Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

What do you use to handwash your car

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zaino products are the best in my opinion

go to zaino brothers web site
Old 09-08-2009, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Hobbes
You should wash using the two-bucket method. One bucket is filled with water and just used to rinse your wash mitt (a good-quality wool mitt is best), the second bucket is filled with the soapy water and is used to soap up the mitt. Ideally you would also have grit guards in the bucket to rub off the mitt and keep the heavier dirt separated and prevent it from getting back into the mitt. A good-quality wash soap formulated for cars is best and won't strip the wax off the car.

This method is designed to lift dirt off of the car and minimize the amount of dirt that is dragged on the paint during the wash process. Having dirt in the mitt is what causes swirls in the finish. A well-performed two-bucket wash is dramatically better for your paint finish than going to a car wash, particularly car washes that aren't touchless.

Check out Autopia.org for all the good detailing info you could ever want.
Hobbes really knows what he's talking about. I personally do pretty much what he does. However, I use two mitts. One is relegated to the lower quarter panels. I start with a foam gun(shoots out a really foamy mixture) then work one panel at a time. Rinsing the wool mitt is key. Rinse OFTEN with clean water. Make sure to use a good quality car soap (not dish washing liquid). Use fine quality microfibers for drying and for polishing. Drying microfibers are different than polishing types. This all sounds obsessive, but if you have a black/dark blue car it is absolutely necessary if you want to maintain great looking paint. Good Luck.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by basspro
Hobbes really knows what he's talking about. I personally do pretty much what he does. However, I use two mitts. One is relegated to the lower quarter panels. I start with a foam gun(shoots out a really foamy mixture) then work one panel at a time. Rinsing the wool mitt is key. Rinse OFTEN with clean water. Make sure to use a good quality car soap (not dish washing liquid). Use fine quality microfibers for drying and for polishing. Drying microfibers are different than polishing types. This all sounds obsessive, but if you have a black/dark blue car it is absolutely necessary if you want to maintain great looking paint. Good Luck.
Good additional tips. I would also add that you should never use the same wash mitt on the wheels. Also, the water used for the wheels should never be used for the paint. Either do the wheels last, or if doing them first change the water before starting on the paint. You don't want brake dust getting into the mitt you will use on your car, as it is very abrasive.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

As a new handwasher (and loving it!), just wanted to chime in. I have been happily using products from Griott's Garage. Great customer service and fast shipping. Their website is good, and their catalogue is even better.

As a newb, I also found their Detailing Handbook (which talks about washing, waxing, and polishing in great detail) to extremely helpful.

-- plA4keeps
Old 09-17-2009, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by parkplace
go to zaino brothers web site
Thats what I use Zanio and it does a fantastic job, washing and waxing.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by boxter
read this first https://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext51.shtml then ask phil@detailersdomain here https://www.audiworld.com/forums/auto-detailing-discussion-31/ what products he'd recommend. good luck.
+1 for Phil at Detailer's Domain - great help / info / products / service.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good additional tips. I would also add that you should never use the same wash mitt on the wheels. Also, the water used for the wheels should never be used for the paint. Either do the wheels last, or if doing them first change the water before starting on the paint. You don't want brake dust getting into the mitt you will use on your car, as it is very abrasive.
Fellas,

I'm back. I turned in my second A4 lease in 2006. I ran across a great deal on a Boxster. It was alright, but not an Audi. I get slack from my Porsche driving friends all the time, about going back to Audi. I just got my new A5 on last Sat. I'm back baby! I got the Gray. I don't think it is Meteor. It is an 09. At any rate, on to the point. I hand washed her yesterday. I used the two bucket/mitt method with all pro products. I ran into a problem with drying. I washed it in the shade and then dried it using a leather sham. I have more than a few water spots and the sham made smear lines in places that I tried to rub harder to remove the water spots. What do you guys recommend I use to dry the car? I'm only one guy, buy the time I finish the wheels more than half of the car has air dried.

Suggestions welcome.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ive been using poorboys wax and sealants for a while,then Gold class shampoo when i wash, and deff use two buckets and separate wash mitts for the paint and rims. Start from the top, the bottom for last. I use a third mitt for the door sills and below. I also use a cali blade to get the water off, then a waffle weave towel. If i get water spots I use Mequiars Quik Detail . I think a good microfiber towel is key.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JusWannaGroove
What do you guys recommend I use to dry the car? I'm only one guy, buy the time I finish the wheels more than half of the car has air dried.

Suggestions welcome.
Get a waffle-weave microfiber towel. They are designed for this purpose and do the best job of drying without marring or streaking. They work better than standard microfiber towels and chamois. Your local auto store should have them, or any online detailing supply store (Detailers Domain, Autogeek) will carry them.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Get a waffle-weave microfiber towel. They are designed for this purpose and do the best job of drying without marring or streaking. They work better than standard microfiber towels and chamois. Your local auto store should have them, or any online detailing supply store (Detailers Domain, Autogeek) will carry them.
I will pickup a waffle-weave microfiber towel today. I'll let you know the results.

Thanks,