Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

V1 Install in My S5

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 01:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flyfishing
sounds like you damaged v1. ouch...
Possibly but did you check the fuse itself for the V1 hardwire kit? IIRC there is an in-line fuse on this cord and the 12V power cord as well. I'm hoping it is that simple!
Old 10-02-2009, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bb vign
Possibly but did you check the fuse itself for the V1 hardwire kit? IIRC there is an in-line fuse on this cord and the 12V power cord as well. I'm hoping it is that simple!
It should be that easy, as those fuses are there to protect the V1.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Very nice - just the way hardwiring should be done. Much better than tapping dome light wires.

I used this for my hardwire: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=071-585#

Also, I've put the Concealed Display unit on the dash itself. Just below the odometer - using super glue and velcro. That way I don't have to look up/down while driving to figure out where the warning is coming from. I can take a pic if someone is interested.

Last edited by am_ver; 10-07-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by am_ver
That way I don't have to look up/down while driving to figure out where the warning is coming from. I can take a pic if someone is interested.
can you please take a picture? i am interested in doing it the same way (which my mazda has also).
Old 10-07-2009, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

can you please take a picture? i am interested in doing it the same way (which my mazda has also).
Here you go. The V1 (main unit) is on the visor because we have a stupid law in CA that doesn't allow you to put suction cups on the windshield (law was amended last month to now allow gps thingies on lower portion of windshield).

The visor works great and no one knows that there is one in the car. I have hardwired using the fusebox on the driver side panel. The connector which connected CD and main unit if below (where the hood pop lever sits) and the CD wire is snaked through the steering column. Any questions - PM me or find me in the A6 forum.
Attached Images   
Old 10-08-2009, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unfortunately, the DIS for the A5 is larger than that in your A6. There isn't room to put the remote display in that location without blocking part of the DIS.

Which is a shame, since that is where I had the remote display in my A4, and it was a great location for it.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Hobbes
Unfortunately, the DIS for the A5 is larger than that in your A6. There isn't room to put the remote display in that location without blocking part of the DIS.

Which is a shame, since that is where I had the remote display in my A4, and it was a great location for it.
I'll post pics as soon as I can, but I mounted my remote display right on the steering wheel column (velcro) and it's perfect in that location. No drilling, gluing etc. Doesn't block the dash displays at all. V1 unit is on visor. Biggest issue was V1 falling off of visor bracket when passenger moved visor down but a little electrical tape solved that. I like the visor mount better than window mount cause no matter how high up on the window you mount it, it's still visible from the outside.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bb vign
Yes, there are two types of fuses: ATO and mini (ATO is larger). The fuses in the fuse block on the left-hand side of the dash are ATO so this one should work:

http://www.amazon.com/Littelfuse-FHA...4220714&sr=8-4

Good luck!
how do you put the 2 pronged thing from V1 connector into the ATO which has a round plug? Thanks.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

how do you put the 2 pronged thing from V1 connector into the ATO which has a round plug? Thanks.
oops not the prong (the ground), but the other plug from V1 connector...
Old 10-20-2009, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

oops not the prong (the ground), but the other plug from V1 connector...
Assuming you mean the two wires from the V1 hardwire kit? If so, the black ground wire is connected to an appropriate ground (see my pic on the first page of the thread). The red wire from the V1 hardwire kit is simply connected to the red wire from your "ATO Add-A-Circuit Kit". IIRC, all I did was use the supplied butt connector, crimp, wrap in electrical tape and done.

Quick Reply: V1 Install in My S5