Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Upgraded H11 fogs to 3000k Xenon

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buiyahkah
i did the same mod with 4300k bulbs and there are no errors
Where and what kit did you get with the 4300k setup?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Imola Ghost
Where and what kit did you get with the 4300k setup?
i got the same kit as the OP..from the seller on Ebay. i paid $5 more and got the slim ballasts as well.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cabriolow
Yup
but in Southern Cali - we don't see much fog. Hell - I don't even know what fog looks like!
Agreed... I was pleased about the Hoen H11 "upgrade", but honestly I rarely use the fogs.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

alriht i wanna do this with 4300k ones.

do the fogs need to be re-aimed?

what do you mean tape the ballast?

thanks!
Old 04-15-2010, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by flyfishing
alriht i wanna do this with 4300k ones.

do the fogs need to be re-aimed?

what do you mean tape the ballast?

thanks!
You dont have to re-aim the lights - in fact, dont touch the aiming screws

Xenon bulbs come with ballasts (two little boxes) that need to go somewhere
Old 04-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

ok thanks. i placed an order for 4300k h11 slim ballasts, but couldn't figure out how to pay him extra during checkout.

i saw an a4 with HID fogs yesterday and it didn't have glare and looked good so i figured why not.

so do i just pull the plastic housing pieces on both sides (like you do when you place new h11 bulbs in) and instead of replacing the bulbs, just unplugging the whole set up and plugging in the new ballasts and bulbs in?

how much 3m tape did you put on?

thanks
Old 04-17-2010, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by flyfishing
ok thanks. i placed an order for 4300k h11 slim ballasts, but couldn't figure out how to pay him extra during checkout.

i saw an a4 with HID fogs yesterday and it didn't have glare and looked good so i figured why not.

so do i just pull the plastic housing pieces on both sides (like you do when you place new h11 bulbs in) and instead of replacing the bulbs, just unplugging the whole set up and plugging in the new ballasts and bulbs in?

how much 3m tape did you put on?

thanks
i covered the whole back of the ballast with xenon - then used rubbing alcohol to clean the inside of the bumper - to make sure it adheres properly.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default DDMTuning or SharpHID (same brand)

Just some input on HID kits, i have used the SHARPHID kit on my A4 prior with no problems (it costs $150 back in the day) and only $75 now. They say lifetime warranty (never used it yet).

I ordered my HID kit from DDMtuning recently for my A5 (seems like they are the supplier) with lifetime warranty and the Error code eliminators for about $70 shipped (both the HID kit and the Error code eliminators) - can't beat that as the HOEN bulbs (which I am running currently cost me $40 plus shipping without a lifetime warranty).

I will post an update once i install them and let you guys know if the error code eliminators are required (since I got them in anticaption of needing them).

FYI - the HOEN bulbs are actually pretty good (I've had them on my fogs on the A4 as well - all weather endurance) - they aren't as bright as HIDs, but are a good substitute when not going that route.

So that choice is up to you in terms of what you are looking for, i think the HID 3000K will be a lot brighter (as can be seen on this post).

Cheers...
Old 04-18-2010, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I ordered mine on Thursday morning [very early] and my kit arrive yesterday. I'll let ya know how it turns out. I ordered the 4300k or 5000k kit. It said in his ordering information to resend a email with all of your kit information as the ebay subject line said 4300k kit but in the ordering information there was nothing about about a 4300k kit. Either one will be fine but thought I'd share with you guys.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

For those of you who ordered the kit from bay where "cabriolet" ordered. What was the process in which you installed them?

I installed one fog light kit at first to make sure everything was working. I turned it on and it worked so I unplugged everything and mounted the ballast. Installed the other fog and turned it on and only the second one I installed turned on. I've read some information about the the auto headlights but haven't had much chance to diagnose it.

Quick Reply: Upgraded H11 fogs to 3000k Xenon