoying.
- No interior color options offer an alternative to a black dash and headliner.
- Drive select is a MUST for comfort.

Soooo.... I can't bring myself to buy a 2.0L 4 cylinder. I just can't. But to get what I want, the price tag is $64K. More than $20K over a new A5. *sigh* And it still isn't quite as comfy as my current ride.

I prefer to trade around four years - maximizing resale and keeping my car under the original factory warranty. But I'm really torn. Moreover, since the 2012 order guide came out in April, I'm going to have to decide shortly after year's end if I want to get a 2012 model. But then again, what might 2013 bring... wonder what the supercharged V6 would bring to the S5?

Have any of you had a dealership certify your existing car to extend the warranty past the original one to 6 years/100K miles?

Ugh. Any perspectives or insights you can provide would be appreciated.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My first thought is for you to trade to a 2010 or 11 that is CPO'd but low mileage to save $$ but extend warranty out. You could just buy the extended warranty on your car now at a decent price from your dealer for whatever period/mileage you want. They tend to have specials on it every once and awhile.

Don't know if you feel like a convertible but the S5 convertible has an option to get heated and cooled seats with air scarf but what is important to you is that the seats are like what you have now, not the normal S5 sport seats. At least the roof goes down to help that dark headliner problem : )
Old 05-23-2011, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

But aren't "extended warranties" on Audis third-party unless I get my car certified?

The convertible is a great idea, but we just picked up a used TT roadster, and where we live winter is way too big a part of the year for two convertibles in the house! LOL But that is a good idea...
Old 05-23-2011, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by diva_alicia
I would love to hear some of your thoughts. I ordered my amazing A5 mid-2008. Took delivery before the holidays and have been driving her with tremendous joy every day since. Best auto EVER! However, with the few repairs I have had done, I'm a sucker for a warranty. 4 years/50K miles is rapidly approaching and I know I need to start planning my move.

Here is where I stand.

- My A5 is a 2009, 3.2L V6.
- My interior is linen beige. Love having a beige headliner and dash.
- I love the power as much as I love the comfort.

So I drove a few S5s lately. I have some issues.

- Highly bolstered seats for long trips could get annoying.
- No interior color options offer an alternative to a black dash and headliner.
- Drive select is a MUST for comfort.

Soooo.... I can't bring myself to buy a 2.0L 4 cylinder. I just can't. But to get what I want, the price tag is $64K. More than $20K over a new A5. *sigh* And it still isn't quite as comfy as my current ride.

I prefer to trade around four years - maximizing resale and keeping my car under the original factory warranty. But I'm really torn. Moreover, since the 2012 order guide came out in April, I'm going to have to decide shortly after year's end if I want to get a 2012 model. But then again, what might 2013 bring... wonder what the supercharged V6 would bring to the S5?

Have any of you had a dealership certify your existing car to extend the warranty past the original one to 6 years/100K miles?

Ugh. Any perspectives or insights you can provide would be appreciated.
I would buy a couple of more years extended warranty and stick with the '09 A5.

OR

Get a 2011-12 A5 2.0T 6MT S-Line

IF

You can't afford S5
Old 05-23-2011, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Soooo.... I can't bring myself to buy a 2.0L 4 cylinder. I just can't.
I don't understand this logic. You can't get yourself to buy a turbo 4 but your have no problem with a normally aspirated V6? What's so exciting about a V6? It powers such "exotic" cars as Dodge Caravan, Chevy Malibu, Ford Taurus, Toyota Camry, etc. And while there have been a number of very fast turbocharged, 4 cylinder cars mad over the years, I can't think of a single true sports car that came with NA V6.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

I can afford the S5, but spending that much on an everyday driver seems a little much to me. I struggle with the two being so far apart in price in my mind. Maybe it is an artificial barrier I need to get over.

As for the 4 cylinder - I drove a 2011 2.0 A5 S-Line. It was fine coming out of a light, but I had to downshift constantly to get any pick up once I was over 40 mph. It didn't feel powerful enough for the weight of the car. And the sound... I just really didn't like it.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As for the 4 cylinder - I drove a 2011 2.0 A5 S-Line. It was fine coming out of a light, but I had to downshift constantly to get any pick up once I was over 40 mph. It didn't feel powerful enough for the weight of the car. And the sound... I just really didn't like it.
I'm with you on the 2.0T. Dealership has given me a 2.0 Q5 loaner and compared to my wife's 3.2 I just could not switch. 0-40 or 50 is one thing, but on interstates the 3.2, while no monster by any stretch of the imagination, cruises much better than the 4-cyl. The 2.0 is fine for lots of people, but I just don't see it myself, YMMV.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Curious, what kind of repairs did you have to get done on your A5? Audi has a reputation for so-so quality? Just asking because just bought a 2011S5 Cou'pe
Old 05-25-2011, 04:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Keep your current car. The out of warranty repairs will cost less then the depreciation on a new car.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm opting for later myself, when the S5 has the current S4's drivetrain.

Quick Reply: Upgrade to S5 now, later, ugh...