Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Upgraded H11 fogs to 3000k Xenon

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Imola Ghost
For those of you who ordered the kit from bay where "cabriolet" ordered. What was the process in which you installed them?

I installed one fog light kit at first to make sure everything was working. I turned it on and it worked so I unplugged everything and mounted the ballast. Installed the other fog and turned it on and only the second one I installed turned on. I've read some information about the the auto headlights but haven't had much chance to diagnose it.
You may have crossed + and -
thats what i did the first time, try switching the wires around

if that doesn't work - thats what $40 worth of Chinese filler from eBay gets you
Old 04-21-2010, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was sure that I had the red + wire coming out of the ballast and the black - wire coming out of the ballast.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I was sure that I had the red + wire coming out of the ballast and the black - wire coming out of the ballast.
Yeah - but the connectors that go into the stockH11 bulb aren't marked - i guessed which was + and -

Give it a shot - it worked for me
Old 04-21-2010, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, I switched around the stock harness and everything working fine now.

I went with the 4300k kit but they seem a little too bluish and don't quite match the stock xenons, so I may purchase some 3000k bulbs just to see and to have as backup.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, I switched around the stock harness and everything working fine now.

I went with the 4300k kit but they seem a little too bluish and don't quite match the stock xenons, so I may purchase some 3000k bulbs just to see and to have as backup.
Im glad it worked -
They're so cheap that you can get the 3000k just to see if you like the color better.
It still amazes me that the Chinese can produce something so cheap - getting of "cheap chinese goods" is like a crack-head trying to quit - HARD
Old 04-22-2010, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You bought the 3000k kit, how does it look compared to the stock xenons or LED's? I have an eye for color and can tell the slightest difference and the whole reason I went with the 4300k kit was because Audi tends to use 4300k bulbs for the xenons and thought they'd match perfectly, which was the whole point of getting this kit.

I think it's a great kit in terms of value, and it seems to be a quality made kit so I feel pretty good about the purchase and appreciate you being the test tube baby, LOL!
Old 04-22-2010, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You bought the 3000k kit, how does it look compared to the stock xenons or LED's? I have an eye for color and can tell the slightest difference and the whole reason I went with the 4300k kit was because Audi tends to use 4300k bulbs for the xenons and thought they'd match perfectly, which was the whole point of getting this kit.

I think it's a great kit in terms of value, and it seems to be a quality made kit so I feel pretty good about the purchase and appreciate you being the test tube baby, LOL!
Keep in mind Imola that i got the 3000k with the yellow tint (I actually didn't want the fogs to match the headlights)

So im not sure how the standard 3000k will look. your guess is as good as mine.

Also, did you get a chance to recode your LEDs through the Vag-Com? I have mine so that when the lights are in the park-position, the LEDs do not dim and this also allows for the fog lights to run.
For me its the ideal way to run when the sun is coming down - right before it gets too dark.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Imola, the 3000k kit is going to be on the yellow side of the spectrum. I'm guessing that company sent you a 5000k kit if you're saying it's a little on the blue side. HIDs usually get whiter as time goes by too. My old 6000k kit on one of my other cars is a lot whiter than when I first got them. If you really want them to match you can try and find 4300k bulbs.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i got my kit in today, but my car is at dealer for fuel pump or fuel injector replacement (9k miles! i have stuttering...)

anyhow, there is the ballast and bulbs with wiring. then there are 2 sets of wires (wire harness?) what do i do with the 2 sets of wiring? are they not needed? do i just plug the h11 bulbs to the ballast and ballast to the car?
Old 04-23-2010, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by flyfishing
i got my kit in today, but my car is at dealer for fuel pump or fuel injector replacement (9k miles! i have stuttering...)

anyhow, there is the ballast and bulbs with wiring. then there are 2 sets of wires (wire harness?) what do i do with the 2 sets of wiring? are they not needed? do i just plug the h11 bulbs to the ballast and ballast to the car?
I basically converts your stock wiring harness over to the needed wiring.

1) The black plastic harness is what plugs into your stock harness.
2) From there there are two black & red wires that you need to insert into the above harness. I can tell you that the colored wire on each fog is the positive wire, so keep that in mind.
3) The rest is pretty easy. Just lay it out and it will all fall in place. Also look at the positive and negative sides on the ballast keeping the red wire in the correct position.

Quick Reply: Upgraded H11 fogs to 3000k Xenon