Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Is the (V8) S5 a "keeper"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 AM
DHS
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the (V8) S5 a "keeper"?

I am looking at a used ('08-09) S5 as my third Audi.
My first was a '99 1.8T A4 which I drove for 150,000 miles. My second, and currect DD is an '01 S4 which just cracked 254,000 miles. It has been a great ride and extremely reliable - original engine, tranny and clutch. I get just under 30mpg on regular gas as well. And that B5 styling still turns my head - especially in Nogaro blue. But the car is reaching the end of its road and it is time to put it out to stud.
So I am considering a CPO S5 - manual - as a replacement. I tend to be a rather practical and even frugal person. But I spend 2.5 hours in the car every day for my 100 mile commute. So the car has to provide a quality environment and some fun. I live in rural Maine, so Quattro with dedicated snows is a must. I know "frugal" and the cost of feeding the S5 are incompatible. But people do report highway mileage in the low to mid 20's, and virtually all my driving is highway.
I considered an A3 with sport package and chip. But the fact that you can not get the Quattro with a manual is a deal breaker. The current A4 styling does not move me at all. The A5 is a contender. But the cost of one with sport/titanium and engine mods equals or exceeds the cost of an S5 with 40k miles +/-. I believe the S5/A5 styling is strong and will stand the test of time. The electronic gagentry makes me nervous, but that is unavoidable in a car of this caliber. The V8 has been around for a while in other iterrations, and that is comforting becasue I would hope to get at least 150,000 to 200,000 miles from it. And it is hard to imagine that driving this car would get "old." So before I sell my self more on this car as my next ride please tell me if you regard the car as a "keeper" or as a passing fancy.
Thanks.
David
Old 02-21-2012, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

The S5 is definitely a keeper if you appreciate the significant grunt and appealing rumble of a V8. However, the upcoming MY2013 coupe s/c V6 w/ S-tronic should be more fuel efficient as well as potentially more powerful (torque via higher boost tune). Buy what you enjoy today and don't look back, or forward, if the V8 appeals to you.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

My S5 Cab with the 3.0 SC engine gets about 26-27 mpg highway if you stay within 10 of the speed limit, that being 55-65 mph. The S5 has been perfect for 16 months. Just an FYI
Old 02-21-2012, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

David, I had a similar progression with my DD. I started my Audi experience with a 97 1.8T (manual) and seven years later moved to an Imola 2001 S4 (manual). I modified the S4 (APR chip, RS4 clutch with the stock clutch gave out, H&R coilovers) and drove it until last year when the urge to move on got strong.

I test drove the following over the period of a week:
- 07 RS4
- 2012 S4 (manual and S-tronic)
- 08 S5

They each had their strong points. I started with the S4s since they were, on paper, the leading contenders due to the fuel economy of Supercharged V6 vs the V8s in the other contenders. The V6 power delivery was just fine although the exhaust note was non-inspiring. The S-tronic was okay but I prefer a manual. The S4 manual made me feel like I was playing a video game, which was not the experience I was seeking. The S4 styling was handsome but nothing special and there wasn't as much to delineate it from A4 as there was with the B5 generation.

The RS4. Wow. What a drive. It was engaging and eager to rev. It was athletic and nimble. The exterior styling was aggressive but tasteful. The interior was based on the B7 platform and was nothing special. I almost pulled the trigger.

Our local dealer had just picked up a 2008 S5 (manual). I'd always loved the external styling. On the test drive, the transmission was more engaging than S4's manual. The internal styling was the best of the three and the seat the most comfortable. Love the exhaust note. One key difference between the S5 and the S4/RS4 is that the S5 drives like a GT car versus the sports sedan experience offered by the others--I prefer the latter but appreciate the former. I purchased the CPO S5 and have enjoyed the experience. I consider this car a keeper.

The majority of my driving is in-town so my mileage is in the mid to high teens. I probably would get a tad less with the RS4 and a few mpg more with the S4s. I get low 20's on the hwy.

Rob
Old 02-21-2012, 05:32 PM
DHS
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by candyman
I purchased the CPO S5 and have enjoyed the experience. I consider this car a keeper.
Rob, really appreciate your reply. It is interesting that we have traveled a very similar Audi road.
I did not test the RS4. Never had the opportunity (probably isn't one within 300 miles of where I live) nor do I really have an interest - except for titillation.
But I did spend a long weekend with a B5 S4 in manual. I was so prepared to be blown away, and was disappointed when I wasn't. No doubt, it has a great interior. It has that Audi feeling that the car is built from the driver out. The engine pulls strong and the car exudes quality. But there seem little to bond with. I suspect you know what I mean when I say that the B5 has some sort of soul. Perhaps it is because I have over 400,000 miles in them. But the B8 left me cold. The steering was crazy light at slow speeds. I found the car responsive but "darty," perhaps because of the 19" wheels which are a new experience for me. I too think I would, in my next car, prefer a more GT feel. Good to hear that the seats are great in the S5 - I thought the S4 seats were wonderful. Your mileage sounds reasonable as well. Out of curiosity, I researched and tested a Porsche Cayenne GTS - 400+ hp and about as much torque. Moving a 5000lb at around 5 flat is impressive. But it was just over the top vehicle and more of a curiosity than a room mate. I passed.
Again, thanks for your thoughts. I spoke to a dealer today about an '09 CPO that looks good. Enjoy your ride.
David
Old 02-22-2012, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The S5 is definitely a keeper. It's a fine balance between performance, mileage, luxury, and style.

Since the OP mentioned that the A4 styling does nothing for him, then don't go for the S4. I can't distinguish between an S4 and A4 on the road - they look very similar.

Since the OP is also concerned about mileage, the RS4 won't do either.

The S5 can get 24-26 MPG on the highway. Performance wise, it's a fast beast. And it has great styling and a luxurious ride compared to the A4/S4.

To me, it's the best bang for the buck compared to an RS5 (which is 0.3 seconds faster)
Old 02-22-2012, 05:26 PM
DHS
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ayap
The S5 is definitely a keeper. It's a fine balance between performance, mileage, luxury, and style.

Since the OP mentioned that the A4 styling does nothing for him, then don't go for the S4. I can't distinguish between an S4 and A4 on the road - they look very similar.

Since the OP is also concerned about mileage, the RS4 won't do either.

The S5 can get 24-26 MPG on the highway. Performance wise, it's a fast beast. And it has great styling and a luxurious ride compared to the A4/S4.

To me, it's the best bang for the buck compared to an RS5 (which is 0.3 seconds faster)
OP here and appreciate your comments.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The difference between A4 and S4 are the same differences between A5 and S5.

A4/S4/A5/S5 are all B8 platform cars, the real differences are just the 4 doors vs. 2 doors. Other than cosmetic differences, they are identical to each other, mechanically speaking. In fact, you can actually say that the S4 has better transmission choices (6 speed/S-Tronic) than the V8-S5 coupe (6 speed/Tiptronic).

You don't seriously think that's the only performance difference between the S5 and the RS5, do you ?

I know that you are really proud of your S5, but seriously ?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tifosi
A4/S4/A5/S5 are all B8 platform cars, the real differences are just the 4 doors vs. 2 doors. Other than cosmetic differences, they are identical to each other, mechanically speaking.
Identical? Not quite. A5/S5 is lower, wider, shorter (both the total car and the wheelbase) and the suspension is somewhat different. The end result is that the driving experience is quite different between the two.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tifosi, to many S5 owners, they got the S5 vs. the S4, because the S5 looks better. So Cosmetic differences matters in these decisions. How many times have S5 owners posted how they like the look of the S5 and not the look of the S4 ... just do a search.

The 7-speed S-Tronic transmission of the S4 I've driven was nowhere as smooth as the 6-speed tranny of S5. If you do a search, there are problems with the S-Tronic DSG tranny.

You can read some of the nasty problems of the S4's S-tronic tranny (see link below). Augghhhh, I cringe when I read this and compare how smooth my S5's reliable Tip tranny is. Many S4 owners have this complain.

http://www.s4forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4288

If I were not too concern about cosmetics, I would have taken a Nissan GTR since my dealer offered one for $68K instead of $90K (a manager's discount). The car's ugly, but can do 2.9 seconds.

Quick Reply: Is the (V8) S5 a "keeper"?