Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

What other cars...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely no regrets, but I drove a black 2007 S6 that had 35k miles, audicare and was certified pre-owned (still with some factory warranty left) because they happened to have it on the lot when I went to look at the A5. This car, while I realize is completely different than an A5, was a total beast. It sold 12 hours after I drove it. It really wasn't what I was looking for, but I have thought about it a few times.

When it comes down to it, there is nothing like a brand new car.

2010 A5 2.0T Brilliant Black 6MT Prestige
Old 05-26-2010, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I considered a Audi TTS, Audi A5, BMW 335is, BMW M3 and Mercedes E550 Coupe. It came down to appearance, usability and availability of options that I wanted. I never did see a TTS with the combination of options that I wanted. The 335is and A5 were VERY attractive to me, however, as the value proposition was slightly different. If the right combination of options had been available, I might have chosen them (especially the A5).
Old 05-27-2010, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I looked at the G37S, 335i coupe, and VERY seriously considered the S5 before I ended up with my Cayman S. (It actually all started, oddly enough, with the end of my patience waiting for the A3 2.0TQ to come to the States - but that's a long story!)

While I can't say enough good things about the CS, I have no doubt I would have been very, very happy with the S5 as well.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Aviator Gray/Blue TT
I considered a Audi TTS, Audi A5, BMW 335is, BMW M3 and Mercedes E550 Coupe. It came down to appearance, usability and availability of options that I wanted. I never did see a TTS with the combination of options that I wanted. The 335is and A5 were VERY attractive to me, however, as the value proposition was slightly different. If the right combination of options had been available, I might have chosen them (especially the A5).
What did you think of the E550 vs S5?
Old 05-27-2010, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I liked the E550's interior a lot. It has slightly better back seats for my kids, and its rear wheel drive configuration means that handling dynamics are more traditional (slip, throttle response characteristics). The dealership is much more conveniently located than my Audi dealer. But I'm a long-time quattro driver, so the quattro characteristics are not that jarring for me, and the overall throttle response and performance of the S5 is slightly superior. The S5 sounds better (although noisier inside) than the E550 as well.

My biggest problem, though, with the E550 is that the exterior of the car is kind of a mess to my eye. The front was designed by someone who speaks to me, but the back of the car looks like a mistake. It almost looks like someone was given a rough sketch to finish, did the front and sent it without remembering they hadn't finished the rear quarter panels and trunk. In contrast, the S5 is simply stunning in appearance to me. Other than the grill (for which I prefer the RS5 version), I wouldn't change anything. I can't think of a car that I ever thought that of.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Speedy
I looked at the G37S, 335i coupe, and VERY seriously considered the S5 before I ended up with my Cayman S. (It actually all started, oddly enough, with the end of my patience waiting for the A3 2.0TQ to come to the States - but that's a long story!)

While I can't say enough good things about the CS, I have no doubt I would have been very, very happy with the S5 as well.
cayman is a very ugly car, i like boxter or carrera
Old 05-27-2010, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by polishS5
cayman is a very ugly car, i like boxter or carrera
You say the Cayman is ugly, yet you like the Boxster
Old 05-27-2010, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

Speedy, the Cayman is beautiful. Love the color too. Great choice.

I test drove the 335i Convertible a couple of times and would have probably been happy with it had the S5 Cab never been introduced. No regrets at all in getting the S5.

I also test drove a G37 Coupe and ended up driving one home. ;-) It's a great car as well, but I prefer the Audi (even my A5 3.2, when I had it).
Old 05-28-2010, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Natewcl
What did you think of the E550 vs S5?
The only thing better about the Mercedes is its seats. They offer all kinds of back support that the Audi does not come close to, but other than that the Mercedes is still boring, blends in and doesnt get to much attention on the street, the complete opposite of the S5.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by atombomb33
You say the Cayman is ugly, yet you like the Boxster
Ditto.. How can you say the cayman is ugly and you like the boxter. Cayman looks mean if you do it up right

Quick Reply: What other cars...