Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017
View Poll Results: What is covering your garage floor?
nothing
62.50%
paint and/or epoxy resin
25.00%
Interlocking tiles like Racedeck
12.50%
mats
0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

What is covering your garage floor ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlanS
I'm in the middle of a garage update now.

I had a section of sheetrock replaced in the ceiling this morning where some idiot :-) put a leg through a year ago. The painters are coming Monday to retape and spackle many of the wall joints and give everything a fresh coat of paint.

Our floor has never had a coating put on it and has no cracks, so we're going to prep with a degreaser, acid etch the surface and then apply an epoxy coating. We're going to use ArmorSeal 1000HS. The painter has done this for the local Hummer and Chevy dealers as well as some other commercial locations, so he has some experience with it. We'll throw in a little sand to make sure the floor isn't slippery.

We'll be using some of the Garageworks products in the pictures above. We had GarageTek come by (here in New York) and they want to put plastic on everything and we way too expensive.
My main concerns with epoxy is that the prep and the time to prep are cumbersome. Any rushed prep work will severely compromise the job. More than that is that I have read many complaints about the epoxy lifting under the tires from something called "hot tire". Even when the prep work is done properly.

The epoxy jobs at the Hummer and Jeep dealer don't get the same wear and tear as your garage floor will. Probably don't get too many cars parking on them after a 2 hr drive.

Have you asked about this?
Old 10-02-2009, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mgd99
My main concerns with epoxy is that the prep and the time to prep are cumbersome. Any rushed prep work will severely compromise the job. More than that is that I have read many complaints about the epoxy lifting under the tires from something called "hot tire". Even when the prep work is done properly.
Yes. I spent extra time on prep, going further than recommended, and still have lifting of the epoxy coating I put on my floor. However, my product was the consumer-grade coating and it looks like Alan might be going with something a bit more commercial-grade.