Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Washed my own car and got small scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wash the towels and mitts in the washer with regular laundry detergent, no fabric softners. I throw them in the dryer for 20 minutes, static isn't a problem. I wouldn't wash a sheepskin mitt, just a microfiber one. I wash my Zymol sponges from time to time, and they still last 50+ washes.

If you don't have an HE washer, you can wash them with a small shot of Dawn.

Dawn is very good at removing wax, hence the need for real car wash soap/shampoo, rather than dishsoap.

A good rinse before washing will help remove a lot of big things that can hurt the finish, but ultimately, the dirt should be taken into the sponge/mitt, then rinsed out in the second bucket.

A trip to a detailer will be a big help, but you may prefer to DIY it. A Porter Cable/good set of pads/materials will pay for themselves after a few rounds, but it takes time to learn...

In the end though, even with great care, a black car will still pick up swirls in the sun, it's impossible to keep it perfect.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I followed all the instructions on the videos to wash my car yesterday and i noticed that there were some white spots (calcium spots) on the car this morning. I can't really wash them off. Anyway to get rid of them?

Originally Posted by PDong
Wash the towels and mitts in the washer with regular laundry detergent, no fabric softners. I throw them in the dryer for 20 minutes, static isn't a problem. I wouldn't wash a sheepskin mitt, just a microfiber one. I wash my Zymol sponges from time to time, and they still last 50+ washes.

If you don't have an HE washer, you can wash them with a small shot of Dawn.

Dawn is very good at removing wax, hence the need for real car wash soap/shampoo, rather than dishsoap.

A good rinse before washing will help remove a lot of big things that can hurt the finish, but ultimately, the dirt should be taken into the sponge/mitt, then rinsed out in the second bucket.

A trip to a detailer will be a big help, but you may prefer to DIY it. A Porter Cable/good set of pads/materials will pay for themselves after a few rounds, but it takes time to learn...

In the end though, even with great care, a black car will still pick up swirls in the sun, it's impossible to keep it perfect.