Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Ways to soften suspension on an RS5

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleA4
Thanks everyone for your responses. Many of the responses seem practical and relatively simple too. I'll let you know if he dives in.
I acquired my RS5 in February and now approaching 14k miles. With suspension set to "dynamic" the ride is noticeably firmer than "comfort". Had an S5 prior and comfort in RS is like normal in the S. I use as a daily driver here in ND and have no complaints about the car or the ride.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,070 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by mhblaw
I acquired my RS5 in February and now approaching 14k miles. With suspension set to "dynamic" the ride is noticeably firmer than "comfort". Had an S5 prior and comfort in RS is like normal in the S. I use as a daily driver here in ND and have no complaints about the car or the ride.
Not sure where OP is located, but in the US, all RS5 come with fixed suspension. Crash requirements required a redesign of the rear bumper area, which left no room for the DRC valves.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 395 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleA4
Ways to soften suspension on an RS5

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fff; COLOR: #fff" SIZE=1>
Double, it's probably a very simple solution: find a different car

God only knows how many friends I've had that come out of soft-riding cars (luxury Japanese and domestics) and can't stand the way their new German car rides over rough surfaces. I've seen cases where people refuse to drive the car any longer. Another critical factor is the conditions of the roads where the car will be operated.

Is the S5 really going to be a better choice ??
Old 10-02-2013, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uberwgn

God only knows how many friends I've had that come out of soft-riding cars (luxury Japanese and domestics) and can't stand the way their new German car rides over rough surfaces. I've seen cases where people refuse to drive the car any longer. Another critical factor is the conditions of the roads where the car will be operated.

In his words, he's 90% there. His car resume includes his current X5M and 135i and has had an Allroad along with a race-prepped mustang. So, its not like doesn't have familiarity with the german way of suspending cars or with stiff suspensions. There is a lot going into the selection process: looks, sounds, feel, performance and the RS5 is closer than most have gotten. I can't speak from experience because I didn't get in the RS5 and drive it however I feel my S5 is fairly soft, even in dynamic. He has been in my S5 and felt the ride was where he wanted to be. We did discuss a supercharged V6 S5 and chipping it but then you have your warranty concerns that you don't want to have to worry about (see Harris' chipped S4 outrun an RS4 on youtube, impressive).
Old 10-02-2013, 08:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I've had my RS5 for almost a week and I constantly marvel at how compliant the ride is relative to it's handling capabilities. Anyway, in my experience, going from 19" wheels to 18" wheels makes a big difference in ride comfort...so I'd imagine going from 20" to 19" would make the ride more comfortable.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn

Totally agree. Guys that want a softer ride should buy softer cars, not 'race inspired' cars. I put race inspired in quotes because the price of RS cars is so high that buyers want luxury.

These buyers dilute the fun for the rest of us (Manufacturers soften the car up a bit, or a lot.)
Old 10-03-2013, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a very interesting forum. I spent over 81k on an RS5 because of what it is and so far I am satisfied. I really do not wish to be derisive, so buy a nice S5, find a good body shop to wide body it and replace the grill and rear fascia, re badge it as an RS5, have the engine chipped and tuned and no one will be the wiser if you don't race it. If you can afford a RS5, you can afford to do this. Sell the RS5, they are scarce and someone will be glad to endure the ride quality.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, it seems we have gotten a bit off topic. Am looking for suggestions to take an RS5 and, if possible, soften the ride. From what I now understand, it looks like 19" rims and a coilover would be the best approach in tandem. Anything else would be too involved and at that point, it is what most have said here, move on to another vehicle.

Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
5) Install Alu Kreuz.

The Alu Kreuz does not directly affect the suspension, but the increased torsional rigidity has a positive impact on the ride quality. It seems to absorb uneven roads better and settles nicer. As the previous poster suggested, I had initially lowered my tire pressure to the minimum recommend (normal load), but after installing the Alu Kreuz, I went back to the full load tire pressure and am very happy with the ride quality now.
I always wondered about Alu Kreuz. It seems that it has no obvious disadvantages. Does that mean that Audi literally spent billions of dollars engineering these cars and yet couldn't think of simple design like Alu Kreuz themselves? Or could it be that there are some downsides to an overly stiff drivetrain stabilizer that we are simply not aware of (something to do with crash safety perhaps)?
Old 10-03-2013, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MonzaA5
I always wondered about Alu Kreuz. It seems that it has no obvious disadvantages. Does that mean that Audi literally spent billions of dollars engineering these cars and yet couldn't think of simple design like Alu Kreuz themselves? Or could it be that there are some downsides to an overly stiff drivetrain stabilizer that we are simply not aware of (something to do with crash safety perhaps)?
I would say, they spent billions on a design then they value engineered the crap out of it. Have you seen what the Alu Kruetz replaces? My old dirt bike from the 5th grade had a better build quality.

Quick Reply: Ways to soften suspension on an RS5