Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Very confused: Audi service dept. told me not to get all season tires.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 03:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very confused: Audi service dept. told me not to get all season tires.....

I have A5 2.0T. My pirelli p zeros are getting a little bare after 24,000 miles. I have the 19" Y spoke rims. I wanted to get some all seasons tires and he said not to. He said the tread pattern on these all seasons dont work well with the quattro and that I will get bad car vibrations after 10,000 miles. He said the tread doesnt last longer than pirelli high performance tires i have now. is this true?

Also, one my rims are badly damaged, they said a new 19" y spoke will be $683. any reputable place online i can get one cheaper?
Old 12-10-2012, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

I dont know if the all seasons run rough on 19's, but i know cheaper aggressive tread tires are very noisy with Quattro
Check out the Continental Extreme DWS tire, its cheaper and All season
Old 12-10-2012, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find this hard to believe. Our Q5 has Michelin all seasons and it has Quattro. And if my S5 were a daily driver that I needed to take out in cold/snowy mid Hudson Valley New York, I would need to get all seasons. I now have 19" peelers on performance "Z" rated Conti-sport-contact.

I recently used Tirerack for another daily driver and I had them installed and balanced at Sears for $11.50 per tire. Great deal IMO as their selection is huge.

As for the rim, I was able to get a set of 4 OEM Audi 19" Y spoke with tires at a great price from ebay. It was however a local pick-up.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The all season tires for my size they had in stock were the Conti DWS and the michelin a/s.

he said i shouldnt get either of those for my a5. that contradicted everything i read on this forum. how much longer does the tread last on the conti dws as opposed to the pirelli p zero ultra high performance?
Old 12-10-2012, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 550 Likes on 370 Posts

Both sets of A/S tires will have better trade life than the summer tires you're replacing. The guy fed you a line of BS when he said that the A/S tires will wear faster and not work well with quattro. They certainly won't have the same level of dry grip as the summer tires, but will have a longer life.

What's the price difference between the A/S tires and the tires that the guy is trying to sell you?

Last edited by JD15; 12-10-2012 at 05:28 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JD15
Both sets of A/S tires will have better trade life than the summer tires you're replacing. The guy is feeding you a line of BS when he said that the A/S tires will wear faster and not work well with quattro. What's the price difference between the A/S tires and the tires that the guy is trying to sell you?
The conti DWS all season is what I want, tirerack has them for $243 per tire. Audi dealer charges almost $300 per tire. he said the price difference between the all season and summer is not much and that i shouldnt get all seasons anyways because the tread is not compatible with quattro. straight from the horses mouth Audi Tysons corner service dept. I am so glad i read these forums and get real world reviews.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had DWS tires on my old Audi S5. Talk about a great ALL round tire. Great wear should last 40K plus, no flat spots after sitting. quiet, incredible in the snow ( had them on my wife's Honda) even though my Audi never saw the stuff. Great in the rain. You will love these all year round. Not a track tire!
Old 12-10-2012, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shazeh
The conti DWS all season is what I want, tirerack has them for $243 per tire. Audi dealer charges almost $300 per tire. he said the price difference between the all season and summer is not much and that i shouldnt get all seasons anyways because the tread is not compatible with quattro. straight from the horses mouth Audi Tysons corner service dept. I am so glad i read these forums and get real world reviews.
There are reasons to or not to buy All-Season tires, but compatibility with Quattro is not one of them. Your service advisor is unfortunately, very wrong and very un-educated. This type of events really makes you wonder about what sort of "training" does AoA require for one to become a service advisor.

As for the wheel, try to see if it is repairable. If not, your best bet for just one wheel is to try CL or Classified section here on AW. But it may be difficult to find a seller that is willing to part with just one wheel.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Tifosi
There are reasons to or not to buy All-Season tires, but compatibility with Quattro is not one of them. Your service advisor is unfortunately, very wrong and very un-educated. This type of events really makes you wonder about what sort of "training" does AoA require for one to become a service advisor.

As for the wheel, try to see if it is repairable. If not, your best bet for just one wheel is to try CL or Classified section here on AW. But it may be difficult to find a seller that is willing to part with just one wheel.
i was thinking about just getting tire fixed, but my current Pirelli P zeros summer tires, that came with the car have 24,000 miles on them. tread is starting to get a little bare. how many miles of tread should i expect on the pirelli pzeros?
Old 12-10-2012, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

At 24,000 miles you have been handed a gift. 15,000-20K is about the max on those.

Quick Reply: Very confused: Audi service dept. told me not to get all season tires.....