Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Is the (V8) S5 a "keeper"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ayap
If I were not too concern about cosmetics, I would have taken a Nissan GTR since my dealer offered one for $68K instead of $90K (a manager's discount). The car's ugly, but can do 2.9 seconds.
68K for 2.9 seconds, I don't care what the car looks like haha. Considering getting a V8 S5 used, not sure if it would be better to go with the V6 new. Prefer to save on the price of the car, but how much more gas am I using in the V8 over the 6 in the long run?
Old 02-23-2012, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tifosi, to many S5 owners, they got the S5 vs. the S4, because the S5 looks better. So Cosmetic differences matters in these decisions. How many times have S5 owners posted how they like the look of the S5 and not the look of the S4 ... just do a search.

The 7-speed S-Tronic transmission of the S4 I've driven was nowhere as smooth as the 6-speed tranny of S5. If you do a search, there are problems with the S-Tronic DSG tranny.

You can read some of the nasty problems of the S4's S-tronic tranny (see link below). Augghhhh, I cringe when I read this and compare how smooth my S5's reliable Tip tranny is. Many S4 owners have this complain.

http://www.s4forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4288

If I were not too concern about cosmetics, I would have taken a Nissan GTR since my dealer offered one for $68K instead of $90K (a manager's discount). The car's ugly, but can do 2.9 seconds.
Looks are subjective and we are all entitle to our own opinion.

S-Tronic and Tiptronic are two completely different systems. There is little arguement to be made as to which is the better performer of the two. If you consider the S5 as a sports car or a GT, logic would say that the S-Tronic is the system that the car should have been mated to. IMO, I still prefer manual but it would appear that the S-Tronic/DSG type of system is going to be the future for all car manufactures around the world.

As for what has been reported here and on other forum, issues tends to get amplified as people tends to belong to multiple forums and will x-post they problems. I can easily find as many threads around talking about the carbon deposit issues with the direct injection engines as I can with S-Tronic systems or other problems.

Again, you can certainly dislike the GTR because of looks, but to disrespect what it can do is way over the top. Judging from the numbers that you are posting, it would appear that you are referring to just the 0-60 times, which in today's world, they are meaningless when you are talking about performance vehicles. Try 1/4 miles, 0-120, 0-100-0 times and if possible, lap times. The GTR and the RS5 are both superior to the S5, this should not be easily dismissed.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The S5 has no problem pulling to 120 mph in a very short time. I've done it with no hesitation from the engine. But I don't need to do 120 Mph everyday for daily driving. I don't track the car. Hence, the RS5 and GTR are pretty useless to me, since the S5 can accomplish a good run for daily driving. I never disrespected the GTR's performance - I said cosmetically it is Ugly for my taste, but that has nothing to do with speed. You need to read about what Danica thought about her $200K Lambo - pretty useless car for taking it to the grocery. The OP was asking about a different question, not solely about performance. If we was solely concern about performance, I would have given him another answer.

I don't know why you keep on insisting about performance cars - that's not what the OP was asking. If you have such lowly opinion of the S5, why not get a GTR then? It's the speed king. I don't care if that car gets me to 200 MPH in 5 seconds, I still wouldn't buy it since it's not the car I want for a daily driver. I don't care about the lap time or 0-100. That's not what this thread is all about. The Op said he was being 'practical and frugal'. High Performance cars like the RS5 and GTR are not for the frugal or practical at $90K.

Originally Posted by Tifosi
Looks are subjective and we are all entitle to our own opinion.

Again, you can certainly dislike the GTR because of looks, but to disrespect what it can do is way over the top. Judging from the numbers that you are posting, it would appear that you are referring to just the 0-60 times, which in today's world, they are meaningless when you are talking about performance vehicles. Try 1/4 miles, 0-120, 0-100-0 times and if possible, lap times. The GTR and the RS5 are both superior to the S5, this should not be easily dismissed.

Last edited by ayap; 02-23-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

When I went to my local Nissan dealer, I was actually looking at the 370Z - this was before I bought the S5. They had a Gold GTR that was sitting on the showroom for months. Since the General manager saw I was driving an Audi A6 avant, he practically beg me to take that Gold GTR off his showroom. But there's just no way I'm going to drive a Golden Brown car. Literally, it's the color of turd

Originally Posted by BirdmanQ5
68K for 2.9 seconds, I don't care what the car looks like haha. Considering getting a V8 S5 used, not sure if it would be better to go with the V6 new. Prefer to save on the price of the car, but how much more gas am I using in the V8 over the 6 in the long run?
Old 02-23-2012, 05:25 PM
DHS
AudiWorld Member

If we was solely concern about performance, I would have given him another answer.
OP here. Quite so.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The S5 has no problem pulling to 120 mph in a very short time. I've done it with no hesitation from the engine. But I don't need to do 120 Mph everyday for daily driving. I don't track the car. Hence, the RS5 and GTR are pretty useless to me, since the S5 can accomplish a good run for daily driving. I never disrespected the GTR's performance - I said cosmetically it is Ugly for my taste, but that has nothing to do with speed. You need to read about what Danica thought about her $200K Lambo - pretty useless car for taking it to the grocery. The OP was asking about a different question, not solely about performance. If we was solely concern about performance, I would have given him another answer.

I don't know why you keep on insisting about performance cars - that's not what the OP was asking. If you have such lowly opinion of the S5, why not get a GTR then? It's the speed king. I don't care if that car gets me to 200 MPH in 5 seconds, I still wouldn't buy it since it's not the car I want for a daily driver. I don't care about the lap time or 0-100. That's not what this thread is all about. The Op said he was being 'practical and frugal'. High Performance cars like the RS5 and GTR are not for the frugal or practical at $90K.
Do you realize that you were the one that brough both the RS5's and GTR's 0-60 numbers into this thread, or don't you (As a reminder, see the two quotes from you below) ?

To me, it's the best bang for the buck compared to an RS5 (which is 0.3 seconds faster)
and

The S5 is a great car in its own right but it is not anywhere close to being on the same level as a RS5 or a GTR, with the exception of ride quality as the other two are not going to be as forgiving on the streets for obivious reasons.

As for Danica, do you really need her to tell you that a Lambo is not a good grocery getter ? Really ? And also, it would appear that Tiptronic system is not exactly bulletproof either

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...r-side-effects

Last edited by Tifosi; 02-23-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Tifosi,
So what if I brought out the GTR and RS5 in my discussion about the practicality of the S5? I discussed both cars in the context that their performance was not substantially better than the S5 for daily driving. That's why I said the S5 is the 'best bang for the buck'. So, if you don't understand the term "the S5 is the best bang for the buck', it means means for practicality sake the S5 can be had for $55K while the RS5 and GTR for $90K. Why do you keep on being argumentative. There's no question that the RS5 and GTR are performance cars that's $35,000-$40,000 more expensive than the S5, but for daily driving, I wouldn't pay that extra amount. It's just not practical. I hope you get that, because you keep arguing otherwise. I still stick to my quote 'the S5 is the best bang for the buck' as a daily driver.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Actually, with ever increasing gas prices, the A5 2.0T (with a tune) is the daily driver 'best bang for the buck.' But comparing RS5 to S5 I concur S5. The RS5 sure sounds great tho'.

Tifosi,
So what if I brought out the GTR and RS5 in my discussion about the practicality of the S5? I discussed both cars in the context that their performance was not substantially better than the S5 for daily driving. That's why I said the S5 is the 'best bang for the buck'. So, if you don't understand the term "the S5 is the best bang for the buck', it means means for practicality sake the S5 can be had for $55K while the RS5 and GTR for $90K. Why do you keep on being argumentative. There's no question that the RS5 and GTR are performance cars that's $35,000-$40,000 more expensive than the S5, but for daily driving, I wouldn't pay that extra amount. It's just not practical. I hope you get that, because you keep arguing otherwise. I still stick to my quote 'the S5 is the best bang for the buck' as a daily driver.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
Actually, with ever increasing gas prices, the A5 2.0T (with a tune) is the daily driver 'best bang for the buck.' But comparing RS5 to S5 I concur S5. The RS5 sure sounds great tho'.
it sure is for me !!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BirdmanQ5
The 6 will get about 2-4MPG better on the HWY pretty much all the time. In the city its very close and really depends on your right foot. Driving like Ms. Daisy with both the 6 will get about 1-2MPG better. Driving normal there basically a wash for the most part in the city from what the real world users are reporting.