Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

We have "good" news about your order...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

"That's the classiest car I've ever seen" is a comment I've gotten twice out of the blue in my short month of ownership, and I've not seen another one in my area!
Old 03-31-2011, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think anybody should whine about ordering a rare car.

S5's are getting almost non-existent in some parts of the country and new inventory is dwindling fast. I'd be happy to wait 6 months to order a car I really wanted.

It's exclusive, rare, & will have a high resale value down the road.

We're spoiled in the United States with how cheap and how fast we can get out cars delivered compared to other parts of the world.

But I have a funny feeling that something else might be up with the S5. It might get the 3.0 S/C engine for 2012. I hope it keeps the V8, but can't deny the logic and sense of Audi wanting to put the S/C in there.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2012 MY will keep the 4.2-litre V8. It won't be until the 2013 MY (in late 2012) until Audi plans to refresh the platform and then drop in the new motor.

As I've posted before, be it here or another forum, it does not make any financial sense for Audi to have to re-certify a new drive train for one model year before doing a refresh of the entire platform. Even more so for a lower volume car, than say an A4 or A6. That's part of the reason why the 2011 A6 and the S5 coupe still have the 6-speed Tiptronic.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jperryrocks
I don't think anybody should whine about ordering a rare car.
It's more of a lack of communication from the dealer, and the fact that they told me my car had been ordered when it never had. If only I could borrow $5000 interest free for 30 days from every potential buyer....

Anyway, things turned out better today. I found the EXACT car I wanted (with the titanium package) and am having it shipped here next week. Price was fair and the dealer is honoring my loyalty discount even though they are 1600 miles away. I just had to email them my registration and insurance info for the A8.

And how rare do you think a S5 is? Honestly.... You act like this is a RS car.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Sccpmusc26; 04-01-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sccpmusc26
And how rare do you think a S5 is? Honestly.... You act like this is a RS car.
you just said you had to get a car 1600 miles away from you.. isnt that proof enough of the rarity??
Old 04-01-2011, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sccpmusc26
It's more of a lack of communication from the dealer, and the fact that they told me my car had been ordered when it never had. If only I could borrow $5000 interest free for 30 days from every potential buyer....
This is what I understand happens when custom ordering a car. A request is entered by your dealership, if they are due for an allocation and it isn't too late to make changes, that will be your car. If not, your order will go on a waiting list until the next allocation and this will repeat until your order comes up. That's when dealership/you will receive a commission number confirming that the order has been received and accepted by Audi. Following that, the dealership/you will then be given an estimated build date, shipping date and ETA.

Basically, you dealer may did indeed "placed" an order for you but it got stuck on the waiting list and as a result, got pushed back as a 2012 model by the factory.

Needless to say, your dealership can certainly try to locate and trade for a car that is to your specification. However, it takes two dealership to make a trade and the incentive has to be great enough for both to have a trade happen. From the photo you posted, it appears that you ordered the Titanium package, which are not that common. That will explain why that car is 1,600 Miles as oppose to being in the next town.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tifosi

Basically, you dealer may did indeed "placed" an order for you but it got stuck on the waiting list and as a result, got pushed back as a 2012 model by the factory.

...you ordered the Titanium package, which are not that common. That will explain why that car is 1,600 Miles as oppose to being in the next town.

If the dealer hadn't said they had allocation at the time of my deposit, I would have never ordered from them. The problem was they told me I had their only "spot" for the month.

And you're right about the Ti package. I found quite a few S5's closer to me (obviously) but really wanted the Ti package. Since I couldn't order a new S5 with the package (they stopped the Ti package until 2012), I figured I would try to find one.

@gd10: The probability of finding EXACTLY what you want obviously decreases when you have a smaller radius. Try seeing how close a 2011 A4 prestige auto, black on black with titanium is to you. Would you consider the A4 a rare car?

Regardless, I didn't start this thread to argue about the rarity of the vehicle. I was simply venting about the dealer guaranteeing allocation and holding a large deposit for 30 days. In the end, I'm more happy with the S5 I found since it has a package that currently is unavailable for the remainder of the 2011 model year.

/Thread